Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Placing a laptop at not horizontal position, is it safe ?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I just bought this "Professional music sheet stand"
http://www.proelgroup.com/proelgroup/en/support/product.jsp?id_prod=11157967144160
(click on image for better view)
Not designed for laptop, but It can hold max 6 Kg weight.
And it has adjustable angle.
I'll try it tomorrow at a wedding as a base for my laptop.

I just wonder how safe it is to have the laptop (and its harddrive) installed and working at about angle 45°, as i had some bad experience sometime with a desktop pc placed not horizontal. (I had to replace the hard disk)

Anyone have a comment about this ?
I'll appreciate it.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 8:46 am
It is not safe because te components of your laptop are conceived to work in an horizontal position..... It is dangerous to put a laptop on vertical position or other.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 9:57 am

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 12:16 pm
DJ mix max:
Vertical is also ok, you are wrong. However, all angles in between is NOT recommended. Since the real dangerous situations only occour when you accidantly hit/kick or making other sudden moves of the laptop. Make sure the laptop is attached real tight, and try prevent it from all possible impacts.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 12:28 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
HDD variance +/- 15 degrees from H or V.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 2:17 pm
ah ok if you may be true

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 4:34 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It is safe yes, it even be an advantage if the bracket has an empty back, as air can circulate better through the vents.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 4:47 pm
I would use velcro stickers on the stand and the laptop to hold it in place but allow you to remove it after the gig. You only get a couple of drops before it's all over. Prob cheaper to buy a new one than repair so I would do whatever I can to not let it fall over.

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 6:23 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
You may notice your laptop getting a little warmer than normal. Just watch out for that.
Most cooling designs depend on (or at least compensate for) the upward movement of warm air to effectively cool all components.

I know HP sells a dock/stand for my particular laptop that has adjustable angle and in the most extreme angle it appears to be just about vertical. I would therefore have to say there shouldn't be much of a problem:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?product_code=PA399A%23ABA

Posted Fri 02 Sep 05 @ 9:01 pm
Thank you all.
The stand can work at horizontal too, it is just not so stable and not well ballanced.
Maybe i use it this way (horizontal) tomorrow, I'm thinking not to risk at the first gig with it.
It is not so "stable" anyway although it has very good build quality, but i will use external mixer/controllers, so i will not "touch" the laptop while i play.
The metal base also works as a cooler as i tested it today, (it takes some of the heat) and i plain to install a fan at the back side.

Posted Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 2:46 am
chabonkPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Posted Sat 03 Sep 05 @ 8:04 am
I just came home from the wedding.
Finally i removed the metal base (easy) and placed it on top of a standard keyboard stand.
This gave me better stability, and the laptop was in horizontal place....
It is still not clear to me how safe it is to use various angles...

Posted Sun 04 Sep 05 @ 2:13 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My laptop is on an angle.... roughly 40-50degs. It shouldnt make any difference as long as your air vents aren't blocked.

Check out my blog for a pic

Posted Sun 04 Sep 05 @ 8:38 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)