Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: First Night Out w/ VDJ ... Comments & Questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

John CPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Smooth as silk!

I spent 3 weeks with the demo and 2 weeks prepping, studying and practicing.

After getting over a few "first time" user glitches and learning how to tweak out the laptop to optimize it for strictly DJing I had a great night using Virtual DJ Live.

A few times I attempted to mix and didn't understand why the second deck started but the crossfader didn't slide over... probably more in my execution between auto mix and manual mix. (more practice)

I just searched the forums about my displeasure with a 24 hour military clock. WHY? WHY? WHY? can't this be standard 12 hour clock??? And it'd be nice if it was a bit larger in most skins there's room but it looks like 4 font.

Also another issue is... if I change my mind about a song already loaded to a deck when I replace it, the song I wanted to play later on is gone and I have to search it again and move it to the play list a second time. I wish I could simply move it out of the deck and back to the playlist, then move the replacement tune to the deck.

That's it, the couple of situations I stumbled through.

BTW:

The full fledge rack mounted 3 gig processor and all the other components should be arriving this coming week for my fully dedicated video machine, complete with 17" monitor, nice rack swivel monitor mount, Gyration wireless keyboard / gyro mouse. I have several components from other current systems that will be incorporated into the racked up system.

It's been a long wait and lot of planning but I'm going to be in full operation so soon I can't stop feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas...LOL

Many thanks to all those who have helped me ... Jason, Jef, Rick and a few others that have stepped up and gave advice.

Posted Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 5:20 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
John,

I had the same request to be able to drag a song from a deck back into the playlist. I was advised of a 'good enough' workaraound and have been using that ever since: click the 'recyle' symbol in the playlist and everything you play will be added to the bottom of the playlist. You can periodically hit the 'shiny record' symbol to clear out everything that was already played. A related complaint i had was that songs that I didn't actually play (only loaded up and listened to) show up with a red 'X' indicating that they were already played, and so they also get cleared from the list as mentioned.

Glad to hear you had a good night though. I can almost guarantee that once you get used to VDJ, you will like it much better than whetever you were using before.

-Frd

Posted Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 7:45 pm
djdawgHome userMember since 2005
John...would love to know your specs on your laptop and exactly what you did to optimize it for vdj. I am batting around the idea of using a laptop. I will not be doing video or karaoke with this system...audio only.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 2:06 am
John CPRO InfinityMember since 2005
My current laptop is an old IBM 850 mhz pt 3, w98se . I upped the ram to 384 mg (when I first bought the unit 5 years ago). I ordered it as a "media machine" which upgraded the audio and video software and internal system components from the factory. It has a whole whopping 16mg for video (lol).

You need to be certain you have updated to Direct X 9(c). Download is available through MS.

You need to take out any software that will no longer be used for it's "dedicated purpose". If possible a clean O/S reload (preferably OEM) and only install needed components. Keep in mind you may still need internet access software to update drivers and to install any upgrades, skins or plug ins.

The most troubling issue was the infrared detector that automatically triggers ever few seconds looking for an IR signal. It caused a stutter every so many seconds. This is an old method of transferring (very slow) using direct line of site infrared compatible gear. Often PDA's and camera's used this. You need to go to the "Device Manager" and turn it off. A few years back Jason helped me with this "fix".

Again using your device manager other items that interfere are seemingly installed all in 1 IRQ on laptops. Consider the IRQ is a pathway to the motherboard and you have 5 items all operating on this one pathway. You must consider turning off other items. The Modem is one of the items that when not in use must be turned off to help stabilize the operation of your video and audio which (typically) also utilize the same IRQ (in my unit).

Take a good look at the start up menu too. It's amazing how many items turn on when you boot up and they are operating in the background. This is a good thing to look at on any computer. Seems most all manufacturer's expect their software to be operating full time (or immediately available) and this robs you of full performance.

This system works well for audio only.

I spent days reviewing this forum and assembled a long list of "tips" that I systematically reviewed and applied in a step by step fashion to "tweak" my system. Different O/Ss have different issues.

I am "on the edge of my seat" waiting to load up video and take a full computerized dedicated video system out on the road.

My consideration is going full video, all the time!

One last thought that just came to mind was the tweaking of the software. One key issue was the read ahead time. I set it to 10 minutes with very smooth stability. There are a few other software tweaks that can be addressed once you install and operate it, to work smooth for your system and style of use.

Posted Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 3:10 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)