Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Turntable Spinback - A Question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

My turntable spinback effect is about ready.

In fact, it is ready apart from the speedcurve I need to apply to have a close-to-real effect.

Hence, does anyone have knowledge about the typical speedcurve I would need to apply ?
I.e. what is the reverse speed at the start of the spinback? How many times the 'normal' speed at which you play a record ?
And what is the type of decline I need to apply (linear or quadratic) ?

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

PS : if I'm talking chinese here, I appologize

Posted Tue 26 Nov 02 @ 10:50 pm
I'm a new user member...
...DJ Corpse you seem to be "The Man"!

Any thought or definative answer to VU meters for AtomixMP3?

Sorry to change the subject.

Love using AtomixMP3! (and I'm a former Top40 70's Radio DJ)

Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed 27 Nov 02 @ 1:57 am
YodaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
How about having the spinback speed as a slider like the brake & swirl up effect. Just an idea. That way you can please everyone.

Posted Thu 28 Nov 02 @ 11:19 am
SyfoonHome userMember since 2001
Seems like double dutch to me :(

If, by spinback, you mean the classic Drum & Bass style spinback, so beloved by crowds like at Slammin' Vinyl etc etc, all I know is... uhm... times...

... I'm useless...

I'll say it anyway, I think they spin it back about 6/7 times the forward spin... I think thats what you mean, tends to wind down a couple of mins in a few seconds (but, some just pull it back, and hold the record ;))

If this isn't whatcha mean, I've made myself look stupid... again :)

I'd say maybe add a lil thingy (I'm so descriptive) to control the speed/time

Posted Thu 28 Nov 02 @ 12:34 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
I'm quite good at maths and physics (still at school...) and I got into sound and DSP for a while too, so I can't complain about my knowledge of such things (especially the math parts of sinusoids and co, THX DD (my math teacher of last year)!!!).
You can calculate this, as long as you have a turntable connected to your pc (if you want to do it really very well).
If you need any assistance on this, don't hesitate to contact me ;)

Greetz, Ikke

Posted Fri 29 Nov 02 @ 7:36 pm
I'm rather good at maths myself ;-) , but thanks for the offer.

I guess I will videotape the application of the effect on real turntables, mark the vinyl with some reference points, and then determine the speed values by determining the relative movement (compared to 0% pitching) between several measure points.

Should do the trick.

Then analyse the data to determine the speed angles, and encode those in the effect.

Rgds,

DJ Corpse

Posted Sun 01 Dec 02 @ 3:00 pm
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Can't you just do the effect yourself on a real turntable? Run the record at 100% pitch and record onto your PC. Then, record yourself doing a spin back effect on the record. Take the spin back recording, and reverse the audio file, then compare it to the original. It wont be exact, but it will be real life data.

Also, I think the idea of sliders to adjust the rate would be much better then trying to cater to just one or two music styles.

Grimm

Posted Sun 01 Dec 02 @ 10:34 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
You can do it with a video, but you'll still have a sort of latency of 1/25 seconds or something...
Grimm: what you wrote is exactly what I tought of, I only implemented the compare routine too (which is in fact the most difficult part of the whole process...)

Greetz, Ikke

Posted Mon 02 Dec 02 @ 3:28 pm
Either way.. the new effect-plugins are VERY nice!
No noticeable static or anything and I found some interesting uses for Flippin Doubles right away.. :)

All hail DJ Corpse! :)
ikke & co aren't that bad either :)

Posted Tue 03 Dec 02 @ 3:11 pm
FarofaHome userMember since 2002
haaaaaaaa

Posted Wed 04 Dec 02 @ 3:52 am
where can i found more plug-ins? (MC Dilla Killa)

Posted Mon 23 Dec 02 @ 8:40 am
arvyControlleristMember since 2003
(trying to write and be clear in english...)

Corpse, I'm not sure about the correct speed... I think that it's not fixed but depends on the kind of song the DJ plays. I'm a dance/techno DJ, sometimes my spinbacks starts in speed +- 200% (means, in a 132 BPM song, a reverse sound something near 264 BPM) until +- 110% over 4 beats. In other cases, a spinback stars in +- 150% to +- 110% over 2 beats. It's hard to explain because only when I'm DJing, in THAT moment, with the two songs playing, I know how to spinback, because I can *imagine* the final result :)

But I'm sure that the sound is NOT linear, just think you putting your hands in a vynil, in a Technics 1200 MK II, and spinning it very fast. There are attrition between the vynil and the machine, so, it will speed down fast.

I like the idea to do the spinback plugin like the Turntable Break pluging, with sliders: 1) start velocity (100% to 200%?), 2) end velocity (100% to 0%) and 3) how many beats (1 to 4?)

So, people, post your oppinions.

DJ Arvy

Posted Tue 24 Dec 02 @ 12:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)