Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: CompTIA / A+ Certification

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
I am currently studying to obtain CompTIA / A+ Certification. Is anyone else studying or already have the certificate? If so please point me in the right direction. I have found exams, cram sheets and much more but maybe there is more to find...

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 8:28 pm
I was A+ certified back in like 1992, but I have no idea what the test is like these days. It was pretty easy though, if I remember correctly.

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 8:39 pm
Ya I think you would have probably been mostly tested on Windows NT?? You will need to upgrade your knowledge to still have the certification.. Some info I found out when doing the research. Also Microsoft doesnt do the A+ anymore. Thanks for the reply. So far it seems pretty easy. Basic knowledge ;)

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 8:52 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Sorry, guys could you explain to me what is the CompTIA / A+ Certification?, thanks in advance.

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 9:00 pm
hello not trying to be negative but Ive heard that the A+ is really not holding its weight alone anymore. I was told the the market is pretty flooded with those that are certified so its really getting competive now you might still need a degree or something else to fall back on. Have you looked into the cisco certs Im hearing they are still a good investment

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 9:17 pm
just wanted to add A+ is not a bad thing to have though just look at it as another notch on the belt

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 9:22 pm
Ya I actually just need the certificate to advance to a better postion at a job already obtained. I have heard the same about the A+ certification but unfortunately its required to be an IT at this place. I have done a few practice exams without studying and to be honest its pretty simple stuff. Anyone heard on the weight of the MCSE certificate.

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 10:48 pm
ok, I kown what is a MCSE but what is CompTIA / A+ Certification... I'm an IT Pro, but don't remember that Certification...

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 2:56 am
wyworgPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Homeboy donĀ“t lose your time with the forum!!! you must study!! study, study, study... good luck my friend ;)

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 11:02 am
Thanks my friend. Thats what I have been doing. Just wanted to come to the greatest community on the net for a little advice and insight.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 3:35 pm
A+ certification is mostly basic computer profession knowledge. It's not supposed to be vendor-centric and it certainly has nothing to do with Microsoft. It's original intent was to form a general computing knowledge baseline that employers could use to screen out applicants. When I was a technical services manager at CompUSA back in the early 90s (back when we built our computers on-site!), we would require at a minimum A+ certification. Typically technicians working at CompUSA would have many certifications including hp printer repair (we repaired these on site too), Apple macintosh certification, Compaq server certification, MCSE, etc. That is until guys with the certs realized they could make a helluva lot more money outside CompUSA with all those certs.

I believe I was making $10 an hour when I got my A+ cert. My first job outside CompUSA, I was making about $50k a year, and that was in 1995 or so.

Think of A+ as just a basic requirement. It by no means qualifies you for any advanced knowledge status on a particular product. For that I would look to MCSE, Cisco, etc or EXPERIENCE. I've worked in technology for well over 15 years and I always hire experience over certifications. I've learned that guys that know their stuff through experience always out-perform and out-think the guy with a stack of certs and no experience. This is where the whole "paper mcse" thoughts came from,.. guys who held the paper but not the knowledge to do anything useful. Anyway, just some of my thoughts.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 5:09 pm
THANKS Anewsome, it's clear to me now. I have the same opinion on people with Certs without knowledge.

Homeboy, I think you could past this without to much trouble! study to feel secure and Good Luck!

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 7:22 pm
Thanks guys I have just be hired today on the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I have 30 days to get my certification ;) So far so good.

Posted Sat 01 Oct 05 @ 5:23 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)