Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: questions..:)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i need help

i am planning to upgrade my computer to the amd 64..{ka-ching}

i am going in for the 3000+ model..

my problem is this....

i already have an athalon xp 2200+ which runs at 1.8ghz.. i also found out that the 3000+ amd 64 also runs only at 1.8ghz

is it worth it to upgrade... will there be any difference??

i will also have 1gb+ ram so i know that will help, but the question i need answering, is that will there be any real performance difference, not just VDJ wise but also generally..

i also plan to get an LCD screen.. the one i have my eye on has a response time of 16ms.. is this ok or not.. even from a gaming perspective?

i know this may not be the most appropriate forum to voice my questions but this is the only place i turn to for answers

cheers

DJ Rudra

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 8:47 pm
well i know that the 3000 will be noticably faster although the clock speed is the same, (which i think it should be 2.8ghz - 3.0gh) you will need to check that up ??

going off track here, its the cache in the processor that makes all the difference now days ! you will see a 3 digit number after the *.*ghz clock speed, that will give you the indication as to how quickly it can respond.

as for the 1 gig mem, you cant go wrong there . . . . bigger is better in this case.

weigh up your pro's and cons !!

eg: price of new pc - increasing your 2200 mem to a gig and secondly you can always go into a pc store and check for yourself !! play a little especially if you purchasing from that store!

best thing to open would be powerpoint or adobe, if its frightfully quick ......go for it! those two programs rely solely on the cpu for optimam performance!!

LCD screen ........ if you can get it ..... GET it ! no more straining eyes due to the flat screen and colour is amazing !!

hope that helps!?!

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 9:27 pm
most definitely spider.. although what about the response time??

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 10:27 pm
hmmm..

just been checking..

apparently the rs482 board does not allow for overclocking..

so i decided to go in for the k8n neo2 platinum...

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 10:48 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Rudra,

AMD64 is better because has another technology in it that make the processor goes faster than your previous one. I advice to go as far as your current motherboard can handle (and your pocket too).

Overclocking is not the best answer, when you overclock your computer your processor works at more high temperature which cause a short life time of your processor. Some graphic card can overclock, but in there you could get really more speed, but it's the same problem, lifetime is shorter than without overclocking.

I use a Viewsonic VX724 (3ms response) is the best for gaming and for movies or video. You could use a VX model to get the best response. http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx710/

Use the best memory speed your motherboard can use (DDR400) use the best processor you could get which works in your current motherboard and use a fast speed Harddisk. If your're going to mizx videos, then use the N-Vidia 6600GT and enjoy the upgrade!

Posted Tue 29 Nov 05 @ 1:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)