Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pentium M vs Pentium 4 comparison - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

COmparison was done using the song Ini Kamoze - Here comes the hotstepper played at -12% on the first deck. Disabled video, eq set to 0. The second deck was empty. I waited for the CPU usage to stabilize after switching the mastertempo.

desktop intel pentium 4 2,8GHZ 0.99GB ram

NOTHING PLAYING 0-3 %
DISABLED 4-5 %
ENABLED 7-8 %
HIGH QUALITY 7-8 %
CRAZY 7-8 %
INSANE 8-13%
SUPER INSANE 95%-100%

laptop intel pentium m (centrino) 2MB cache 1,5GHz 768MB ram

NOTHING PLAYING 0%
DISABLED 1%
ENABLED 1%
HIGH QUALITY 3-4%
CRAZY 18%
INSANE 55%
SUPER INSANE 78%

Decide by your own... could be interesting to test video ...

btw. when I disabled speedstep in bios on the notebook even the highquality timestretch had 90% usage. So you have to know how to setup the notebook. You cannot compare only by the clocking speed. and there are Pentium M in faster versions available now.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 10:09 am
The new master tempo is under development, and will be improved (CPU load and PC spec needs)...

Thats the reason why it was not even mentioned at the list of improvements for this version ;)

by the way, Here comes the hotstepper is a GREAT tune! ;)

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 12:27 pm
Rune, i know that, but this was meant as an example of processor performance not of the incompletness / beta stage of master tempo :-)

There was someone telling on forums when advicing notebooks that Centrino sux totally.
So in a case someone can probable perform video comparison that will make decisions easier
for newcomers what to buy/ or on what HW to run vdj ...

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 1:16 pm
mfshvaHome userMember since 2005
Centrinos (Pentium M´s) are the way to go on notebooks. When you look on special benchmarks sites you will see a 1,6Ghz (Dothan Centrino) performs in most applications as fast as a pentium 4 with around 2,2-2,4Ghz but the centrino runs much cooler and needs very low power.

Where is an option to switch mastertempo timestretch quality? The DJ Console version i have tested in dj shop has mastertempo when i looked and heared right but it´s really bad because it sounds very very digital-

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 4:30 pm
the new mastertempo (for testing) is available in version 3.2

The console version as of now, is at 3.1

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 4:32 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Hello my friend mfshva, its a small world -)

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 6:17 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Yes Lopez,

I'm telling and sostaine that Centrino isn't the way to go for VIDEO mixing. Centrino is a 3 tech in one name. Pentium M Processor, Wireless Card, and motherboard Chipset.

Pentium M has 2MB in cache and this makes that this chip performes more than a processor which has only 1MB. The Intel test under this conditions is that you may not notice the difference, but a Pentium 4 HT FSB 800 and with 2MB is more faster than ANY Pentium M and I can probe it.

Your current P4 2.8GHz is FSB 400 or 533 or 800??? has 512KB in cache or 1MB? is in an Intel motherboard or using an Intel chipset ? this chipset is D845, D865, D875, D915 or D925?

As you see to many thing chance this test. For Centrino the chipset is always D855 or D915 (in the new ones).

Centrino is made to MOBILITY, that meant to be wireless, with more battery power. For that more battery time, Pentium M has a slower clock and less consuming processor. Turion is the AMD equivalent.

Personally I don't care about the among of time Pentium M could give me, because if I use it for a DJing I will be plug to do it. Amps, mixers, and all we have works because of electric power, with out this power, who cares I can have my laptop on for 5 hours without electricity?

For you, you current Centrino laptop has better performance than you P4 2.8, but is because you don't have the right equivalent in P4 side to do this test.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 7:02 pm
Cpu Intel pentium 4 520 prescott
FSB 200MHZ
BUS speed: 800
1M cache
Mainboard siemens fujitsu D1837 with i915chipset
memory DDR2-SDRAM 2x512MB 200MHZ

what do you think is the cause ...

this is my pc @ work so info is provided by cpuZinfo....
but the FSB is strange ....

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 7:13 pm

With my P4 540 HT 3.2GHz FSB 800, 1MB Cache and 1.5GB RAM I have now open these programs:

Netscape (with 7 windows open), Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Notepad, 5 MSN Messenger windows open, WinAmp (listening the VirtualDJ Radio), 2 Docs in MS Word 2003, and VirtualDJ 3.2. In the background also is running my AntiVirus, ATI and Creative Audigy Monitors, Java Console and other minor programs...

Now I have from 1% to 4% of CPU usage.
When I load a song peaks to 50% and now with the song loaded is in from 0% to 6%.
When I start playing the song (in -8% pitch) and with Timestrech enable I'm in the same usage form 1 to 6%. Let do it with -34% pitch and guess what, it's the same 1% to 6% usage.

Now start with HQ in -34% pitch and now I'm in 18%-25%
Crazy: 27%-38%
Insane: 33% -48% but mainly in 38%
Superinsane: 48% - 58%

In all test I left open all my other programs.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 7:19 pm
lopez,

I think that your computer Hyperthreading isn't enable. The memory could be DDR2 at 533MHz to incrase performance and not at DDR2 400MHz (2x200).

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 7:28 pm
i'll have to hack bios somehow :-) it's password protected and tamper with the HT settings..

