Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: The real vurtual turntable

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ns-codeHome userMember since 2003
First of all, i'm new on forum, so if anyone has thought of this first I apologize in andvance.

I see lots of people are makeing scrach devices for Atomix, so i've got an idea of my own. Why not modify a force feedback steering wheel so that it can turn 360* and connect that with Atomix (i don't know if it supports sraches by joystick, but it could be done with an effect plugin or an update).
Throtlle control could be used like a tt's arm, and rudder for pitch.

What do you think about this?

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 1:16 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
not a bad idea.

However, atomixmp3 doesnt support scratching by joystick. Maybe in the future though.

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 2:15 pm
Thatz awesome!!! In Fact I would buy something like that...
Also with my just discovering the joystick crossfade feature I have a throttle on my joystick also and that would be a great idea ...maybe a new shortcut because hands on is great... Especially if its with hardware you probably have owned but never use (game joystick)

TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION in Virtual DJ

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 3:15 pm
I've just thought of one other thing that could be done with this. Becouse force feedback can be conroled by PC scraches could be recorded and then sent back to virtual tt.

Could there be any better way of learnig how to scratch!?

Posted Fri 30 May 03 @ 7:41 pm
This forum could realy use a post editing option!

Posted Sat 31 May 03 @ 8:29 am
Force feedback costs a lot. Possible for a pro model, but if you're going pro, you need direct software integration, which you're not going to get from atomix. There is some open source linux audio programs that allow scratching integration thru a variety of serial (and user designed) devices. If you're looking for force feedback, that's a good place to start to understand the logistics of vinyl scratching emulation.

One more thing, "a lot of people are building scratch devices" and I encourage it 100%

but shout out to digitize for lighting the fuse ;-)

-regards and good luck,
digitize

Posted Sat 31 May 03 @ 2:10 pm
One more thing,

if you haven't seen the videos of the scratch interface yet, go to my site

http://fastforwardthinker.com (design section)

and watch them :)

-digitize

Posted Sat 31 May 03 @ 2:14 pm
Yes, I have seen the videos and ist's Nice what you're doing there! I had a simmilar idea before I even found out about this forum (in fact, the first day I used Atomix), but than the force feedback idea came to me.

I know it is expencive, in fact it could end up costing as a fare real turntable, but it is giving you all the powers of it plus the powers you have with atomix.

As for the integration, why wouldn't I get it from Atomix. If the developers are smart they will include better joystick integration in the next version, including scratches and x-fader by any given axis, not just x (it would work a lot better on throttle conroll). And even if they don't it could be done with a plug-in.

Posted Sat 31 May 03 @ 2:43 pm
Hey Digitize...i think that would be a great idea maybe you should let him help develop on your new product

Posted Sun 01 Jun 03 @ 12:41 am
It's interesting in fact, becasue my professor at my school was one of the original developers of the force-feedback technology. The work he did is now used as the control joysticks for fighter planes for the navy and airforce now. So i have had quite a bit of inside knowledge of the technology behind it. I cannot say for sure if atomix will lend support or not, but from a business perspective, they have little to gain unless you work for them, or they develop it themselves. We can always hope, and I agree, force-feedback is the way to go for accuracy, but the cost/benefit ratio is still a bit too much in my oppinion.

-digitize

Posted Sun 01 Jun 03 @ 1:38 am
Whel, they already have a deal with Numark about that DMC-1 controller.

Posted Sun 01 Jun 03 @ 7:56 am
And its not true that they have little to gain, if such a cool product could be used with Atomix its sales would go up so hi that airforce would have to shoot 'em down (using your proffesor's technology :-)!

Posted Sun 01 Jun 03 @ 8:01 am
ok?

Posted Sun 01 Jun 03 @ 7:29 pm
For the last 3 years I have thought of hundreds of ways to let us control the software by means other than traditional cd-style controllers. Believe me, there is some amazing technology out there, and I agree, utilizing it would transform what it means to be a DJ to levels unimaginable (and really capture the power of the software). But you can't skip from "A" to "C" without going thorugh "B" first. In other words, the potential is amazing, but you must take it slow, and prove one step before moving to the next. Jump aboard though, cause my life goal is to taking it to the next dimension, and I know you guys are out there supporting it...

Digitize

Posted Mon 02 Jun 03 @ 1:53 am
I am not jumping to C. I am jumping to Z.
Whell, at least until they invent mind readers that would scratch as you think :-)

Posted Mon 02 Jun 03 @ 7:37 am
lol

gimmie a few years, I'm workin on that!

Posted Mon 02 Jun 03 @ 9:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)