Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: pcmcia/usb soundcards

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi

I want to purchase a pcmcia soundcard for my notebook, I prefer it to usb for various reasons. I hesitate between the following model

echo indigo IO: http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/index.php

Top audio quality but only one stereo line out (no 5.1 here). So i'd have to use a splitter. Asked on another forum and someone told me quality would suffer because of the mono conversion and read the opposite on another thread, so what's the verdict ?

Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook: http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=10769

7.1 card that mirrors features of the PCI card with the same name.

I'd like to have opinions of users of thses cards before making a decision. I'm concerned with the use of a stereo splitter with the echo indigo.

I see that most people with laptop use the maya44 USB. It's only USB 1.1 and there must be better by now. What would you recommend knowing I don't need tons of input/output but I need a high quality input/output as I'll probably use the sound card for production also ?

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 4:51 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Maya44usb is still a very good choice, and the best value for money,
...if you can find it buy it...
There is a mislead about the 1.1 and 2.0 usb specs.
2.0 is not faster,(usb is...usb, same cpu load) just the bandwich is (much) greater, but you dont need it. 8x48Khz channels audio streaming (4in/4out) is under the bandwich of 1.1...
So this card does what it says, and it has true support for 44Khz (no resample,unlike creative's...)
I NEVER recommend creative cards, avoid them.
Pcmcia cards are best for performance but you are limited to the pcmci bus.

Edit: i see you will need a card for production also...
Then you must think about pci/pcmci or firewire cards.
(For serious job, not that my maya doesnt work right with my cubase and Ableton Live)

Posted Sun 25 Sep 05 @ 5:22 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Posted Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 7:02 pm
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have the audigy 2 zs to use with my laptop. It works great and has decent quality sound with low latency. Far better connection in my opinion than usb because its fairly loose.

But yeah its only ideal if you aren't using tcv or tccd's as acw_dj said because there is only 1 input for a line in and thats optical.

Posted Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 1:55 am
djchillPRO InfinityMember since 2005
So if I wanna use TCCdS and TCV what soundcard do yu all recomened?can I still use the soundblaster soundcards?

Posted Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 3:19 pm
bobbiePRO InfinityMember since 2003
Bought the ZS Notebook finally and it works great ! If you plan to uses TCV you should get a maya44 usb

Posted Sat 01 Oct 05 @ 12:23 pm
If you want to use TCVS or TCCDs get the Maya 44 USB as your first option. If you couldn't find in your area, use M-Audio Delta 44 (PCI). If you want to use it in a notebook use the M-Audio FireWire 1820 or the E-MU1616 from Creative Profesional Series.

Posted Sat 01 Oct 05 @ 4:41 pm
li125PRO InfinityMember since 2005
excuse me, but what are TCVs & TCCDs?

Posted Sat 01 Oct 05 @ 10:31 pm

Posted Sun 02 Oct 05 @ 1:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)