Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Buffer entire song from CD

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Kudos to the team on version 2.0. This program is amazing - CD decks are obsolete and have been for the last year thanks to this program! :o) It just keeps getting better!

I prefer to mix on a laptop rather then a full sized PC. The upside besides the obvious of being more compact and quicker to set up is that laptops have a built in UPS - its called the BATTERY! Someone accidentally kicks the power cord out and I don't get embarrased waiting 2 minutes to reboot. The downside is that laptops are limited in their disk space - no 60 gig 2.5 inch drives - yet! ;o) As a result, a lot of my stuff is on CD-Rs

Suggestion - What I'd really like to see is the ability for the program to buffer entire files to hard disk off of CD. For instance, I insert a CD in the drive, select the cuts I want to play and drag them into my song list. When I do this, the entire files are copied to the hard disk into a temp directory. After I've played them I have the option to keep them on the hard drive, or delete them to make room for more songs.

Posted Wed 12 Dec 01 @ 6:42 am
or even better to mix realtime from cd's this is very easy to implement actually just read the raw data and pass it through to the dac of the soundcard.

the rate at wich this happens determines the speed of the music. not only will you be able to mix with cd's, it also will benefit the sound quality as the cdrom has time to reread bad sectors instead of solving the errors by use of the solomon ecc (as most cdroms now are 6 speed or higher instead of the 1 speed the solomon ecc was intended for)

and ofcourse you will be using the higher quality dac of your soundcard instead of the standard 12 bit dac of your cd-rom.

Posted Fri 14 Dec 01 @ 6:04 pm
if u want to know a bit more there is already a plugin for winamp wich makes it possible to mix with cd's.

Posted Fri 14 Dec 01 @ 6:04 pm
cdfs.vxd allows to read audio cd as .wav files on your atomix or any other..
limitation: only 1 track from one cd at once, dunno if looping works.. slower searchin etc.. may lag atomix a little and other small annoyances

Posted Sat 15 Dec 01 @ 1:53 am
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
I think he's right. Directly playing tracks from a cd, like in BPM Studio could a be very good function in a new update of the prog. You can't rip everything, certainly not while DJ'ing. I've got a lot of CD's, and I just can't rip them all. Also when you just bought a new cd before a gig, you don't always have the time to rip it.

Greetz, ikke

Posted Tue 18 Dec 01 @ 5:11 pm
I agree, it would be great to be able to put an audio Cd in my laptop's drive and use Atomix like a single CD deck to mix from. I know a lot of local producers who have CD's handy of their tunes on hand at a show, and the ability to play them immediately (instead of waiting for the song to rip to mp3) would be fantastic!

Posted Tue 18 Dec 01 @ 9:00 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Your computer even slows down a lot when you're ripping while you use Atomix. On my PC (ok, a P3 450, 256 meg RAM), it goes so slow, I can't even use Atomix at a good speed while ripping.

Greetz, ikke

Posted Wed 19 Dec 01 @ 4:26 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)