Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Choose Decoder for Atomix..

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,

I have just checked out Visual Disco Mix and have to say that there are a good range of options to use on it. Some that i wish atomix had!!

One particular option that you are able to change is the decoder for which it plays mp3 on. Why cant atomix do this?? Instead of using the xaudio mpeg engine??

Dark Storm

Posted Sat 01 Mar 03 @ 5:19 pm
Rodie83Home userMember since 2001
That's a good issue, but i guess Atomixmp3's functions and possibilities are build on the xaudio decoder. If they choose another decoder it is very likely they will have to rewrite the program from scratch. However, it would be great to just use the fraunhofer decoder. I personally have more confidence in fraunhofer if compared with xaudio...

Roderick

Posted Sun 02 Mar 03 @ 4:40 pm
LAME is the best, hands down (Where's Grimm when you need him?)

That functionality would be redundant. What's the point of having others to choose from if LAME is the best.

Posted Sun 02 Mar 03 @ 11:04 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
ASIO support is what any professional mixing program should have. LAME is an MP3 encoder.

Posted Mon 03 Mar 03 @ 12:19 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Its also a decoder, with much better quality then XAudio, and still usuable without needing a license fee. Plenty of freeware, shareware, and commercial programs use the LAME codec. The teamers sould take a look at LAMEs license and see if they can make it part of Atomix, which I believe would be possible without giving up an arm, a leg, and thier first born like Fraunhofer would require. Not to mention a per copy fee for every copy of Atomix sold.

But your right, ASIO support sould be added. But if the quality isn't there to begin with, why bother?

Grimm

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 12:44 am
What exactly is ASIO ?

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 3:10 am
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
ASIO is a driver which lets the software communicate directly whith the hardware on your sound card. You get much lower latency and better audio quality.

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 7:53 am
good explanation abnorm. i too was wondering what the heck ASIO was. perhaps ASIO in v 3.0?

phatty720
dave

Posted Tue 04 Mar 03 @ 3:46 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)