Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Playlists - Problem with track listing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can someone advise in what order tracks are listed in Playlists ???

My finding is that tracks are not listed in the same order in which they are saved into the .m3u file. I've raised this issue with support for version 1.08 and was told to click the top left column header if the order became different than the original, but I would certainly expect the order to be as it is in the .m3u file when I first open the Playlist from the new Browse function in the "tree" window in 1.09. This makes no sense. Anyone ??

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 7:07 pm
Here is the previous dialog I had with support on this topic:

------------------------------------
Customer: digijoc-Mele
Here are a few problems I've seen since installing 1.08.

==
I can't figure out how the Playlist is sorted in the new
Browse View. The sort does not match the track positions in the M3U file.

Teamer: DJ Rick
1) it's an m3u file. I don't know if it can be sorted. Once it's expanded, you can manipulate the files as needed.

1) Rick I know it's a .m3u file, I don't have a need to resort it, just for the tracks to appear in the order they are saved in the .m3u file.

In some past experience even with other programs, I don't remember m3u files opening in the order they were saved in.

Thanks for answering. However you can't be serious about the m3u file. The m3u file is a flat text file. If I open the file in Notepad it is as I have saved it. If I open it with WinAmp it is as I have saved it. When vDJ opens the file it is as it is saved. When vDJ 1.08 opens it via the new Playlist Browse function, it is NOT as it is saved

First: When browse to the playlist, it is in fact displayed in the same order as it was saved. 2nd, if I sort the files by artist, or title, or bpm, I can put them back in the original order by clicking the small button at the left of the artist collumn.

1) I tested this on a new desktop PC. While initially the Browse Playlist Sort appeared to match the .m3u file, after playing around for a little they appeared out of sequence again. I have a screen shot.

1, when it goes out of sequence, click on the left most collumn header. This should re-sort them to the order they were saved.

By the way, the button (column header) to the left of the Arthor column does not put things in the order they were saved in the .m3u file for me.

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 7:56 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No it doesn't. It puts them in the order which they were last played. The most recent files towards the top.
I believe I explained that to you in a later discussion.
and of the thousands of users, you seem to be the only one who has a problem with the way this works.
when the above dialog ensued, this was still a very new feature, and I was still learning it's potential.
The play lists are displayed just like any of your other directories, and can be sorted by any of the column headers, bpm, time, artist, title, path... etc.

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 8:38 pm
ok, Rick I don't remember if you explained that it is in the order of last played at the top, but I accept your explaination. Why is the initial display of tracks not the same when you double click a playlist to open it into the window with the Load/Save/Shuffle controls ?

You may be right, I may be the only person who seems to have issues with this functionality, guess that either makes me unique, or a pain in the butt [:o)

By the way, sorting by clicking the various column headers was not the issue.

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 9:42 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hello
I read all that carefully. I understand your point, Digijoc-Mele.

Maybe it could be a part of the aswer:

When you put your playlist in the playlist area, the tracks come in order of the playlist for the automix use.

When you put your playlist in the directory-tree, you can't automix them automaticaly, so man could ask : where is the need to sort them in the order of the m3u file.

But you seem to need this sorted, so you should ask the team to make the lefty column header a m3u sorting, when a playlist is loaded in the directory-tree.

Hope that was clear :s

FRUiT94

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 10:07 pm
Thanks for trying to clarify Fruit. I see what the problem is. It is simply a difference in philosophy of what a Playlist is. The only comparison I can think of now is maybe to say that there is a difference between the definition of a "Record Case" and a "Automatic Playlist"

That is why I tried to ask in another topic how people are using the Playlist. I guess I was trying to make the Playlist something it was not designed to be.

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 11:47 pm
Hi all,
Can't say I've noticed the problem cos I rarely have time to play anymore yet.....Digijoc, I'm with you on this. I have previously looked through mp3's and made a playlist, in an appropriate order with regard to flow and then used this playlist again and again - wanting the same order, the order I specifically placed them in on the first place.

glitches in da matrix

Later,
Liam

Posted Fri 09 Apr 04 @ 11:13 pm
Thank you Liamalone. You use a word the word "flow" that may help others understand. Just becuase you have arrangements of tracks in a list, doesn't mean that you will play them one after the other every time.

Any DJ who knows about flow will play sets based on "Tempo", usually low to high then breakdown to low and build up again. So here is where the Playlist, which I've learned to better refer to as a "Record Case", helps you to arrange your flow.

For a DJ who spins mainly "dance"/ "Techno" genre, it may not be as important because that genre is easily BPM tagged by vDJ and you are pretty safe to mix tracks from all around because so much of the genre is up tempo. But when you spin other genres that don't have the luxery of easy and accurate BPM tagging, the arrangement of your Record Case can be important.

Anyway, I didn't think I was the only one who could see the usefullness of this so I have simply made a request in the new features forum for a "Record Case". I realize that I am trying to use the Playlist as a Record Case.

cheers [:o)

Posted Sat 10 Apr 04 @ 1:47 am
Hi all,
Just finished work, Sat night, working tomorrow so a quiet night for Me. Anyway, a mate wants a cd done...... so a couple of weeks ago I chose tracks He'd like and arranged them in the order the cd would play. Now, on My quiet yet quiet noisy Sat night in, I decided to make this cd ...... and have now encountered this problem, the playlist is all muddled up and I can't remember the flow - major flaw in My stoner book!!!

lucky good old Atomix remembers the flow for me!!

Anyway, first impressions on v1.09 are good :) seems to mix that bit finer than v1.08 or I am just stoned :) search facility SEEMs good.......keep up the good work folks

Happy Easter if it's Your thing :)

Later,
Liam

p.s and did I say :)

Posted Sat 10 Apr 04 @ 7:20 pm
Finally, someone on the Internal Dev Team understands what was being said and has supplied a simple solution. It's a simple registry hack... read it here -> http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=4241

vDJ is beautiful, now that's what I call flexibility !!! .... how's that for positive djRick ?

Posted Sat 17 Apr 04 @ 4:25 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
All I did was try to help, and explain as I understood it to work. I also highlighted your inquiries to try to get help from the rest of the team.
(perhaps that is what got dev staffs attention) I used the knoweledge that I had available to me to best explain how it worked. Please stop making posts that seem to attack me personally.
It's easier to get help from volunteer team members when you don't make your messages seem like a demand, or a personal attack.

Again, ALL I DID was try to help.

Posted Sat 17 Apr 04 @ 6:11 am
Rick, thanks for all your help. You are a little thin-skinned my friend, don't be so sensitive. If I was sensitive, I could take issue with some of the things you said... I'm sure audio000 could chime in on that. The remark in the previous post was in response to a previous inference you made about not enough positive feedback.

Loosen up, relax. No one is trying to attack you. This is a forum, I love to have constructive conversation, but it can only be constructive if you make your points and explain them. Also, I have no problem admiting when I am wrong, I have been many times. Peace[:o/

Posted Sat 17 Apr 04 @ 5:37 pm
DJ Rick

I am cool with all but I don't know how to feel after my post was delete. I don't think that you all care for me to much.

Play for the love of music (DJ Audio)

Posted Sat 17 Apr 04 @ 7:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)