Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Fatal Error with video function

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a big problem.

I use VDJ 3.2 in my club on a AMD 2200Mhz, 1,5 GB RAM, Invidia FX 5200 grafic card, creative soundcard on windows xp pro.

When I use the video function and the visual effect or photo-slideshows the computer makes a fatal-crash (dialogbox: shutdown,recover) after some hours or the programm switch off without the dialog and I see the desktop. Then I can restart VDJ without a problem.

What's wrong with my computer or the software. I get crazy!!!
Is the computer to slow or do I have a wrong grafic card.

Also, when I load music, it's slower than without video. And when I switch on the hardware accelleration it makes no difference.

HELP ME quickly! ! !

Daniel

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 10:40 pm
djkikePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi,
do you mean your PC resets? What exactly happens?
Have you installed something recently?
have ypu got internet connection?

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 11:11 pm
I have had the EXACT same problems!

P4 2.8
1 Gig DDR 400
Nvidia 6600 Graphics
Waveterminal 192 Sound
XP Pro SP2
DX9

After running for a couple hours the video starts to bog down start dragging, even occaisionaly get clips from previous videos showing (Almost like the memory is full). If I load an MP3 it is harder on the machine than videos (and slower). Running visualizations almost chokes my machine. All of this gets worse the longer I run the program. A restart usually cures all.

I have about 2500 videos in one folder, a sort will freeze VDJ for about 45 seconds (Video and audio play fine during that time). Will putting my videos into folders make sorting faster?

I know the "Mixmeister" BPM utility is great for audio files but is there a utility that works on video files?

Any Ideas?

Partyman

Posted Sun 27 Nov 05 @ 1:13 am
No, the PC doesn't reset. There are two kinds of crashes. Either VDJ shows the dialog-box (Shutdown or recover) or VDJ finish very quickly and I just see the desktop.

Posted Sun 27 Nov 05 @ 1:55 pm
I notice this too.... it seems that after a few hours it's like something fills up.... I have to leave winamp open and ready with a song set to go because Virtual DJ slowly gets to the point where it takes over a minute to load a song into memory.... and if playback reaches the unbuffered line in the load view, it just loops and loops and you have to reboot vdj....

why does the software slow up like that? it only really seems to happen when I'm using videos or using visualization.....

it's very annoying to have to reboot virtual dj a couple times a night... a simple re-start fixes everything...

is there something that needs to be refreshing on it's own?

-Steve Lynch

Posted Sun 27 Nov 05 @ 9:54 pm
I heard of this problem before. I also had this problem when I analysed more than 1000 songs at a time. VDJ is storing the database only on exit. So probably all info is kept in memory.
What you could try is create a shortcut which saves your database. Check also if memory is released after this action.
What you also could do is open a new instance of vdj during your gig, say after an hour. Continue using this new instance and close the old one. Repeat this every hour.
Ewout

Posted Sun 27 Nov 05 @ 10:26 pm
Here are my possible diagnoses:

1. Most probably, the current VDJ release has some sort of memory leak bug... Where it doesn't release all of the memory it's using back into the stash, and that causes gradual memory consumption until it runs out and crashes. This kind of thing happens with lots of programs, and I can't really explain it from a more technical point of view, but you can also notice it with older versions of windows that ceased to function after 2 days without a reset. MSN Messenger also eats a lot of memory the longer it's left online.
Perhaps you could leave VDJ running for some time, press control+alt+del and check the memory usage in the task manager dialog. If it grows as time passes, probably the cause of your problems is this.

2. About the 45+ second lag, I'm pretty sure it happens when VDJ starts reading the metadata of each of the files (Title, artist, duration, etc). The more files in the folder, the longer this process takes. If you split them up by the first letter of the artist or by genre or anything, I'm sure it would take a lot less to analyze. This is also a feature that could be improved in later VDJ releases (checking metadata by steps so that the program doesn't lag while it's doing it).

About superstorm's patch solution, i'm quite confident that it will work. Maybe if you want to try something else, you could get one of those freeware "memory releaser" programs, although I'm not sure if they're any good or just scams. If you get one that works and solves your problems, let us know so the rest of the people with your same problem can use your fix ;)!!

Good luck,

sp.

Posted Sun 27 Nov 05 @ 10:38 pm
Well, I can't imagine that it has something to do with the RAM, because it only happens, when I use the video-funktion and I when used less RAM (512 MB) there where no crashes. So I think something happens with the CPU, cause when I use the video-funktion the time-line jumps and the songs need a long time to convert.

For example: When I deaktivate the video-function while I load a song, the songs loads faster. And when I activate it, it works slower.

So, I think they should really find a solution, because I don't wanne reload the programm many times in the night with an "oooohhhr" of my guests.

Daniel

Posted Mon 28 Nov 05 @ 9:56 am
Is really disgusting rstarting the program many times a night. Not professional enough. I have same problem. I have tested and done EVERYTHING you can imagine and problem continues. i honestly wont like to change programm but i must think on a pro solution. i hope VDJ team surprise us soon with a 3.3 version correcting bugs.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 4:56 am
I ENCOUNTER THE SAME PROBLEM TONIGHT WHEN I WAS RUNING A SLIDE SHOW IN THE SMALL VIDEO WINDOW, THE PROGRAM JUST SHUT DOWN TO THE DESKTOP IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG, I STILL HAVEN'T BEING ABLE TO SHOW JUST THE VIDEO IN THE TV, WITHOUT SHOWING ALL THE DECKS AND EVERYTHING I'M DOING, AND THAT WITH VIDEO ACTIVATED IN THE CONFIG. IN VDJ, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY FROM SUPPORT TEAM WOULD HELP US.

THANKS.

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 5:58 am
After testing a lot i think problem can be linked with thime stretch....even in lowest mem use, but i'm used to have it turend on as it lets you mix songs with very different BPM, i don't like it off

Posted Thu 29 Dec 05 @ 1:55 pm
i deactivate slideshow and had no error for the last two live sessions even with thimestretch activated...i hope it mantains stable for the next sessions

Posted Tue 03 Jan 06 @ 10:52 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Yes as it was said in the bug reports topic, there is a memory leak with the slideshow and jpeg file: verified and confirmed by tests

So don't use the slideshow with jpeg file for the moment (v3.2)

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 3:21 pm
Great, bug corrected in 3.3version already available....i'll start using it live tonight. I'll report any new

Posted Wed 04 Jan 06 @ 4:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)