Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: mixing freestyle and hip-=hop

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
Is anybody mixing these two types of music with atomix? If so, do you use an external mixer, do you use the beat sync button or ??????? Thanx.

Posted Sun 24 Mar 02 @ 9:30 pm
Well freestyle is between 120-135 BPM and Hip-Hop is around 80-100 BPM. When you are mixing songs of different genres, you shouldn't mix songs that have a difference of 15 bpm or greater. Especially when there are vocals (it sound like chip-munks). And anytime when you are dealing with music with "inconsistent" beats (i.e hip-hop, freestyle), never use the beat sync button ! That is only good for house/trance/etc.

Anyway, I play that kind of stuff all the time using my external mixer. I use the my mixer just as I would using the faders and EQ's in Atomix. It some situations, it is not a good idea to "mix" to genre's (or any music that differs in BPM)together. I will:

- Use the turntable brake, and play the next song just a second before the music cuts out

- Just do a straight cut into the next piece of music

- Use the hold feature and attempt to "scratch" the second one in (if the next track is a hip-hop one)

- Make sure the beats are match and "mix" them together .... but when I move the crossfader completely to the next track, I will but the pitch back to 100%

- In live performances, when the one genre of music ends, have the MC (if applicable) or DJ saying something over the mic, and then introduce the next genre - this is how they do it over here

I hope this is of any help .... If you want, I am in the chat often ... and will be more than glad to help !

Dave !

Posted Sun 24 Mar 02 @ 10:51 pm
Thanks Dave. Which chat and where? Would like to chat a bit.

Posted Mon 25 Mar 02 @ 4:49 pm
I will probably be on tonight at around 9PM (Eastern Time) !

Posted Mon 25 Mar 02 @ 8:14 pm
Where is the chat Dave?

Posted Tue 26 Mar 02 @ 4:08 pm
When you have signed in ... go the page where it lists all the forums. Right above the forum room listing, you will see "Click her for online chat". That will take you right to the chat page.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 02 @ 5:04 pm
Thanks, never knew that was there.........duh!

Posted Tue 26 Mar 02 @ 8:02 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)