Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Is atomixmp3 bogus like this guy says?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Read this on another forum. He does not mention Atomixmp3, but I know that is what was used to make the mix. There was a positive remark about the mix and this one. I want to buy atomixm3 but is what he is saying really true? Can you tell if someone is using it?

http://www.mercuryserver.com/digweed/board/viewtopic.php?t=4029

"here's my 2 cents on your mix, bro...

first, the set obviously was done on a computer through a mixing program and not live .. which i guess is fine ... but youre not going to get a whole lot of respect on this board when u do mixes on a computer ..

you downloaded the songs u used cuz each song sounds like it was put through a different equalizer... tisk tisk

dont be so quick to fade the songs out .. your transitions are too short, and you're not hitting your beats together at ALL... it's like freakin train-wreck central.

if you ARE going to use a computer mixing program, for god's sake, please make sure the Auto-Level & Auto-Pitch are OFF - it fucks with the sound big time

keep practicing and no doubt you'll get better...but do it with real tables and real vinyl .. it's much more fun "

Posted Sat 12 Apr 03 @ 10:31 am
Guess this guy was correct this program must be lame if no one will defend it.

Thanks

Posted Tue 15 Apr 03 @ 6:04 pm
we dont have to defend it! we know its good! surely as a demo user you know that?

Posted Tue 15 Apr 03 @ 7:16 pm

Obviously the guy doesnt know a shit about this program cause this program is used ONLY for LIVE mixing.
Second,i didnt hear the mix maybe its sounds like shit like the guy says...but its not matter of the program.There are a lot of persons called themselves "Djs" but they are totally deaf!

Cj-Dimitris.T
you can d/l my mixes made with atomix here:
http://cj-dimitrist.tripod.com/
And then you can judze if the program sucks or not.

Posted Tue 15 Apr 03 @ 10:01 pm
How do people react when you tell them you use Atomixmp3 instead of live mixing? Is it really cheating using these programs?

Is the Auto-Level & Auto-Pitch that bad? Does it really mess with the sound?

Posted Wed 16 Apr 03 @ 1:56 am

Posted Wed 16 Apr 03 @ 1:57 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
RobertReader, let's put it this way... When you're at a club to listen to music, would you have more respect for a DJ who is spinning on vinyl and doing beatmatching by ear with flawless techniques. Or, would you have more respect for a DJ who presses the autosync button and alligns the waveforms?
If I go to a club and a DJ is using software with auto beatmatching, he better show me some tricks and some kind of live effects and remixing because those are the advantages of using software.
Vinyl and Software mixing are totally different approaches to DJing, and it's your choice which one you want to take. That's one of the reasons why I don't think software should in any way try to immitate a vinyl or CD player.

Posted Wed 16 Apr 03 @ 6:05 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
depens what music you spin.
For instance a dj that does a set of constant four four house and just uses the auto beat match and then fades between tracks is a bit weak even a child could do that.

However, its all about craetivity a dj that mixes the same style all 4 4 house but is craetive with the chopping up of the tunes and with the way they bring the tracks together they can be much more talented than your thousands of vinyl djs who mix house.

What im trying to say is that there are ten a penny vinyl djs who reckon they can mix but all they do is beat match then fade in fade out, only the very best make it. With atomixmp3 you have the freedom to let your creativity run wild just check out some of the members mixes to hear what can be done. Also give most of us a couple of hours with some funky house tracks and some decks and I reckon we could out perform most vinyl djs anyway.

If you want to make atomix harder for yourself and see if you could mix vinyl just pick a skin that removes the waveforms, we have all done it, mixing is still no problem.

Posted Wed 16 Apr 03 @ 6:20 pm
Sometimes one press of an button is not enough. Two beats can be perfectly aligned in the rhythm-window, but not sound as if they are. I use the rhythm window to get the two songs roughly alligned and then use nudging and finetuning the pitch while listening to get them perfectly beatmatched. I believe that too many people rely too heavily on the visual-features of Atomixmp3 (funny... ...comming from a skinner). And looping is the best feature with DJ-SW. It is almost essential in my mixing.

