Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Any progress on the idea of having a waveform view of the whole track ??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know this idea has been discussed and i myself brought it up several times but i was wondering if any actual development has been given to the idea ?

if you dont know what i mean, basically just a window, perhaps where the track info is that shows a picture of the track as a whole as a waveform with a cursor moving along it so that its instantly visable to see when a break in the beat is coming up. Its nice having the zoomed in view for beatmatching, but that only gives you a few seconds notice before the beat drops out on a track. I think it would be nice to be able to look while mixing and see that theres say 45 seconds til a vocal break, or vise versa, the beat will kick back in in 30 seconds etc

if anyone on the team is intrested i could do some sketches of exactly what i mean and how i think it would be best displayed etc

Posted Wed 12 Feb 03 @ 8:07 pm
Rodie83Home userMember since 2001
it won't work, the graet thing of atomix is that the waveform flow. why would you want to see the full track in waveform. a dj knows his songs!

Posted Thu 13 Feb 03 @ 11:29 pm
Slash4PRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree with Rodie.... When you're on 2 MK2, you just have to know your tracks... lol Just feel the music... To see the entire track is breaking the magic...

Slash

Posted Thu 13 Feb 03 @ 11:39 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
true, a good dj can control the mix and not have the mix control you. Its like driving a car. No matter what comes up in front of you you should be in full control to deal with it. LOL

Posted Thu 13 Feb 03 @ 11:41 pm
yes it is true as a dj you should be familar with the track you are mixing, however i feel that having an additonal view of the total waveform in addition to the zoomed in view. With vinyl you can visually tell to a degree when the track is going to change as the grooves will look a bit different.

really the point of atomix is not to make a dj system that lets you only do what you can do on turntables but to enhance whats possible as a dj. There is no on the fly looping on a turntable either but its great to have the option on the atomix deck im sure everyone would agree.

I cant see how anyone would think it useless to know that you have per say, 20 more seconds til that atmospheric break in the middle of the track is going to be over. Its just as useful as having that zoomed in view when beatmatching, you can do it by ear alone, but having a visual and audio combination makes for even better mixing sync and quickness

Posted Fri 14 Feb 03 @ 12:05 am
True... but as far as i'm concerned... I think that with such a tool, the Atomix Dj will have nothing left to do...

When I mix in parties everyone already believe that I don't work at all, I always ear people say "Easy, your computer does all the hard stuff"... Please don't let them be right...

Posted Fri 14 Feb 03 @ 12:16 am
People have always had some deep fear of technology though. When drum machines first became popular, lots of people said that they were making music to easy and real drumming way better cuz it was harder. Now thast just an example but its happened with everything, samplers, "labor saving devices" as they used to say in the olden days.

To not advance mixing technology due to the fact that turntable dj's say its not enough work is stupid. Due to the fact that alot of times i can sync to tracks up within a few seconds of loading it, i can do other things such as creative use of swapping kill frequencies, adding fx, mixing in and out of tracks at a fast rate. A vinyl dj needs to take alot longer to cue up a record so they are spending their time differently.

Id ultimatly like to have alot more fx, a third deck etc to atomix. take it far away from what you can do with just two turntables. Make it easy to perform 3 deck djing so that i can focus on creative and unheard of mixes, use tracks in new ways etc. Not just having a way to make the stereotypical play a whole track, mix into the next track, let it play, mix into the next easier

Posted Fri 14 Feb 03 @ 1:24 am
Yes, we spend more time to develop the artistic way of the mix... In one hand I've to give you reason. Anyway, if theses functionnalities are included in Atomix, everybody's free to use it... or not. Personnaly I don't use any automation like beatmagic or automix/autobeatmatch. I prefer to use my ear and the visual wave to sync my tracks. But I'm addicted to cues, loops and effects. The third deck is in my mind since a while too ;-)

It's not a bad idea you have... but I'll personnaly don't use it because for me, it's another kind of beatmagic or so, and I don't want to be dependant of it.

Slash

Posted Fri 14 Feb 03 @ 10:27 am
Why anonymous ? lol It was me just above...

Slash

Posted Fri 14 Feb 03 @ 10:30 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)