Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Playing a shortcut to an mp3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does anyone know if VDJ will play a windows shortcut to an mp3 file? You create these in windows by dragging a file somewhere with a right click and choosing "create shortcut". A ".lnk" file is then created. I know Winamp will play these with no problem. Not sure if VDJ will or not. Can someone test and report back. I am at work and I can not test this.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 11:05 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It definately works, and it also indicates when the song has been played (both on the original file and the shortcut).

Very useful.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 11:10 pm
I know you all are gonna say this is a worthless idea (since the file browser does this for you), but I am creating a script that scans my music collection and makes a couple of new folders in the root of my music drive. Currently, my music simply has this in the root:

E:\mp3

My script will create (for now), the following:

E:\byArtist
E:\byGenre

Inside those directories will be more directories, and in those will be links. Don't ask why, it's useful for me.

Posted Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 11:43 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Its working but i dont use it for 2 reasons:
1. If you move the original file, vdj gives an "error loading" (it dosnt try to find the file and update the shortcut like windows)
2. Shortcut to folders not supported.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 3:07 am
The links will all be destroyed and re-created everytime the script runs so files not found will never be a problem. I also won't need shortcuts to folders, the folders will be real - only the mp3s will be linked.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 3:37 am
I'm interested for this script.

Posted Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 3:02 pm
Practically I'm doing the same. I have my music folder sorted like this

H:\Mp3\Mp3Dvd0001\Micheal Jacson - Thriller\01 - Michael Jackson - Beat it.mp3

In the case of hard disc problems I just could just restore my DVD's on the (new or formatted) drive.
Because this isn't really handy to seach for example by genre. I inserted all my songs in an Microsoft Access database. In there I could link a song to different genres.
From this database I create a folder for each genre with a little self made application. In this folder I create (also automatically) a shortcut to the original file.

In Windows explorer the shortcut is named Michael Jackson - Beat it.mp3 linking to H:\Mp3\Mp3Dvd0001\Micheal Jacson - Thriller\01 - Michael Jackson - Beat it.mp3.
VDJ however shows: 01 - Michael Jackson - Beat it.mp3 in the shortcut folder. I will post a new feature that VDJ just is showing the shortcut name instead of the original filename.
Ewout

Posted Sun 21 Aug 05 @ 2:29 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Maybe in the future we have more search and filter options with the files managment.

Posted Tue 23 Aug 05 @ 2:16 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
And that has been requested by many to an extent.

Posted Tue 23 Aug 05 @ 2:26 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Shortcuts to folders work. I use this possibility for the samples.
In the samples folders I created a shortcut to "Audio Tools" where I put loops and jingles in subfolders.

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 2:51 pm
The only trouble I find in using shortcuts is the following:

The original file is named: 01 - Michael Jackson - Thriller.mp3. I have converted whole cds to mp3 and then kept the original cd layout including the tracknumber on the original cd (track 1 in this example).
Then I create a shortcut to this file with the following name: Michael Jackson - Thriller.mp3.ink. I copy this file to my 80s directory. When I look in Windows explorer I see in my 80s folder: Michael Jackson - Thriller. If I look in the vdj browselist in the 80s folder I see: 01 - Michael Jackson - Thriller.

So vdj is displaying the original file name. I would like an option in the config menu or the registry to have the name of the shortcut displayed instead of the original file name. I posted this also in the "new features" forum some time ago.

Ewout

Posted Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 9:28 pm
Superstorm, you make a good point. I wonder if this is even possible to do.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 7:17 pm
It will display the original name yes..

I have all my songs named like this:
artist - song.mp3

So I make shortcut folders all the time, either for preparing a gig og making a special genre folder etc.

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 7:31 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
some of mine also have the 01-artist-song.mp3, is there an program that will sort these by artist name and ignore the track #'s?. Most of mine fit the same genre so i only need them alphabetically

Posted Tue 08 Nov 05 @ 7:56 pm
Renameit 3.32

Try this excellent and free utility:
http://www.beroux.com/?id=22

Very easy to use, and you can for example "trim" the first 3 characters of 1000 files like this in 3 seconds...

Posted Wed 09 Nov 05 @ 3:35 am
I know that I could rename the files. But I would like to keep my original filenames. This because I used all these cd's for years, before I started to use VDJ. For most of those cds, especially the dance classics ones. I know the tracknumbers by head (I know it is sick..). In this case I could find my tracks fast and easy.
I was just wondering why a folder browser is implemented that displays other information than the windows exporer, where we all familiar with, does.
I hope that the option to choose between the original filename and the shortcut name will be implemented.
Ewout

Posted Thu 10 Nov 05 @ 2:09 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)