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 8:50 pm
lol even if it skips the usage stays about 50 percent now, on other setting it performs far better.

hehe strange why our siemens guys disabled the HT in the bios. Im even to sure whether this cpu has HT. but when i reset bios and set it up my way it performs better.

Posted Wed 23 Nov 05 @ 9:52 pm
;-)

Posted Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 1:52 am
This discussion is useless because for mobile dj´s the Pentium Mobile or the next coming CPU Yona is the only CPU you will find in notebooks from Spring 2006. (or you must choose AMD)

Intel is going to cancel P4 in the next few months and will go like Apple or better IBM build CPU´s with low Ghz and low power consumption but high performance.

The P4 is a mega power consuming monster and not more acceptable in notebooks. Between a 2GHZ Sonoma Centrino is knocking out a 3Ghz Pentium 4 or better it performs the same way.
The only thing you must do on Centrino´s is killing the speedstepping in BIOS or with Tools like Centrino Hardware Control.

And a French Overclocker Site has overclocked the 2Ghz Sonoma to around 2,4Ghz and it was faster than any other Intel CPU on the market in there Benchmarks

Posted Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 4:17 am
@apopsis
Hi i thinking about buying virtual dj because my Digiscratch2 is at this time not MidiController ready.
And i want a programm with Timecodevinyl and Controller control....
So i get a DJ Console Mp3 (version without Soundcard) on weekend and then i will think about ordering TCV´s and the Pro Version.

So my questions as you know the other programms ( :-)
is the Timecode Feeling or better Vinylfeeling of VDJ really good??????
I have made a small test in djshop with the console bundled version few days ago and was really impressed ( most from the traktor skins) but must say the Soundengine is lightyears behind Alcatech´s Digiscratch the mastertempo (timestreching) is nearly useless because so bad Digital and crackles...

Posted Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 6:54 am
@mfshva depends on bios, if is disabled speedstep I was only at 600MHZ don't know why.
A must choose MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. Just in case.

It's alway good idea to test any changes it can surely vary from pc to pc.

Posted Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 9:38 am

What a miss information you wrote mfshva.... MAC Announces that they are going to use now Intel Processors. They are not going to continue with IBM PowerPC processors anymore. MAC OS X is a UNIX based operation system that allow this change in platform, and was studied before by MAC because they want to use Intel tech in their next year MACs.

Pentium 4 has many versions. The first version and the today versions are very different. Today the P4 can go as far as 3.8GHz and FSB 1066, DDR2 667, HT, DualCore, Dualcore With HT, 1 or 2MB Cache...

Pentium M is now in 2.03 GHz FSB 533 and 2MB in Cache and DDR2 Memory. This processor is better than 1.6GHz FSB 400 and 2MB DDR Memory which are in the earlier Centrino Laptops.

This MOBIL technology is made for that. Less battery consumption, less heat dissipation (because has a slower clock too), small designs, less weight and other MOBIL benefits. If you are a Mobil user which have to be unplugged from the outlet much of the time. Centrino is the best for you.

If you want to get POWER Pentium4 or AMD64 (not mobile) are the options. So we can truly get the desktop power in a notebook case...

Pentium M notebooks a re good, but not as fast as a Pentium 4 (series 600, which has 2MB in cache also, and has a FSB 800MHz) based notebook.

Thats why Toshiba, HP and other laptop manufactures offer a Pentium 4 HT based notebook. This is made for Architectural design, music and video edition, and all that needs full processor power you can get in a laptop case.

Posted Fri 25 Nov 05 @ 8:55 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
@acw_dj, one of my two laptops is a P4 2.8 without HT, how is this compared (in speed) with Pentium M and Centrino Laptops ?
In comparison with my 2.6 Amd desktop, the Amd is about 10% faster (cpu meter in cubase)

@mfshva, sorry for the late answer..
Virtualdj sound is good, and there is a new timestreching algorithm in test from version 3.2
The previous Master tempo was bad to be honest, i never used it.
The vinyl feel is also good, there are less setup problems than the software you know, and there is a big advantage and a big disadvantage.
There is no Absolute and relative mode, but only one unique to virtual dj, Timecode mode..
This allow the use of loops and cues while needle drop is still working.
Perfect for normal mixing but has some problems with hard scraching and with cd players without vinyl mode, (like your cdj-500)
But again, this is something the vdj team will fix hopefully..., so don't hesitate to buy it.
For everything else you need, or for more informations just send me an e-mail.

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 3:13 am
Apopsis,

Centrino runs faster, as Lopez said at the begining. Look at the bios maybe you could turn on HT to have a better performance. The issue with a P4 without HT is that is a 533MHz or less FSB and have a small cache (512Kb or less). Centrino has 2MB in cache and great overall performance, but is not the best performance you could get an Centrino will cost you more than a Pentium 4 based laptop.

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 4:42 am
that will depend on the pentium 4, if its a decktop replacement with a northwood core perhaps u could but any opf the newer p4's will cost more in a note book not only that will have a shit bat life, will weight a tone and still get realy hot :(

mfshva Intel arre not changing the way the develop their cpu's to apple/IBM that would imply they are changing to a Power PC arc which they are not they are saying x86 ;)

Posted Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 7:24 am
91%