Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Buying MP3's???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

If a vinylstore sells Quality MP3's, directly ripped from new vinyls to CD's. Would you consider buying them????
Do you think it's possible for a vinylstore to do such thing???? (manufacturing price, sell price, rendability?).
And would the price of those "MP3 CD's" be higher then vinyl or not???

I'm asking this because I want to propose it to a vinylstore, just wanted to check if the concept is allright.
If a vinylstore creates a large Database of MP3's, then you can select which tracks you want (for exam

GnoedeL

Posted Fri 06 Jun 03 @ 9:42 pm
any reactions? Is it a stupid idea???

Posted Sat 07 Jun 03 @ 6:36 pm
mcs-itPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You must have the authorization of the label to do that...

Posted Sat 07 Jun 03 @ 8:39 pm
so it's impossible to realise? Yeah, too bad then

Posted Sat 07 Jun 03 @ 10:12 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
IsnĀ“t that illegal ?

Posted Sun 08 Jun 03 @ 5:10 am
well I think that's a bad idea just because of the fact that this is very time consuming and well the viynl store I goto has a lot of records so it would take you about a year just to copy each one of them to a cd....and get all of the record labels permission which can take weeks and I'm pretty sure you have to pay them for using the name and the copyright so that cost money...along with the fact that if i just wanted it i could get it off of kazaa~ so Yeah...THATS NOT A GOOD ONE :\

Posted Sun 08 Jun 03 @ 6:23 am
You can buy music on cd and convert them to MP3. I think your well withing your rights. As long as you don't sell them.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 03 @ 9:28 pm
Or for that matter. Buy your vinyl and convert them yourself to MP3. That's what I do. It suits me fine. Although it's a task to do so but at least you have the music you want converted.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 03 @ 9:31 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Personally, I think it's a great idea. However, I think the licencing required would be a big problem. I don't think a record store owner would be able to aquire all the rights to all the songs that people would want to buy. The record companies would probably not work with record stores because they want to sell full CD's, not just the individual tracks. The international music industry needs to WAKE UP!! People by the millions are listening to mp3's now. They should make them easier and easier to buy them, or the world will continue to trade and share them.
Sure, they killed Napster a few years ago, but 5 other sharing utilities poped up almost overnight... kill those 5 and 25 more will be there the next day. Instead of worrying about how they can protect their product from being ripped into an mp3 file, they should be figuring out a way to capitalize on the rabid growth in the mp3 community.

(that's what I think anyway)
Usually I'm wrong tho.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 03 @ 9:45 pm
The problem is the RIAA and other simular media bodies feel that if they put the music in MP3 format they would loose control.

The problem is if they make it available in MP3 format they might as well give away millions if not billions of dollars. Their argument is (example) "if we make a Santana album available in MP3, How are we going to collect any revenue from it if one person buys it and share it with the world online?"

How are they suppose to have control over that. That's why they are reluctent to even mention the word MP3, only in littigation. There is no way around the issue of piracy. That's why we would never see them convert their catalogs into the MP3 format unless we have the music we want and do it ourselves.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 03 @ 10:19 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)