Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A Video of me clownin around with my DZ1200

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

http://www.royalnetworks.com/blend-clownin.html

It's in mpeg4, so if you don't have a codec, get one. Divx.com is a good free one. This wasn't made to show how well I can't scratch, I already know I can't scratch, that's why I practice. So this is a practice session. I was just messing around doing some blends and so I blended George Michael - Father Figure with a 16 beat loop of 50 Cent - Just A Lil Bit, and a fair amount of scratch mixing to go along with it. It's 31MB.

Check it out if you're bored this weekend. It shows the DZ1200 in action with some timecoded cds.

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 3:04 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Just watched the video :), really good stuff, man those players look nice.., great to see it all working together, I just wish you were mixing house, found that riff a bit repetitive, LOL.

Nice one! :).

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 3:52 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
yeah pretty smooth on the practice, and yes the 50 loop was a bit much but overall it was held together well. if i have anything negative and its my biggest problem is concentrate on dropping the scratch on beat, it can be rather hard sometimes if you get too busy on the scratch but what i am doing right now is making myself use the eyes and ears. my VDJ monitor is almost behind me so i only use it very little, so my ears are doing the work of the eyes, the only vision i am using is the VDJ labels on the TCV, after i drop it in, i then look to the monitor fir a small fine tune if needed, hopefully not. ;) anyways bro nice mix!

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 4:02 am
Nice job, I was feeling it

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 2:10 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Nice job Anewsome, great looking setup also.

I have saved this, do you mind if I show some of the guys at the computer dj summit?

Rick

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 2:33 pm
Hey Rick, you can do whatever you want with it but just don't represent it as a serious piece of work. I really was just messing around. Usually when I do blends like that I use an accapella on one side and a full instrumental on the other side so it doesn't get repetitive and sounds more musical. I usually use two songs that fit together more nicely as well. Maybe I'll make a video of the John Legend blend that I've dropped live a few times.

Also Rick, it's of pretty poor quality and using the live mic for sound. If you want a better quality video (640x480), let me know. I also usually use line in sound which sounds much nicer.

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 4:45 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
If you are going to do it, do it quick.....
Gonna be there in 24 hours.

The layout and simple moves demonstrating the scratching, corrections and basic operation of TCCD is what I liked.

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 4:54 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Cool, no crash ;)

True, songs don't blend that well, but as you said, just foolin' around. You could use this as a loop though, recorded on a fly, and then using TT's only for scrathcing, this way you could add another beat over or a capella.

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 5:21 pm
Nice man, how about a scratch demo of the XP10's

Posted Mon 03 Oct 05 @ 5:31 pm
That's a nice thought. I'd love to scratch with the xp10, and I can get down a little bit on them but I find it nearly impossible to scratch and release on beat with the touch sensitive platters. This is the ONLY reason I even purchased the DZ1200s. If the xp10 platers were a.) bigger and b.) motorized,.. I would not even consider the DZ1200. I would have just stuck with the xp10.

Before I had the DZ1200, I would scratch at gigs a little bit with the xp10 and I can honestly say my scratches were less than impressive. But there are guys on the forum here who say they can scratch just fine with the xp10. There are even some guys who say you scratch fine with the Hercules or even guys that can get down scratching with the mouse. I haven't seen any of those videos though.

Posted Mon 03 Oct 05 @ 9:05 pm
the big disadvantage of an xp10 is there is no moving cue point like a marking on a vinyl, you then have to depend only on the monitor for cue.

Posted Mon 03 Oct 05 @ 9:26 pm
Exactly, given the choice to look at the mark on the DZ1200 table or the waveform on VDJ, I think I am more accurate with the mark on the platter. xp10 has no such thing. Matter of fact, I think my scratching is more on beat when I DON'T look at the waveform at all. Beatchmatching is another thing, I like the waveform for beatmatching precisely, just throws me off when I am scratching,.. better to listen and feel.

Posted Mon 03 Oct 05 @ 9:45 pm
i scratch quite well with my mouse and its not even optical, got the beatmixing down too. but the key is practice practice practice.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 6:14 am
@anewsome
thats why if i drop vinyl altogether i would get cd decks that have a good cue display, just not sure how much i trust a digital display. I really don't like to use the monitor too much as i have it almost behind me, I glance at it just to see if i snyc perfect or not but thats it. Yes you can scratch cue by ear if you have the sound you want to cut with(ex. kick drum,snare) if i look at the monitor i find myself wanting to drop it on the wave spike which doesn't seem to work out as the wave scrolls too fast(default) for reaction time IMO. You can zoom out and slow it but i have never tried that, my ears and visual cue on the vinyl are working great. If i had a choice of cd player i probably make the same one you did being a vinyl man and i fear change, i like the platters on those, the other choice would be the sick pioneers but i have not tried those.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 2:28 pm
I don't use the cue display for visual. I use the little line engraved in the platter mat. This helps me keep my spot so well I don't even need headphones once I have my spot cued up.

I'd like to see a video of the scratching and beatmatching with the mouse. I've always been curious how they can do good scratching with the mouse.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 5:53 pm
no i was saying if the platter didn't spin then i would like a cd player with a nice display, not VDj's. Yes that why you more on point with cues because of the markings. i can scratch ok with a mouse but it's little sloppy and very hard to back cue, it you holding the point its ok but to scratch, let it play, and back cue to the very same point is too hard. I think because the actual control feels like too much latency, not in the movement of scratch but the button clicking to stop the music from moving.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 8:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)