Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: mixing commercial

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

davidvaHome userMember since 2002
What other techniques do you guys use for mixing commercial tracks (+- 3 minutes)?
I use cuts, fading, and occasionaly a scratch (sample).

I have tried looping once, but there aren't any good points to loop really (continious melody) or the looping is to short to fully "catch" the melody.

I'm asking this because I am trying to mix a cd for a friend of mine...and I am tired of doing the same method over and over again

Posted Sun 11 Aug 02 @ 1:15 am
dj2nvHome userMember since 2004
depending on the style, usually house-top40 i can loop the beat at the end, then usually quite quickly crossfade between them and also usin the EQ's on my mixer...

.::DJ Ben Jammin::.

Posted Mon 12 Aug 02 @ 4:06 am
The simplest way is to add a few vocal samples during the mix. Also when you have got the beats sync'd you could drop the 2 beats of the new song and then back for 2 beats, back for one and back for one again...then crossfade and use the brake effect on the old track.

Just an idea...

Laytah!

Posted Mon 12 Aug 02 @ 5:22 am
loop +4 the first part and play it without bass and middle just the treble and put it slowly when you are ready close middle of the other song and at the same time put midle of your song and unloop (use shortcuts for that) when you are ready change tha base also in the same way

Posted Wed 28 Aug 02 @ 12:07 am
i like to find songs that mix together so well, that with still 2 minutes left to play, the next song is already fading in or popping in at breakdown. The one song, played for 1-2 minutes, the second song played at the same time for 1-2 minutes then the second played alone for 1-2 minutes. Seems like 3 songs, or one continuous, my favorite, but difficult. You must really pay attention to the structure of the song, you can even get two sets of vocals to compliment eachother...

Posted Sat 14 Sep 02 @ 12:08 am
dimitris' style is very much like mine: I use the EQ-crossfaders alot and tend to bring in the treble only or treble and mids for the coming song very early on and play around with that in the background and if there's a bass-less section in the playing song (=buildup-section) I sometimes pump in a few bass-beats from the coming track by righclicking in the EQ-crossfader just to give the buildup a little help....
..then as the playing song is about to end I release the loop and start to make the fade towards the next one by adding more and more of the new song on the EQ-crossfaders and finally slide over the main crossfader to make the played song disappear SOFTLY and not just disappear in a sudden silence.

I recommend a visit to www.yulia-nau.de , it's not my work but it's certainly my style even though she misses out every now and then on the mixing technique (see the caps' above and here how she screws up on that african song on the musicpage)

Posted Wed 25 Sep 02 @ 10:54 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)