Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Monitor Mix w/headfones w/ 1 soundcard?????

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it possible to monitor the mix with headphones while using just one sound card? Please email me Jimi at bigdoger@adelphia.net with the details....need help!
Thanks!

Jimi

Posted Sat 07 Jul 01 @ 12:12 pm
You really need a 3d soundcard or two soundcards to truly monitor the next track. You can still mix music w/ one soundcard though. You just have to do it visually with the beat monitor at the top of the screen.

Posted Sat 07 Jul 01 @ 2:17 pm
corePRO InfinityMember since 2003
Your audio out jack is a stereo output. Essentially all you need to do, is split the output into two separate channels, one of which will be active, and the other one could be used for PFL.
The configuration in Atomix sound config should be as follows: in the left pane, select ONE sound card, and in the right pane, select a speaker+phones icon, or the mixer, if you use one. When configured this way, atomix plays each deck in mono, so if you connect a stereo headphones to your audio out, and put the crossfader in the middle, you will hear one track playing in your right ear, and another one in your left.
Your audio out is a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack. A standard RCA-to-3.5mm has a 3.5mm mail connector on one end, and two mail connectors (black and red - left and right) on the other. Essentially, black plays your A deck, and red plays your B deck (or vice versa).
Most amplifiers, like mixers or stereo systems, have RCA female inputs. There are usually two connectors for each channel, but apparently if you connect only one connector, the system automatically converts the feed to stereo and sends it to all speakers. However, there are cords available on the market that allow you to split one RCA mail into two. Eventually you get 3.5 mm that connects to your laptop, and on the other end one black and one red, each of which you connect to a SEPARATE channel on the mixer. The black and red can be optionally split into two pairs.
If you use a mixer it's easy. When I go to a party, I have only my laptop, and a simple RCA-to-3.5mm cord, and nothing else. I used to have an additional USB sound card, but it had terrible sound and was out of sync with my primary card, besides, it made the whole system a bit bulky and difficult to set up.
If you don't have a mixer, it's a bit more complicated. after you connect the black RCA to an amplifier and a speaker system, the red RCA has to be somehow fed into the headphones. After a couple of hours of shopping in electronics stores, I've found a set of connectors which converts a mono mail RCA into a stereo female 3.5mm, where I could plug my headphones.
If you use one soundcard your minimal investment could be as low as 2 dollars for an RCA cord. If you buy an additional USB soundcard, it'll cost you at least sixty bucks, plus shipping.
Pros:
Cheap, easy to set up, same sound quality and level on both channels.
Cons:
The sound is mono.
As far as I understand, when atomix is used in such a configuration, it does not mutilate the track by playing only the left or only the right part of it, but somehow converts stereo to mono without losing any sound. When used in a club, people won't ever notice the difference because the speakers are too far apart from each other. Besides, this is exactly the reason why most of the mixers are mono.
HTH

Posted Sun 08 Jul 01 @ 7:56 am
whew.........Thats a mouthful. My second soundcard was twenty five bucks.(soundblaster pci128). Easy to set up and sounds great. Plus my sound is in stereo. Which I need because I like to make mixes and burn them to Cd. Also if u r playing out live with people spinning vinyl before and after your set, there will be a noticable decline in sound quality when you go on. If you were the only one playing, then I would have to agree that no one would notice. But I believe that people would notice if others spin their sets before you. I recomend doing it the right way with no shortcuts.

Posted Sun 08 Jul 01 @ 3:01 pm
People ARE playing CDs before and after I go up.
The mixer is mono anyway.
No one has ever said anything to me regarding the sound quality, including the club owners.
Core.

Posted Mon 09 Jul 01 @ 12:18 pm
thats cool.....but why not spend the 30 dollars for a second soundcard and do it right. The plus is you can burn your own mixes to CD in stereo sound.

Posted Wed 11 Jul 01 @ 6:06 am
I have a laptop, which I use in clubs.
I use two cards at home.

Posted Thu 12 Jul 01 @ 8:47 pm
why didn't you say so. So you are making nice stereo mixes at home. Then you are mixing great sets out live with a laptop in mono. Thats cool. The best of both worlds. I need a laptop so I do not have to lug my PC around to live gigs.

Posted Thu 12 Jul 01 @ 11:44 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
How do you people get gigs, anyways?
In a few years I'll be wanting to do that.... gimme some details! Maybe in a new post or something.

Posted Mon 16 Jul 01 @ 11:45 pm
Why can't it just work with my SBLive's second output (its a four-channel card dammit!!!) PCDJ Silver/Blue/Red works fine this way...

Posted Sat 21 Jul 01 @ 9:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)