Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: About to format the laptop - will the tracks still be analysed.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi Guys -

Quick question.

I've just spent (or rather my PC has) about 60 hours analyzing all my tracks, cdg's and mpeg videos on VDJ. They are all on an external HDD. I need to format and reinstall everything on the laptop including VDJ. When I plug plug the external HDD will all the tracks still be analyzed? does the analysis info reside in the actual track or in the xml database? In which case which files to i need to keep 'database.xml' etc ? Does it matter if i end up with a different drive letter for the external drive ?

Many Thanks.

Posted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 4:54 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The easiest way is to move the "Virtual DJ" folder and all it's contents onto the external drive, once windows is reinstalled you can just move the folder back to it's original location, all will work fine :).

And yes It's the XML file that holds that info.

Posted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 6:29 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'd suggest:
1) backup the database xml file contained in the VDJ folder, and backup the VDJ installation executable that you originally downloaded from here (along with the various upgrades). make sure you have your serial number handy too.
2) format your PC and reinstall windows
3) Install VDJ and its upgrades, enter your serial nbr
4) copy the database xml file back into the VDJ folder (overwrite the new empty one)

as a general rule, it's a good idea to backup your database xml file regularly...

Nicolas

Posted Wed 12 Oct 05 @ 7:34 pm
Cool thanks alot guys.

Posted Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 12:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)