Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: To CD or not to CD that is the question!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'm looking at CD players and I have to say they look very tempting, but I can't be sure whether to buy some or not, the problem with CD's and a mixer alone is that they don't offer the features and abilitiy of VDJ, but the time coded CD option only has limited functions enabled..

So I feel I would have 2 options, play CD's., or play Time coded CD's, and both would be less than perfect IMO, at least considering how great VDJ is.

Another problem I find is the need for a maya or compaitable soundcard, this adds to the cost, as if CD players aren't expensive enough!, then I would need another 512mb of RAM (adds £40 to the basket).

I figure It's gonna cost the best part of a grand (£1000) to get hooked up with a Timecoded CD set-up, that's not cheap.

The temptation is mostly due to pride, they look great, feel great, It gives you a more proffesional image.

Would they really improve your performance?, for me I think not, I know I would be able to scratch better with them, and would enjoy useing them more than a Hercules, that's without a doubt, but making them tight, spot on and well executed mixes.., I think not, I feel I'm their with my current set-up.

Another thing playing on my mind is gigs, taking your own CD players, Laptop, Soundcard, back-up CD's, cables etc.., seems like a hassle, yea you could use the clubs CD players, but their are CD players and CD players.., their not all the same!, they take time to get used too.

It's a tough one, I somehow can't justify the practical use and cost to myself

For lack of an ideal Controller (for me) I'm looking here, but I see no Ideal solution for a laptop DJ wanting ultimate control over the software, as well as practical efficency, for mobile DJ's no problem, but for club/pub DJ's I see no supreme option at current.

Posted Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 11:12 pm
I did a bunch of gigs with just my xp10s and laptop before I had the DZ1200s. I do not plan on going back to DJing without the TCCD. I've become much more creative in my mixes now since I have the digital turntables. If you can afford it, I would defintely recommend it. It's sad but true, spinning shiny platters gives a more professional image. Why this is, I have no idea. Yes, I do hate lugging around all this gear to hook up every night, but it is defintely worth it.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 12:07 am
Does anyone have any news on "soon to be released CD players?".

I know the Dennon 3500 is now avaliable, and that looks nice, I want to get what I consider the best CD player but probably wont order any for a few months, so I hope a few wonder products are released between now and then :).

Posted Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 6:36 pm
Bagpuss,
I don't think it is that easy. There is no "Best CD Player". There is a "Best CD Player" for you, but mine could be different.
To be some more specific. There are a lot factors that could be important for you. Size, options, type of deck.
I will give you an example: Some users only like 12 Inch platters, the only player you could get is the Numark cdx. I like a small, light deck, so the cdx is not the player for me. Do you need a spinning platter or not?

So you have to get a list on the items or options that you need most. Then collect the information on all players and then decide what player is best for you.
Ewout

Posted Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 10:11 pm
That's true, with CD players it is mostely the case that you get what you pay for..., but their is an industry standard (CDJ1000), and their are peoples common favourites (Dennon, Technics), but some CD players bearly get mentioned like the Stantons, the Vestax, and the Geminis.., and some models are expensive and feature packed, so I wonder If some of these players are believed to be bad, I think it's more likely that they somehow haven't gained a place on the market, because their are many models and very hot competition.

Their is then the various price ranges, I see many players that really look nice, but I often fail to see what they offer that's so great, many don't offer anything more than basic functions, and very few match up to VDJ's functionality if not, I appreciate that this is hardware, and good, solid hardware at that, I do feel many models are overpriced, but then pro CD players are quite new.

Posted Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 10:40 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I like denon and pioneer... The DN-3500 looks good and the CDJ-1000 too... What's your top budget for these?

Posted Tue 18 Oct 05 @ 7:18 am
I wont pay cash (but finance), So their isn't really a top, If the best gear helps me do my job better and looks better on a business card, then surely that will be the best bargain.

Posted Tue 18 Oct 05 @ 12:59 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)