Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Let's Get Ready to Build (a VDJ PC)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

That went well...

Sorry, okay here's my question/theory: What would you modify or suggest to a new system built with these specs?

I haven't picked a motherboard yet, but looking at ASUS (fairly reliable company)
Something with PCI-E
Graphics would be 7800 GTX OC'ed (One comes with a lifetime warranty I was looking at)
2 GB matched ram @ 2.5 latency
2 37 GB 10,000 RPM SATA Drives for O/S and Editing Video Files in RAID 0 Stripped configuration
2 LARGE CAPACITY 7200 RPM SATA Drives for MP3s and MPEGs
1280x1024 LCD Monitor that I can mount to my rig somehow (will be studying cyders)
Rane MP4 for sound
3U Rack Mount Case with enough power (suggestions?)
CPU I'm stuck on... Opteron, FX or what? I want to spend up to $1000 on the CPU and I'd like the system to last 3 years (at least)

Posted Fri 09 Dec 05 @ 2:05 pm
HOLLY $h1*&^T !! ................ Mmmmmmmm that kinda hardware gonna cost a pretty penny!! BUT the bright side is with a little tweak here and a little tweak there that baby could have enough hardware to get ya into outaspace !................. dam dah da da !!!!! .......................making you the FIRST VDJ in space!! lol !

picturing it now the bright red logo splashed accoss your casing ..... 2 TT's as steering wheels .... mixer as your flight controls ....... 2 MASSIVE 21'' as your exhaust thrusts .........er ..... wait...... oopppss sorry there !! having a little bit of a bad acid flash back.....lmao !! ....................

seriously though very very nice machine you going to build there brother but operating system ??
longhorn perhaps providing all bugs are sorted out??

Posted Fri 09 Dec 05 @ 3:18 pm
Longhorn!? You mean Vista (now)...

No, probably not, but if the system works as anticipated, it should last me 3 years, that gives me 6 more months on XP Pro then the big convert, assuming VDJ will work on a 64 Bit Platform.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 05 @ 9:16 pm
Check my blog for my computer specs. I had one issue that was resolved when 3.1 was released; otherwise, the system has been running flawlessly. I work as a system admin for my regular day job.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 1:24 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i would reccomend one of the dual core AMDs as there will soon be supproted fully by windows and eclipse opterons and athlon FXs. and you never know VDJ mite rewrite the core of VDJ to take advantage of 64 bit processing extentions lol,(and naturaly in the process fix all the problems and give us the best DJ program ever lol)

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 1:37 am
AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor !!!! A must-have!
There is a 64bit version of Windows XP Pro out, that works better on a 64bit system than the older Windows XP Pro (32bit).
I think you also meen Western digital's 10,000RPM disks, but I'd suggest the bigger ones, since they are actually a lot faster. Otherwise it looks great :)
I have 2x western digital 250gb in RAID, making a big disk around 470gb total.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 05 @ 6:51 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Well,

This is an old debate, so if you want AMD maybe dual core will be better choice. Stay with Windows 32 bits, 32 bits applications don't care if you have a 64 bit operation system, and for now AMD 64 is internally a 32 bit processor, have 64 bit addressing and 64 bit registers, but the core is 32 bits (The same for actual Pentium 4 processors).

In case of Raid, try to buy a Promise Sata Raid controller and use RAID 10 or RAID 50, will have more benefits and performance (You need 4 hard disks).

You will have and amazing setup, congrats!

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 8:23 pm
Thanks guys...

I was looking at the ATHLON x2 Processors (the 4800+)

To be honest, I DJ/KJ/VJ two nights a week, so this would double as my MAIN SYSTEM at home and I'd use it to edit video AND play games like BF2. The raid configuration I was thinking would be for the OS and workdesk for my VIDEO edits (As well as fast loading for my games =^| )

I will say that I have become concerned over the years that my MP3s and Karaoke Files are degrading as I copy them from HDD to HDD... so the raid thing still might not be beneficial there. I don't think they degrade SITTING on the HDD, only when I transfer them.

Interesting point, the AMDs are still 32bit... is this true still for the 940 chipset?

Posted Sun 11 Dec 05 @ 9:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)