Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: WebCast to Cellphones

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Anybody know about any methods to webcast to cell phones.. (free) ?

I see a great opportunity to build a personal audience by being able to broadcast your mixes (vDJ Radio) to your friends Cell Phones !

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 11:52 pm
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
The only thing i have tried is to webcast through those pcmcia 3g cards using the cell network but not directly to phones...theoretically speaking it should be easy since that with my device(se p910i) through gprs enabled option, i can hear radio station using java aplets easy and continiously(no breaks). similarly if you use the modem part of your cell phone with a good encoding (eg 32kbps aac plus) and the shoutcast servers of winamp you could make the job...i apologise for my poor English.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 12:40 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
wouldn't that eat up your cell phone mins.?

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 12:52 am
My cellphone (Treo650 on Cingular in California, US) has unlimited GPRS data plan. I suspect many phones are this way. Using pocket tunes on my phone I can tune into any ogg/mp3 music stream, so webcasting to cellphones doesn't sound like it's much different than webcasting to a computer. Only thing is, the phone needs to have a music player.

If you're talking about a webcast where people can call a number and listen to your mix with the headset, yes that would eat up your minutes on your cell plan. I don't think that kind of webcast would be very usefull, except plans that have froo nights and weekends :-)

But seriously,.. do you think there is a big demand to hear mixes on a cell phone handset? If you're using the voice network to transmit the mixes, they would sound horrible since the voice network has such a narrow frequency range. You could get CD quality mixes over the data network, but not all phones are going to be capable of playing music.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 1:55 am

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 6:24 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I'm interested. Do you know the laws for the webcast as there is a download?

Posted Sat 01 Oct 05 @ 11:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)