Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How to set up Headphone cueing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi again guys, I've just got my new speakers and the only thing that i'm missing with my home set up is the ability to cue the songs in via the headphones, I've heard some of you guys talking about splitters so you can have 2 mono outputs going through one stereo soundcard, could you please tell me how to do this and if I have to buy anything exactly?,

When I play commercially I sopose i'll use something like the Xp10's or just buy a dual soundcard if stereo is required, I sopose some people would demand stereo?,

Thanks in advance boys.

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 12:18 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If you're playing commercially I think you'll need a mixer, and you'll certainly need an amp.

For headphone cueing. Get a stereo splitter. A cable that has the headphone mini type jack on one end, and 2 RCA connectors on the other end.
Adapt one of the rca plugs to your speakers, and adapt the other to your headphone.

Posted Wed 17 Mar 04 @ 1:12 pm
OK, thanks, I think i know what you mean, I sopose I can get one of those from a computer shop?.

I don't understand why I would need a mixer to play commercially, do you mean it would be more practical to save bending down when mixing?, when I said playing commercially I ment in a club where they should have an amp, decks, even cd mixers implemented, maybe i'm wrong but I always thought a dj would just turn up with his record bag and maybe his decks, mixers etc,

So with the aim in mind to play in a local club that plays your typical clubby stuff, what set up would be most practical and also to maintain a proffesional image whilst mixing like a pro?.

I don't want to turn up with everything but the kitchen sink now do I!,

another quick question, is it easy enough to set up upon arrival to a club, laptop to whatever system they have?

Thanks alot buds.

Posted Thu 18 Mar 04 @ 8:16 pm
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Usually, it is easy. All club have a mixer with stereo RCA inputs. You just have to plug your computer on it.
:)

Posted Fri 19 Mar 04 @ 7:48 am
DJ Rick.....what do you mean by adapt?

Posted Fri 17 Jun 05 @ 4:30 am
By adapt he means to connect it through a connector. you need a RCA-Stereo(female) connector to connect your headphones to an RCA cable. right DJ Rick?

Posted Fri 17 Jun 05 @ 1:47 pm
do you still have a console ?

Posted Fri 17 Jun 05 @ 1:51 pm
Check the date, this post is ancient, obviously only most recent question needs to be adressed, lol.

Posted Fri 17 Jun 05 @ 2:04 pm
:-) I saw, anyway i was wondering about home setup, if you have console why you need splitter ...
or if you have console at work why you need a new dual output card :-)

Posted Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 1:17 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Instead of using a splitter, you can always try using 2 cables from your soundcard, which is what i do.

I use a 'mini jack to two phono' lead from my headphone out socket on my soundcard (soundblaster 5.1) to my mixer and another 'mini jack to two phono' from my speaker out socket to the mixer. The phones are plugged straight into the mixer anyway and that way you can use your phones for monitoring the next track and cueing...

The bonus with this is that there's not too much weight on the soundcard, and the weight that is applied is spread over the card. Excessive wieght on the soundcards sockets (as you might get with a Y splitter) may well ruin the sockets, rendering the soundcard useless.

P

Posted Sun 19 Jun 05 @ 2:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)