Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: To Those who skin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Would you mind sharing some tips to making skins I've tried to make several on my own but they never work correctly. So how about a little skin help.

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 7:09 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
First I will advise to you to modify an existing skin which is already written, before creating your own skin. Try to move a button, two, a slider, etc...

You have to be VERY precise in the numbers of the xml.

Me I strictly ONLY use paint for the bmp, notepad for the xml. With this two windows tools you can make all you want.

What you mean by "the skin I made dosn't work". What doesn't want to work?

FRUiT94

Posted Mon 22 Dec 03 @ 11:56 pm
he probably hasnt got precise values in the xml, when i tried making skins i found it difficult.

Posted Tue 23 Dec 03 @ 11:33 am
With Paint you can easily (in the taskbar of the window) find the dims of your buttons (width & height): juste choose the selection box mode and make a selection area around your button. A this point DON'T RELEASE the mouse button: you can read the width and the height of it in the taskbar (you may have to show it through the 'view' menu). Then you put your mouse on the left up corner of the button to get the x & y axis.

You just have to report the found values in the xml file. It's a bit boring but it can be very precise if you choose a good zoom value. That's what I always do and it works properly. You do NOT have to estimate the size of the elements it is told by paint.

Good luck
FRUiT94

Posted Tue 23 Dec 03 @ 12:54 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Fruit

I was using paintshop pro to try and change the color of one of the skins. When I switch I get an xml error in line 0... I'll try your suggestion with using paint and see what I come up with. thanks

Posted Tue 23 Dec 03 @ 6:17 pm
If you just modified the bmp file, this error can't appear. It seems you modified a small part of the xml too: maybe you erased a " or a > somewhere.

Exercise: open paint (or else if you prefer), take a button and move it in another empty place on the skin, then you try to get the ordinate values of it. Put these values in the xml at the right place and see the result. My advice is to spend time for it, try more and more and you'll finally get it.

The "0" error happens to me too, I'm not a machine I just forgot a small character, which is very hard to localize. So I save my xml files VERY frequently when working. When I get the error, I just recover the last working update.

In paint: draw a selection area and WITHOUT releasing the mouse, look at the bottom of the window in the bar under the colorpalette: it tells you the width and the height of the box you are still drawing. You can size all the elements of the skin and just report the values you saw.

FRUiT94

Posted Wed 24 Dec 03 @ 12:09 am
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks Fruit. I find your help very interesting..

Posted Tue 06 Jan 04 @ 10:07 pm
i have just completed my skin and found it helpful! :)

thanks!

Posted Wed 07 Jan 04 @ 1:04 am
Thx gees for the feedback I'm a bit proud I could help you. Sometimes I doubt my english is clear, but it seems the message has been understoud.

Dj Walkers:
Miam miam I hope your skin will be avalaible soon as you said. The CDJ1000 is a really good deck, dark, as my eyes like, it will be usefull I'm pretty sure.

FRUiT94

Posted Wed 07 Jan 04 @ 1:29 am
Oh thank you! miam miam!

Posted Wed 07 Jan 04 @ 1:35 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)