Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Problem with a WAV file -- not an AtomixMP3 prob!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I made a record of a performance at a club. Suddenly the power was gone for 2 sec and my PC crashed! Now I have a 2,1GB WAV file with a great mix, but I can´t open it because it wasn´t finished while the computer shot down.

I tried several programs as Goldwave, Acoustica, Anvil etc., but none of them opened the file. To encode it to MP3 also doesn´t work.

If anybody could please help me!!!

Thx a lot in advance
mama

Posted Fri 08 Jun 01 @ 11:25 pm
djskeetHome userMember since 2005
try to play it with winamp
then use the disk writer plug in to copy it to another wave

Posted Sat 09 Jun 01 @ 11:04 pm
look to the german forum ;-)

Posted Sun 10 Jun 01 @ 12:42 am
Good idea, but it doesn´t work. Winamp shows an error message called "Waveform-audio file has no "FMT" chunk.

Other ideas?

Desruptor: It´s not a problem of the file size! 2.1GB are supported by these progs.

mama

Posted Sun 10 Jun 01 @ 11:24 am
FMT short for "Format" ? the file header might be corrupt

maybe you should look into antother wav file (with notepad), copy the file header onto your 2.1 G file, and play...
of course, this will take very long (opening a 2.1 G file in notepad is eh... :-)

Posted Sun 10 Jun 01 @ 1:22 pm
a question...
do u work with win98 or win 2000 ? cause win 95/98/ME can't handle ANY file bigger than 2 Gb ! win 2000 and win nt can...

and i think linux , beos, unix can too...

Posted Sun 10 Jun 01 @ 1:27 pm
Ok, I think, I´ve found a solution.

The fmt chunk is the file information header of the wav. Because of the crash, ít isn´t right. So I downloaded a hex-editor, opened the wav, calculated the correct hex value for the length of the wav at the lengt-8 and lenght-46 value, corrected the value and now, I´m saving the result to the HDD.

It´s a bit hard to open and save a 2,1GB file, but with W2k, I´m a least able to open it at all.

Thx all for your help, I´ll post the result here soon (I hope).

mama

Posted Sun 10 Jun 01 @ 1:58 pm
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Actually, Win98se (and I think all Win98 and up versions) can handle files sizes up to 4gb. But not all programs support files sizes over 2gb because they may have been made under a Win95 environment. Win2k can handle any file size. But again, if you use a program that cant... ;)
Mama - You are correct in the header file being "bad" or incorrect. Wav files require that the header and complete wav be available. But there may be a program that lets you listen to a "streamed" wav, just as if you were in the process of downloading it. But I dont think any of them will let you save a parcial wav file. You may be able to use a program like Cool Edit, and use the 'Open As' option, and try to use a Raw method of opening the file. You then just put in the file attributes (Hz, bits, and stereo or mono) and it sould open up the file.

Posted Tue 19 Jun 01 @ 5:34 pm
Thanks all, I got it.

I edited the header of the wave, now it works fine! For editing big files, use UltraEdit.

:-))

mama

Posted Tue 19 Jun 01 @ 8:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)