When I'm in a club... I don't care what a DJ uses to mix the songs.... only what songs he is mixing. But I must admit that a DJ that spins vinyl require more skills and practice.... but that doesn't make him a better DJ than those who use computers. Vinyl IS slowly dying... dhuuu!!! How many vinyl-shops are still around? Now you have to order them if you want new music unless you want some old Jimi Hendrix album in a pawn-shop.
I look at turntables as I look at typewriters... people may still use them and I'm as impressed by how they manage to type without mistakes and how they have the patience to type it all again if they make mistakes. That's why we now use computers and wordprocessors to do our writing. And if people see a person using a typewriter they ask why he/she is doing it the hard and old-fashioned way. I know that some of you disagree with me on this... but this is how I feel about turntables... it's more tedious and inefficient. This is the future of mixing... why fight it by trying to glorify something that is making something harder than it has to be...

I'm in it for the music and making it sound good... what's wrong with that. I just hate hearing from those guys who think Vinyl is the only way to go... if one wants respect as a DJ. I simply don't want to use a typewriter.

Peace.

- Jim

Posted Wed 16 Apr 03 @ 7:55 pm
"Vinyl and Software mixing are totally different approaches to DJing, and it's your choice which one you want to take. That's one of the reasons why I don't think software should in any way try to immitate a vinyl or CD player."

I agree 100% thats why we are Cjs and not djs

"What im trying to say is that there are ten a penny vinyl djs who reckon they can mix but all they do is beat match then fade in fade out, only the very best make it. With atomixmp3 you have the freedom to let your creativity run wild "

This is correct!

I have to ad that the point is the outcome not how you do it.If you are making an amazing set why you care how you make it? Its mater of sound.Not to talk about the "mixed cds" that are selling "big" jockeys that are made with the help of cubase and some wave editors... i produce a cd and i know what is going on:)

Posted Fri 18 Apr 03 @ 1:25 am
leahcimHome userMember since 2005
Just think of all the old 50's 60's funk and jazz, etc. you could never find on vinyl (or maybe die trying). I've found tracks on mp3 that NO ONE new existed. (Except maybe AM radio listeners.) :)

Posted Thu 05 May 05 @ 6:59 am
i would also like to add that with every week that goes by i am adding to my collection of tunes and ripping them into mp3s...i now have over 20,000 tunes that i carry into a gig in one hand...thats more tunes than some radio stations had in the good ole vinyl days...try carrying in lets say....20 songs to an album times 1000 = 20,000 tunes...thats 1,000 albums i carry into a gig with one hand....the object of a cj-dj is to please the the people who hired you...and with 20,000 tunes there is not very many requests that you can not fill....not to mention my back....i don't even want to go there..milk crates full of albums...you can have it....not only that..with a bit of work you can make a mix with atomix that is equal if not better than anything you can do with cubase,sonic foundry or any of the other so called " studio " programs out there...i enjoy seeing people have fun and knowing its because of me...atomix gives me far more time to savor the enjoyment

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 12:16 pm
RobertReader
1] How do people react when you tell them you use
Atomixmp3 instead of live mixing?
2] Is it really cheating using these programs?
3] Is the Auto-Level & Auto-Pitch that bad? Does it really
mess with the sound?

you asked 3 questions there and i will attempt to answer them.

1] most people react favourabley to atomixmp3...the ones
that don't are wanna-be jocks who think its about them
and not the customer.

2] of course its not cheating if your goal is to please the
customer. why are you there playing a gig? so you can
look cool and pick up chicks..or guys if thats the way you
swing..

3] the auto level and pitch are used for specific tasks...i
never use them at a gig...or while i record...maybe some
day i will but for now nope...the beat-match button i could
not live with-out. if you buy this program it will take you a
long time to reach the point whre you stop learning with it.
i hope you buy it and learn with it...its truely an AWESOME
program and even after 2 yrs i still use it every day

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 12:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)