Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I'm live .....VDJ just stopped

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Have been playing for six hours, audio and video. While playing a video, VDJ just crashed. I ended up with the desktop on all the monitors in the club. At the moment, I don't even remember which video it was. Oh, now I remember. It was Don Omar, Raggaeton Latino(RMX) audio with Visuals running. It is not the file. Fortunatly, I was right here. Any Ideas what could have happened?

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 12:37 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I know this question is asked all the time.., but how much memory do you have?.., I say this because the only crashes I've observed are memory-shortage related.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 12:39 am
1 gig

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 7:03 am
1 gig should be plenty, i wonder if the video is corrupted.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 7:32 am
Do you mean the file? No, it played before, many times(It has been a hot trax), and I have played it since, with no problem.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 7:37 am
@ A Man & His Music, look @ the Windows Event log to see if anything got logged by the operating system in the Application or System category.

It could be that your memory chip(s) just simply failed momentarily... something that is possible I suppose with cheap memory. Are you using a laptop ? How long have you been using the memory in your machine ? If you upgraded recently ... even a month ago the chips could become unstable (component failure) or maybe not seated well in their slot. I don't feel real comfortable with new memory until I've been running it for some time.

You have to think about what was different about your session, or what you may have possibly changed recently.

Were you able to re-launch vDJ right away and finish the night without issue ?

Outside of these considerations, I suppose anything is possible and it's another reason that you have to be prepared with a temp backup.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 4:05 pm
Are you sure its not the file ? Don Omar, Raggaeton Latino(RMX) ... test again

The only times this has ever happened to me, its because of a corrupted file

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 4:54 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Was it that it crashed? (smiley face) or did the app close down? (disappear)

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 5:03 pm
Thanks for your replys gentlemen. This is not a laptop, and the machine is about 14 months old. I have not added anything lately. I don't remember what kind of ram I have, but I doubt if it is cheap, because I am not a cheap person. Then again, I may not know the difference. I still have the info, so I can check, but I think its Kingston, or something like that. It just disapeared, gone, all I had was a desktop. I was able to launch right away, but my DMC 1, did not respond until I rebooted the machine. What I did prior to the shutdown. Had a video looping, turn on master tempo, gradually reduced bpm's from 130 to 96, mixed in Don Omar, let video run for awhile without audio, switched over to video plug in(52 slideshow). Now I can't remember if I stopped the video or not. However, I have done that plenty of times(left a loop running), before with no problems. I have to admit, I do not use the M/T, that often. Sometimes I have to do a double in this club, and run this machine 15 hours, with no problems.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 6:39 pm
you think temp could of been an issue? Do you cool your laptop?

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 10:42 pm
You missed the last post. This is NOT a laptop, and if I can run it 15 hours, I don't think heat would be a factor.

Posted Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 11:00 pm
acw_dj,
there is a shortcut that will save your new que points and analyse information to disk. Will this solve the issue, or is it just save the information and keep this information also in memory?

What I had once was that I recursed my complete external drive (250G) selected all files and clicked analyse. After a while vdj crashed. Then I did it for 50-100 files when those files were analysed i closed and restarted VDJ and did the following batch. This seems the same problem.
Will it help to analyse your songs on forehand?

Ewout

Posted Fri 18 Nov 05 @ 12:55 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
>A Man and His Music <
"switched over to video plug in(52 slideshow)"
I will tell you one of my biggest problems is the memory leaks the plugs tend to create.
It's not all the time, and I have identified a few that gave me problems. Just an idea.

cstoll

Posted Fri 18 Nov 05 @ 1:31 pm
acw_dj, I have not been here as long as you, so I do not claim to know anything. But I use VDJ 8 hours a day 5 days a week. As stated before, sometimes 15 hours, straight, and have never had this problem. So if it is what you say, why has this problem not shown up before? Also, if this is the case, is this a bug? Does the Dev Team know about it? Now as for the video plugins, I have noticed a freeze in the software, when it changes from one of the visuals. I think it is the last one, but will check. The screen freezes for a moment, but there is no interruption in the performance.Thank you gentlemen for your trouble shooting.

Posted Fri 18 Nov 05 @ 7:11 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
@superstom:

What is the shortcut to which you refer? I had requested that as a new feature over a month ago, not knowing there was already a shortcut, but never got a response.

Posted Mon 21 Nov 05 @ 7:07 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
A Man and His Music,

I know it isn't the right thing to do, but it works for me. Maybe in this new version we don't have this problems again. We must check.

Good Luck!

Posted Mon 21 Nov 05 @ 9:27 pm
@frd1963,
you could create a shortcut:
-> Config menu -> Keybord shortcut -> Add
Select in the list "All" to display all Keys. The Key is named "SaveDatabase".
use whatever shortcut key you like
Ewout

Posted Mon 21 Nov 05 @ 11:05 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)