Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Digital DJ Licence

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Guys

I got an email earlier from Mastermix about the newly available Digital DJ Licence available for £250 for 12 months...which is apparently the next revolution in digital dj'ing...from a legal point of view.

You can check the details out here http://www.mastermixdj.com or here http://www.digitaldj.co.uk

does this mean anything to anyone/ is this something we need to think about getting? or just some clown trying to get more bucks out of us?!?!!?

this is what the site (mastermixdj.com) says about the whole thing...

Digital DJ Licence

16 Aug 2005 - James Hudson

After 8 months of intensive research and preparation, we can proudly announce that the PPL Digital DJ Licence is now available to purchase at our new sister website, www.digitaldj.co.uk

The PPL Digital DJ Licence allows DJs to transfer up to 20,000 tracks onto a computer or MP3 device to play out in clubs, pubs and other venues. In addition, the Licence entitles DJs to keep a back-up of all digital copies on a separate database or hard drive. With more and more leading DJ equipment manufacturers releasing MP3 based hardware, there is now a legal and sensible route available to fully embrace the ever changing industry climate. The licence will be available to buy at digitaldj.co.uk.

Mastermix will provide the 12 month licence acting as agents to PPL (the Phonographic Performance Limited). DJs will be able to purchase the Mastermix Digital DJ Membership for £250 plus VAT which in addition to the PPL Digital DJ Licence will include a 12 month access to the first community based website solely dedicated to Digital DJs. Digitaldj.co.uk members will benefit from news, reviews, self marketing guides, message boards, a personalised email account and more essential features.

One of the main benefits of the Mastermix Digital DJ Membership is access to DJ Print, the bespoke promotional service for creating personalised promotional material such as flyers, business cards and letterheads. In addition, members will also receive a PPL membership card and welcome pack. A 12 month licence-only package without any membership benefits is also available for £200 plus VAT

This is one of the most important and significant changes to Mastermix since we launched the service 15 years ago. The PPL Digital DJ Licence is the future and we hope that everyone who uses computer technology, (or intends to) will take this next, legal step in their DJ career.

Click on the link to the left of this page to visit www.digitaldj.co.uk which provides further information about the Licence and a comprehensive FAQ section, written by PPL

let me know what you guys think about this

cheers...and keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 1:50 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
haha who would of thought you'd need a licence for such a thing?!
i think its ridiculous to be honest, some little scam to get money. why should you pay for making backup copies of what you have already purchased? er @ that. anyone take this serious?

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:26 am
i know what you mean...but it looks like they've really done this whole shabang...and they seem to be serious about it...

i dunno man...i'm unsure...:o|

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:34 am
for 250 euro from a ton of people, i would spend that much work making it look serious, and for them to give out a '' real '' liscence they would have to be like part of the goverment, or something like that... but anyways,

they arent gonna send an email to everyone, so then how would people no about it, and if it is true, everyone would need to no about it, so i wouldnt do anything, unless you see a whole bunch more about it somewhere else, and more reliable, because thats wat they would have to do,

even then, i wouldnt trust it,

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:44 am
i now have anither thought, it seems as though they arwe offering it, and not saying you need it to play mp3's at clubs, (cuz thats what i thought at first it was saying), i dont no what you were thinking, but now it seems like this might be like a music provider or something, you pay 250 euro and have acces to 20,000 mp3's, thats wat its now seeming like to me

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:47 am
alright, screw my second thought, now i have a third one, i think now, its not a scam, its a real thing, but a pretty useless one with not many features you need, just a bunch of extra crap

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:49 am
ya, i think the liscence its completely useless and bull ****, becasue we are allowed to take songs from cd's and stuff and put them on our computers, but i dont think its a scam, just a huuge rip-off

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:51 am
ok, now im not sure, cuz they sell the liscence idividually too? i wouldnt buy it,

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:52 am
weird one, huh?

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 2:56 am
ya pretty weird... unless you were talking about me lol, and all my posts ??

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 3:01 am
lol...no no...the whole licence thing is a weird one...:o)

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 3:11 am
lol, ok good, was scared there for a second..

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 3:13 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Actually for the Europe it is an attempt to get around some pretty strick laws about using MP3s within the DJing industry. For example, I think it's Italy; it is completely illegal to use anything other than vinyl or Offical Industry CDs. The point behind it is that you can't steal a CD or Vinyl electronicly from the internet or file sharing source. So if you are playing vinyl or CDs then you are playing a legally aquired song.

As for the license, I would look deeper into it and spend some time trying to ask PPL if this is a legitimate method of being able to play MP3s.

--- The more I read through the digitaldj.co.uk site I found that it is more specific to the UK and not Europe as a whole.
Read this PDF and get a better sense of what's going on - http://www.digitaldj.co.uk/images/pdf/ddj_information.pdf

Also, this is a big step if it get's alot of support. But I still go with my original suggestion of contacting PPL before spending the Euros.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 4:45 am
actually, you can get illegal vynils, in a sense, vestax released a new product in which you can ''write your own vynils, you go easily download songs and have the product, scratch them in, its actually very cool, i think its 15,000 dollars tho, but in the end that could save dj's (who havent yet discovered virtual dj :)) ALOT of money

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 5:13 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No brennan - it's not worth it. And, that is not a savings, also you could never get the same quality and reproduce the exact released product with label and such. Also, not all music released these days are on vinyl anymore. Anyhow... it's a legal thing that needs to be researched further.

--- BTW are you living in this forum now? And do you have a comment about everything whether helpful or not?

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 5:29 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This is a respected organisation and the license is legit, but your quite right, it is restricted to the UK, as every country in the EU has varying laws on this matter, the UK seems to be not too hard on the issue, but then again, Italy has always been conservative, and I disagree with their laws on this.

This is a new product, so it wont become standard or expected for some time, but their had to be a solution to to the issues concerning music files, and this may well be the way the UK works around this..

Of couse it's only for proffesional DJ's playing commercialy, don't rush out and buy such a license unless your in the public eye (often)..

My prediction is that we'll see more of this kinda thing, in most of the EU.

Glad to see some solutions arising than just complete bans.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 1:11 pm
brennan: read actual faq before you post. this company was founded almost before you were even born, so don't comment on things you don't know or only think you know of.
This is an attempt for making MP3 a less "bad" word, to make it more legit in the DJ world. The license entitles you to access a database of 20.000 songs, right. The license ENTITLES you to download and use songs from a DATABASE of 20.000 songs... I think the idea is good, but should be less bounded to countries borders. But there's also a fact that many clubs pay a fee to a organisation (called STIM), atleast here in Sweden, that represent artists/song writers/record labels, so they are getting their $$ anyways for playing their songs.
This is however a compromising solution to all the DJ's in the world that don't buy CD's, that use burnt CD's to play on clubs, and there are lots of them.

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 4:08 pm
ok, i will check out the faq mor eoften, and yeah, i like this forum, its somewhat addicting :)

Posted Wed 17 Aug 05 @ 7:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)