Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ crashes when I use the Database to see mp3's in a USB extrnal Drive

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

raqmanHome userMember since 2005
Hi,

I have tried to read through the forums to see if this is a common problem, but there does not seem to be a thread.

If I right click on the database and say to add Drive E, which is an extrenal USB drive, it starts scanning, but after a few seconds VDJ crashes.

Now it cannot be the hard drive, as I got a Hercules DJ Console and I tried Mixvibes, which does not crash.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening, as I have a party tomorrow and would rather use VDJ than Mixvibes.

Thanks

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 12:49 pm
Never heard of that problem, and I too have my songs on a external harddrive.
What is the version you're using?

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 4:27 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Can you gig with a single sound card source, did you set up your card in config right?

I wouldn't be using anything that crashes live, mixvibes is the only choice if VDJ is crashing.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 5:01 pm
mp3rick, the HDJC has a dual soundcard built into it so he doesn't need another sound card. USB drives work fine. I've been using one since day one. The problem most likely is the bundled 1.09 VDJ that comes with HDJC. It will choke on weird filenames when scanning the hard drive. Later versions of VDJ will fix this. I would recommend upgrading to full version of VDJ. If you can't do that, then I would recommend creating the mp3database.txt file by some other means. Back before I upgraded to full version, I wrote a script to scan the hard drive and create the mp3database.txt file. This seemed to work fine.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 5:27 pm
raqmanHome userMember since 2005
am at work at the moment, but I guess it could be the version that comes with DJ Console, I will try again tonight.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 5:34 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
raqman,

Try installing the latest demo version (assuming you're currently using the HDJC bundled version) and see it still happens. It may just be the bug that anewsome mentions with the older version. If the newer version fixes it, then you will still have time to purchase the full version (if you decide to) to use tomorrow. I hope that does fix your issue.

Good Luck.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 6:48 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Try to isolate the "bad" file or filename(s), scan folder by folder.

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 6:56 pm
also, register your bundled version with atomix and you'll get a cool icon under your name when you post :-)

Posted Fri 16 Sep 05 @ 7:25 pm
djkikePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi, I use an external 80Gb HDD USB and play directly music and video from it with VDJ via USB 2.0 without problems.... if you really use it proffesionally, I recommend you to buy 3.1 version, once registered you forget problems.
Enjoy
DJ Kike

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 12:19 am
Normally you don't have to add your external harddrive to VDJ:
- Attach your drive and switch it on
- Wait until Windows will see the drive, the drive is available then by "My computer" and has a drive letter
- Start VDJ
- Right click "Database" and select "Scan HD". Make sure your external drive is selected and hit "OK". All your hard drives will be scanned.

I don't think corrupt files will crash this process, while only the filenames will be searched and added to the database. If you have selected the "Analyse bpm on each file" option, the file itself will be analysed. This could crash VDJ if some wrong files are on your harddisk.

Ewout

Posted Sun 18 Sep 05 @ 3:34 pm
Superstorm, this problem is real. I experienced it to with the bundled version that comes with HDJC (1.09). The program will crash on long filenames, filenames with commas, filenames with apostrophes, brackets, parenthesis, etc. Upgrading to a newer version of VDJ will fix it.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 5:52 pm
I also used the 1.09 version before, but never experienced any problem. I have all my mp3's on an external drive. I Also have lots of brackets in my filenames. Normally I'm not using the following characters in my filenames ,`~".'[]&^@#! So maybe one of these (probably ' or ", while these represents string values in most programming languages) will cause troubles.
You could replace all these characters by a renaming tool, or create a little vb script (Make sure you have a backup!). A fix for the 1.09 console users would be helpfull however, because not all console users would like to buy the full version.
Ewout

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 8:49 pm
The problem was not only special characters in filenames, but long filenames and deep directories were also a problem. Renaming is simply not an option. My collection has 100% correct filenames and directory names. Files like this:

D:\mp3\a\A Tribe Called Quest\People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm\10 - A Tribe Called Quest - Rhythm (Devoted To The Art Of Moving Butts).mp3

would choke the parser. I quickly got around it by writing my own parser to create the mp3database.txt. That worked fine for me but I would think that most people would want Atomix to fix 1.09 version instead of forcing users to purchase the full product in order to have a working program.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 05 @ 9:14 pm
Maybe a suggestion to post the parser, 1.09 console users could use this as a (temporary) solution.
Ewout

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 6:11 pm
My parser was written in Perl and ran on Linux, so most users would not find a use for it without a Linux box to run it on.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 6:34 pm
ah, ok I didn't know that. If I find some time I could make a little program to create the text file.
Ewout

Posted Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 7:00 pm

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 2:36 pm
nickgoodman,
keep in mind that there are two files
- mp3database.txt, contains only the filenames, this file is filled when you do a scan of your harddrives. Here is the problem for the 1.09 version users
- VirtualDJ Database.xml, contain level information, cue points, start and end points for automix, bpm info. You are probably referring to this file
Ewout

Posted Wed 21 Sep 05 @ 11:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)