Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mixing, Breakbeat tracks and tips

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

atriusHome userMember since 2002
Hey .

Just wanted to go back to the roots and ask you this simple question anyone (I hope, this is pretty optimal) could answer - How do you mix from this one song, house/progressive mainly, to the other ? Whats your technique,your little tip that makes the transition so much better :

a. Do you shut down (EQ) the highes and lows and let the bass roll,then put the other song up ?

b. Do you reduce the volume level or the low frequency of the upcoming track so it wont be noticebale ?

c. How do you utilize the gain feature on Atomix for your convinience ?

d. Auto beat-matching for starter (before fine-tuning), do you pay attention the fourth/eigth/sixteenth beat is in sync in both songs before pressing play ?

d. etc. etc. - anything you could think of would be appreciated.

--

and to something more specific that is less important for me,yet important enough to bring it up as a question here in the Atomix forums - How do you make the transition from a breakbeat track to a regular one that it stills sound professional enough ? killing the bass is just not good enough ..

Again, any advice would be appreciated, and thanks in advance for your patience in reading this post .

Posted Sun 21 Apr 02 @ 3:28 am
Its nice to see someone showing interest !!!!!

A) & B) When fading the next track in .... I have the track coming in with its EQ normal ... As I am fading it in I decrease the bass on the track going out. But I do many variations of that. When there is a buildup (when the bass is gone and snare drums are progressing to the beat) right when the beat kicks in, I will kill the bass and just cue the next track without fading it in.

Play around with it and see what works best. But NEVER have both tracks going at the same time with regular bass, you don't want the bass frequencies to cancel eachother, also that will sound just too strong. With the mids and highs ..When it comes to mixing techno, I don't touch them. I play around with those more with Hip-Hop and R & B. And I never use the mids/Highs seperately ... If I do use them ... It's always used together.

C) I ALWAYS use the auto-gain in atomix, especially when using my external (Numark) mixer. The auto-gain in atomix is MORE reliable than my ears and the PFL meter on the mixer. But when using Auto-gain, MAKE SURE the tracks have been analyzed. When the tracks are, the gain level is precisely measured.

D) When I am cuing the next song, I always use the magic button, it gets it right on target 99% of the time, but thats only for techno, house, trance, etc. With music that has inc
inconsistent beats (like Hip-hop) I use the play button.

(I know the above answer wasn't the one you were looking for)

E) To have some really cool effects, create some keyboard shortcuts which cause the xfader to go leftmost and right most. Have the songs going in sync ... then do quick cuts back and forth a couple of measures.

Use the JN-Classic Skin .... this skin runs the fastest and is the most functional (especially for beginners).

Thats everything for now. Guys ... correct me if I am wrong on anything above.

Have fun with it ... Don't compare yourself to Carl Cox and Tiesto.

Posted Sun 21 Apr 02 @ 4:54 pm
atriusHome userMember since 2002
Thanks a bunch Trip_likeido, fairly appreciated .

In addition - how do you "nudge" (fine tuning) when the magic bottom is right only 99% ? I mean with Traktor you have small "nudge buttoms" that are equal to soft touches on the vinyl - How do you do that with Atomix ?

Secondly, when not using a mixer - is there any way to change the pitch manually, ie by entering numbers ?

-- If any of you have other tips or ways of mixing, and I'm sure anyone here on the forums has something to share, please do.

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 2:27 pm
Nudging is easy: use the left/right arrow-keys... you can do rough or (very) gentle nudges using ctrl or shift and the arrowkeys.

Pitchcontrol isn't something you do with a mixer at all, mixers handle output levels, equalization and such but have no control over the speed of the song.
Use the pitchslider (if it's smooth/big enough) or the numerical + and - keys ..Ctrl and Shift have the same effect here (rought or fine adjustments)

Trip's view on the use of equalizers is pretty sane and should be followed but if you will be going live (as in using highpower speaker-systems) keep in mind to use them moderately..
When I just mix by myself I can have the bass and mid EQ-crossfaders all the way over to one of the tracks and keep the highs from the other track (keeping the Crossfader somewhere near the center so both tracks are heard).. but that would probably sound like SHITE on a club-size speaker-setup since the difference between highs and lows is much greater than on any set of PC/home-speakers..

BUT.. I couldn't agree with him more on his last point:
Have fun.. play around.. eventually you will get better but there's no need to rush :)

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 4:42 pm
really nice tips you wrote there!!! but i didn't understand yet how i'm mixing hip-hop or break beat???!!!

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 4:43 pm
I haven't tried that out yet even though I kinda "grew up" with breakbeat around me... but I'd say trust your ears and nothing else.

Get the BPM by counting beats(/seconds) and don't trust the BPM-calculated by Atomix when dealing with that kind of music, and that goes for the "Magic button" too;
as said earlier, you should just line up the incoming track so that when you press play the first beat comes and then make sure you press play exactly when the beats match... no magic, just go on your gut feeling.

Just find the beat, stop the beat, drop the beat! ;o)

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 5:44 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Actually the magic button will work if you have manually edited the BPM of the song at 0.00 pitch accurately.... there's the catch... the manually entered BPM must be accurate.

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 6:55 pm
Now, many people have their own techniques, but all I want to say is

PRACTICE

i spend hours on atomix, jus practicing with different set-ups for different songs, and sometimes, using different styles of mixing not only keeps it fresh, but keeps you on top of different styles of the mix

Also, I do pay particular attention to the 8ths & 16ths when im mixing, it makes the mix sound that much... sweeter ; )

djdawson uk ; )

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 8:15 pm
I started out using atomix with NO knowledge of beatmatching and DJing techniques ....... its just a matter of playing around with it and mostly ...

LISTEN TO OTHER DJ'S PERFORMANCES AND LIVE-TO-AIRS .... listen to how they cue and mix the tunes ... that way you'll develop an ear for it.

Posted Mon 22 Apr 02 @ 9:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)