Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: How long should i mix for?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

How long should i spend mixing 2 songs together?
I usually don't spend more than 30 secs in mixing them.
I try to avoid using the loops because i like to hear the beat breaking down near the end of the song.
I also have the problem of songs being to long some of them go on for about 9mins.
Just wondering how other people mix

Posted Sun 30 Jun 02 @ 6:26 pm
depends on how good it sounds...you can play around with the bass, mediums and highs of both tracks...creating different sounds in the mix....i try to keep my mixes under 2 minutes...and at least 30 seconds...if its at least 30 seconds the transitiion isnt as noticible, and can be felt more as just a changup in the song.

Posted Mon 01 Jul 02 @ 6:38 am
Glad you mentioned that coz i also have the same problem.
Can anyone help?

Posted Mon 01 Jul 02 @ 10:25 am
davidvaHome userMember since 2002
yeah, me to!!
plz someone help...

I have tried playing with the high and the lows, but the mix stills sounds screwed up... If i go below 30 seconds it sounds good.
Above.... :total chaos (just the bass sounds good)

Posted Mon 01 Jul 02 @ 5:18 pm
Sometimes I mix some tech-house for about 1.30 minutes. It's a shame that Atomix doesn't have a thirth deck, that whay I could always mix 2 songs together.

YDC

Posted Tue 02 Jul 02 @ 8:13 pm
My strategy is this: I won't mix the new track in until I feel that the playing track has entered its closing phrases in other words right after the climax. If you go before then you might have the new track entering a chorus or a climax while the old track is doing the same thing. Sometimes a good way to tell is starting the mix at the beginning or end of a breakdown or some other indicator that the track is coming to a close. For the looooong tracks such as progressive trance, you can mix for as long as five minutes if the phrases are really repetitive. Hell you sometimes cant tell if the DJ is even mixing with those trippy acid trance tunes.

Posted Wed 03 Jul 02 @ 3:24 am
If you use songs that are around 4 minutes you are on a tight schedule so you can't go beyond 30 seconds without mixing trough the climax of the song...

Even songs that last six minutes you can only mix about a minute...

Songs longer then six you can mix for about two minutes or three...

I like to keep my mixes short, occasionaly trowhing in a long one for the mood...

Posted Wed 03 Jul 02 @ 8:54 pm
It all depends on what's in your playlist really.. a 5 minute clubmix can be looped either by the loopbuttons or the cue-points to make a pretty good, mixable beat to bring in ever so slightly.. I played around with 2 5-minute tracks for like 20 minutes the other day and it sounded fairly well.. I didn't change tracks until I was completely fed up with the vocals on one of the tracks (Brooklyn Bounce - The bass, the beat, the melody :O)

But if you just want to change tracks and aren't that interested in creative mixing then 30-60 seconds will probably do just fine :o)

Posted Mon 08 Jul 02 @ 1:54 pm
I personally like to be mixing most of the time. I'll leave the secondary track running for an almost ambience. It gives the primary track a little more depth. I leave the levels down so low that you wouldn't consciously notice. It's just a neat effect.

Posted Tue 09 Jul 02 @ 10:20 am
Brian CHome userMember since 2001
I also like to mix for as long as possible, I find that shorter length tracks with little intro can be looped to allow time to mix it in before it builds up too much. I've found that looping on the first beat of the 8 bar sequence doesn't always sound good because of cymbal clashes etc.

I tend to do an 8 beat loop between beats 17 & 18, this allows me time to swop bass lines over or whatever then release the loop as the first track begins to break down (releasing the loop between beat 18 & 25 to keep the 8 bar sequences flowing).

I sometimes loop the outgoing track the same way to avoid the first track ending mid mix which can also sound terrible.

Posted Wed 10 Jul 02 @ 11:11 am
davidvaHome userMember since 2002
Thanx Brian C
THAT was the answer I have been looking for, since most songs that I have on cd are DJ UNFRIENDLY (alot of melody from beginning to the end).

Nice to read some real tips in here... ;)

Posted Wed 10 Jul 02 @ 9:03 pm
its simple you mix as long as the song can do it the new song have to start with clear base usually situated after the first 2 min in a 8-9min song so you have to mix all that 2 min.
personaly i like long mixes of 3-4min because most of my songs are 9-11 min

Posted Wed 28 Aug 02 @ 12:25 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)