Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: New speakers Are out of phase, what do I do?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi there guys,
My new speakers have finally arrived and there massive, there accoustics(225watts), just for home use!,

They sound great, but..., my left speaker isn't any where near as "bassy" as the right, the sound sounds thin like when u use the cut fx and generally lower in volume, instead of it sounding rich and thudy there unrich and the bass is short.

It's not the positioning and it's not the fact that the sound is stereo and differs, it's definentely the between the speakers and the amp.

I read my manual and it says that when this happens it means that they are "out of phase", but it was unclear on how to put it right,

I know some of you guys really know your stuff and are generally of great help, thanks for you response.

Posted Tue 06 Apr 04 @ 7:18 pm
this may sound stupid, but you could try to change + and - wires on your left speaker.

Also make sure your wires do not 'short'.

another thing you could try:
change your left speaker-cable with your right speaker-cable and see if you hear any difference. If the problem moved from your left speaker to your right speaker-> then your speakers are just fine, concluding that it must be a faulty cable or a faulty amplifier. If the problem remains the same after changing cables, then your left speaker could be broken.

hope this will solve your prob :]

Posted Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 6:30 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Absolutely should solve the problem ! Point 1 is the answer.

Posted Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 8:41 am
Hi again,

thanks guys, I used your advice and....., well I wired my left speaker into the right port on my amp and my right speaker into my left port, and guess what?, I have the same problem now with my right speaker, I also ammended a few faults with the way I wired them, they now sound better but still the right speaker is quieter, but only slightly, when I play a song very quietly my left speaker is hearable whereas the right speaker is too weak, but when I crank it up there's little difference, but still when I pay out for a new set up I expect everything to work perfectly, but your right it's now obviously the amp, but with this could it damage my speakers?,

thanks again,

Posted Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 11:33 am
Then it's clear that your speakers are just fine indeed.
I would replace the speaker-cable of the channel that has the fault for a new one. If you still have the fault after replacing that cable, it could be your amplifier, but.... it could also be possible that your line-in cable (from your mixer/console to your amp) is faulty. Try changing left and right on your line-in cable, if the fault moves from the left channel to the right channel.. then it's your line-in cable for sure. Otherwise, the fault is in your amplifier (ouch :-s)

A faulty amp COULD damage your speakers, if that's the case.. i would have it repaired by a technician a.s.a.p.

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 5:43 am
Thanks for your input cannonball, I appreciate that,

I think the problem is now either very minor or just inside my head because the changes that I told you I made have improved it or solved it, but I will know by the time...

I noticed you mentioned mixers, well at the moment I don't have one but I would be willing to spend up to 300 quid on one providing it makes using vdj more practical and performs with the software like I would expect, I'm aiming to start playing in bars/ clubs within the next few months, So would you reccomend I get a mixer?, what's the plus side of it?

And more importantely does it make VDJ feel, sound, work much better?. I can't imagine how it would be.

Posted Thu 08 Apr 04 @ 3:47 pm
Any mixer with 2 or more sliders will do ;)

i would prefer a mixer with knobs for gainlevel,bass,mid,treble per channel.
I got a NUMARK DM 2000 X Mastermix pro. fairy cheap, small and enough sliders and buttons to do your liveset.

Posted Sun 11 Apr 04 @ 9:12 am
jackcuHome userMember since 2004
I use a Numark CM200 - 5 channels and within your budget. Really nice sound and feel when using it at gigs.

Cheers,

Jack.

Posted Tue 13 Apr 04 @ 9:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)