Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Advanced Default (by djjb) - pls add "Actual Sound Level of Vertical Fader"

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Actual Sound Level indicator according to Vertical Fader

I am a very happy user of the "Advanced Default" (with turntable).

Would be more happy if there is a sound level indicator which shows the actual sound level of output from the vertical fader. That is, when the vertical fader is 0, there is no sound output level on the indicator. As the fader move higher the sound level indicator increase level respectively.

Useful with crossfader mixing : e.g. When crossfader is on Channel A, I can set channel B about same sound level to Channel A 's song visually (I use headphone monitor to guess the sound volume which is not precise). Especially useful if applying "fade chop" technique.

Useful with vertical fader mixing : there are times I do not need crossfader to mix and set crossfader to middle position and use both vertical fader to mix. During this situation, I also can visually see both sound level of the channels to get perfect control on the mix.

There is already a master output level indicator, may be can alter it's behaviour to implement this function.

Thanks for the useful skin.

Sincerely,

Ricardo Prado (dj Artimix)

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 6:51 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hello rprado.
I will make this for you.
I'm thinking of doing this with a little pannel so you can choose.
I will upload it this morning.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 7:34 am
Yes, that is the main skin that I use, and I also noticed that. It would be very helpful, thanks John.
Geez . . . you're like a skin guru. Awesome work, and very quick!

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 8:05 am
don it..

i'm thinkin of inserting the video things in it.
or maybe a 2 skin zip. a 2.++ version and a 3.1 version.

what do you think?

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 8:39 am
HaywardPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Great addition Jon, the video would alsobe a nice additiona and I agree that you do excellent work.
Any chance that you can make the changes to the Mix Station skin and the Default skin I rquested about a week ago?

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 6:53 pm
I checked out your newest version of the advanced default skin, but I'm not sure it's quite what rprado
had in mind. Before, the indicator showed the volume from each deck, regardless of the crossfader position (which meant that even if there wasn't any sound coming from that deck, it showed sound.) Now there is an option to make the volume indicators just reflect the position of the crossfader. Could you possibly encorporate both of these together? As in, it shows the volume level that is actually played.
If I am being completely confusing here (which is definately possible) I can try to explain it again.

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 8:09 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
how about making the beatlock button the same, the default you right click to lock it, left you just match it, on this one it backwards

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 5:03 am
TALKING ABOUT CONFUSED?!@#$%
don't know anymore...about the viuals. i have made 2 pannels for it. that's all there is.
(or i'm missing something)

about the beatlock. didn't know that.. i will change it, because i don't wanna f*up your mix.

thanx for all your great opinions..

i'm thinkin of making a handsfree skin..special for ext control users.
any suggestions about the collors..now it has a very peacefull lightgreen collor

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 9:12 am
Sorry about the confusion. Ok.... let me try one more time and then we dump me on the side of road as a lost cause...

visual pannel 1: Shows crossfader value
visual pannel 2: Shows volume level

What I am asking about is a cross between the two. For example, if the crossfader value is half, then it shows half of the volume level so you can see what is actually played. Basically (as far as I know) you would just show the volume level as a percentage of the crossfader value.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 1:44 am
it's directly not possible I think, maybe there's a trick how to perform it with existing skin engine anyway.

Posted Wed 28 Sep 05 @ 5:54 pm
in the next update i've changed the beatlock-function.
already uploaded it.

Posted Thu 29 Sep 05 @ 6:43 am
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Dear djjb,

Thanks for your effort. Sorry that may be I have confused you a bit.

Let me explain, regardless of the horizontal crossfader position, this function is ONLY related to Vertical Fader position (and gain fader). You can find this function in some DJ mixer (LED beside the Vertical fader) and 4-tracker recorder console. Assume channel A is playing, we are cuing channel B. The Vertical fader is like water tap, when it is shuted (level 0), no sound can go through, thus sound indicator shows 0 sound level, as the Vertical fader increase level, sound can go through and the sound indicator shows the Dynamic Sound level of the track being cued, until the indicator sound level is about the same as the track that is broadcasting (Channel A), I know I have tuned to the right Vertical fader position. The horizontal crossfader position does Not affect the above, no matter the crossfader is in Channel A or in the middle position, the sound indicator beside the Vertical fader (red indicator) will show ONLY dynamic sound level letting through by the Vertical fader, it may (crossfader in middle or in Channel B) or may not (crossfader in Channel A) be broadcasting to audience.

In DJ mixer or 4-tracker recorder console, the LED can hold maximum sound level for a second while dynamically moving (you can also see this effect in winamp's spectrumlyzer) to emphasize maximum sound level.

I can see that there is another sound indicator at the upper part of the screen (blue indicator), I think this can indicate the final sound output level passed through Vertical fader and horizontal crossfader, the sound level being broadcasted to the audience.

Again, many many thanks djjb for your attention.

Regards,

rprado (dj Artimix)

Posted Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 5:27 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't think master output monitor has been implemented in the skin engine... At least I haven't seen it in any other skin.

I'm not sure how it is done in 3.1, but in versions before 2.0 the "monitor" was actually just 1 pixel representation of a waveform above, making it look like a monitor but not having any real purpose. Just a visual add.

Posted Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 12:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)