Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Who designed the website?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I'm in the process of building my own personal DJ website and i was just wondering who designed and hosts the atomixmp3.com website...and if its not to much to ask???
how much did it cost?

Thanks

Posted Wed 28 May 03 @ 10:19 pm
Dams designed it :)

Posted Wed 28 May 03 @ 10:30 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
With Pol too

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 1:47 am
Dams are u good with html?
If so do you think you could possible help me with my site???
because i have nooo clue what the heck to do with the html editor they gave me and i really want to get this thing off the ground and on the web!!!

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 4:17 am
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
I think Dams is very very busy these times... You'll find a lot of tutorials over the Internet to make your own website, you know... ;-) Everybody started from zero a day...

Slash

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 2:20 pm
I know that but im using prohostings free hosting stuff and Im just not good with html and all that jazz.

I just need a helping hand...

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 3:10 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
What do you need to know ? How to design ? To dynamize ? to encode ? Html is very simple so tell us what's your problem, i'm sure you'll find some help. Personnally at the beggining I was watching the source code of some big websites (yahoo, google...) to see how they were coded, and then I was able to do the same...

Slash

Posted Thu 29 May 03 @ 3:19 pm
Hello,

I'm an old school DJ who is getting back into the game. I have been on Hiatus for the past 10 years and now I feel like spinning again. Back in the day I was damn good. Wife put a stop to my wild ways so I gave up the tables and became a graphic designer.

Now I have a career in Web Design/Developement. I have worked on websites from Merrill Lynch to MTV. I feel I'm good at what I do and have built many sites.

I'm currently designing a DJ website of my own.

Just as it takes practice to work on the mix, it's just the same for learning how to creat a website. Unfortunatley it will take a book to explain how to go about it.

First you must ask yourself, are you planning to get people to come to your site, have your music on there so people could hear or are you selling something? Lots to think about.

Second, you must know what your doing (Unless you want to hire someone to do it for you, like me, but that will cost you a pretty penny) If your doing it yourself I suggest you look for all the free information possible that is out there.

Third, once you get a handle on the HTML thing, It would be wise to invest in a HTML software like Microsoft Front Page (for beginners) or the grand master of programs such as Macromedia Dreamweaver MX (My personal favorite and industry leader). Those program will help you build great website if you know what your doing.

I compare Front Page and Dreamweaver programs like you would compare turntables. Of course you can afford a Numark, but wont you be better off with a Technics.

Also the art of Graphic design. You need to know how to make them, how to use them and how to place them in you website in order to look good.

Anyway I'm going on and on. Like I said it will take a book of me explaining it to you.

Here are some resources:

Http://www.coolhomepages.com

Books:

"Dreamweaver MX the missing Manual" (great book to learn from. Once you soak up this book to the fullest, you can do almost anything with that program)

Graphic design books at http://www.linda.com
This person has tons of great books to help you in your quest.

Hope this helps out.

Later

Posted Fri 30 May 03 @ 2:32 am
DO U think you can help me design mine???

Posted Fri 30 May 03 @ 3:16 pm
To XxNuMbR1StUnNrxX,

Tell me what you want to do? Not what you can't do but what do you want your website to do. What is the goal your looking to achieve?

Posted Fri 30 May 03 @ 4:52 pm
Well... I want it to be involved with atomixmp3 but at the same time have a part about me and my dj rep too in it and the most i want out off it is to have people post there mixes (in the lowest bit rate possible of coarse) and I want it to look something like kurtelling.com (for those who don't know kurt elling is a grammy award winning jazz vocalist who has an AMAZING singing voice...check out some of his songs like night dreamer the next you on kazaa...)

But design and creativity is what im looking for most and cost (low)...I want it to have the all of the content of DJhomeboy.com if not more but I want it to be a little bit more pleasing to the eyes, my main focus is to have a business site with the atomixmp3 junky in mind so if someone wants to check out someone's mix they can or check out my mix they can and i could have my linkz, top ten atomixmp3 stuff, pictures, new releases on hip hop songs, tips and tricks for atomixmp3 and business contact as well...

does it make sense???
If so can u help me???

Please??

Posted Fri 30 May 03 @ 11:19 pm
Ok XxNuMbR1StUnNrxX,

Let me break it down. It's a tall order.

First you have to find a hosting company that will give you a lot of bang for your buck. Hosting music files (even low file sizes) if popular will tax the server and in turn will tax you big time. Find a hosting company that will give you X amount of file transfer a month. The more transfer the better.

Also check what their rate is if you go over your quota.

2. Although the Jazz site is very nice, It's not what you want to do. You want to make it look somewhat of a portal. Links to various places on your website and such. If you have it like the Jazz website and make people look for the areas of interest then they will not be there for long. They will loose interest. It should all be up front on the first page.

If you want to make a flash intro, that too will run you money if you don't know how to do it. Like I said in my previous post, get all the info online free and learn how to do it. It's the best way and the cheapest of all.

Also a session of music mixes that runs about 1 hour will run at least 10mb (low format). Most webservers give you about anywhere from 50 to 100mb to start out. And if you have only 10 mixes at about 10mb a piece (give or take) then you maxxed out your capacity.

You will have to buy more space at more money. Although there are free file storing sites out there, if you do save the files at one of those services, and your end user will click on a link to the music file, the service will want to get your users to register with them. It build up thier database and then your users will get pissed at you for doing that to them and won't return to your site.

Last but not least. I sense your doing this as a hobby. Rates for hosting runs for about $5 a month with low, low budget service with no support to about and more than $99 a month to do what you want it to do with it.

I don't want to discourage you. By all means experiment. Oh, did I forget to mention that you have to have your own domain name like XxNuMbR1StUnNrxX.com if you want people to go to your site. Although you can get it as low as $8 a year I would suggest in a name people will remember. with a name like XxNuMbR1StUnNrxX.com people will not want to type it out for the browser to find and god forbid they misplaced a letter and get an error. I can bet the farm they won't come back.

As far as getting it done cheap. I don't think that can happen, not for what you want to do with it. It is possible to get it done on the cheap but as the saying goes "You get what you pay for" and that leads to fustration and then some. As for me, I don't give quotes publicly. I do charge a heavy penny to do so. Like i said I've done websites from Merrill Lynch to MTV and those guys write checks as if they pissed it out of them. I think you'll faint if you hear one of my quotes. Plus if I wanted to my plate is full. But "money talks!"

The best advice is for you to soak up all of the knowledge that is free. Practice, Practice and more Practice. Better yet if you can aford about $500 to $3,000 you can take a web designing course. It will show you how to go about from the designing principles to setting up your own website.

Or you can get a dummies book (no pun intended, that's how I started out with) and even any other do it yourself website book. There are tons of them.

I have a book that has helped me to able to structure music files on a website. Although it takes you through the basic HTML, (it took half the book for me to get to the section I was truly interested in, the rest I've already have known) but I think it's a great step for you.

It will at the very least get you started. The book is called "Creating a Music Website" ISBN 1-870775-72-4. You can find it on Amazon.com. Buy it used if it saves you some bucks. It's thin read and it will get you up to speed.

Last bit of hopefull news. See if you can find a Highschool kid who is studying how to build websites and see if he can help with your quest. They are more than happy to do it as a project for thier portfolio. It could work out for you on the cheap. And throw the kid a couple of bucks his way, it will definatly motivate him.

Phew, that was a mouthfull. Good Luck!

Posted Mon 02 Jun 03 @ 12:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)