Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: It's become clear that I am being forced to buy TURNTABLES

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Spend any amount of time in a good record store or a good online record store for DJs and it will quickly become apparent that all the coolest stuff is on vinyl only. The year is 2005 (almost 2006) and all the coolest stuff for DJs is being made on vinyl only? What is that?

First it was the "Dusty Fingers" collection, vol 1-13. They are finally being released on CD though. Thank god. But there are many more records I want on CD but they are not available. I like the "Fillin Tha Gap" series on vinyl too,.. especially the fact that all the tracks have a clean 8 bars of intro beat for easy mixin. These would be nice on CD but as far as I know, they don't make them.

I spent a while over at turntablelab.com the other day,.. listening to samples of vinyl records that they have, IN STOCK,.. that do not have CD releases. This makes me very jealous of people who have turntables. Grrrrr.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 5:47 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
just get a decent turntable with low wow and flutter and use rip vinyl or something to transfer them over to whatever you want

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 5:54 pm
I am really surprised too about how much is still produced on vinyl. As for me I like alot of the Old School House Music and unfortunately most of the good stuff is only on vinyls. I thought that by now, nearly 2006, that most if not all would be CDs.

But I don't think that you want to go to vinyl...think of the back pain from carrying all those records around.

MS

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 5:54 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It has always been like this for DJs. Most of the latest and greatest tracks come out on vinyl. Some clubs still don't even have CD players, but all of that is ofcourse changing. A good DJ should learn how to play on both turntables and CDs. I am slowly transfering to digital by only buying tracks on records that are not available in any other format. I still carry about 80 records with me to a club every time. It's no big deal, I like my shiny record case. When bouncers at the door see you carrying one, they can always tell you're a DJ and let you in :) Soon I might start carrying just a laptop and a bunch of CDs in there.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 6:13 pm
I was DJing on vinyl before most of the posters on this forum were even born yet. I am not going backwards, meaning I am not going to start carrying a stack of record with me everywhere I go. I will probably just get one turntable and house it in my home and use it to rip the vinyl to mp3 only. This seems like a reasonable compromise I suppose.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 6:31 pm
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well the digital stores are starting to catch up pretty quickly.
It takes a little longer to find what you want, but you'll find that you can get most (house & electro) tracks by browsing through: beatport, djdownload, xpressbeats, atsdigital, stompy,traxsource,clickgroove,karmadownload and itunes.

Not all, but 90% of what's on vinyl.
For the other 10%, yeah we could buy records, or we can just ignore those tracks and fine better digital ones.

For hip hop, vinyl is still the way to go (though you can get most top 40 stuff on cds or itunes)
For trance/techno, I don't know.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 10:30 pm
I recommend to all DJs that use a lot of different scratches in their mixes to get at least one turntable and some vinyl to practice scratches with. Once you’ve mastered a scratch with vinyl, record it. Try to perform the same scratch with VDJ using the same beats or music and record it. Compare the sound of the scratches. Make any necessary adjustments until your VDJ scratches sound close to your vinyl scratches. Also, like Dj Xeo posted, it is good to have a turntable to record music from vinyl.

OO

Posted Mon 12 Dec 05 @ 12:17 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)