Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: win xp

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

do you know how can i set up the win xp with non dual boot option i don't wanna use any other os with it i just wanna use XP on my pc can it be setted up a formatted hdd?and if possible how can i do this?

Posted Wed 27 Feb 02 @ 2:19 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
If you have the "upgrade" version of win XP, you need the cd-rom of win 95 (that's not in the documentation, but it works: that was how I did it on my pc), a cd of win 98, win NT 4 or win 2k. First of all take backups of all your data and create a startup disk. Now turn of your PC, put the startup disk in you floppy drive, and start your PC. The dos prompt will apear (if you setted the right settings in the BIOS, so your computer can start up from a floppy). Type "format c:" to format you HD, always answer Yes and wait. When that's done, put the Win XP disc in your cd-rom player. Put your PC off, put the startup disk again in you floppy drive (if it isn't there anymore ;)), and restart your PC. You'll see the command prompt again. Press "d:" (where D is the drive letter of your CD Rom player) and wait. When you see "d:/" on the screen, type "setup" and press enter. Now the XP Setup will start. You'll be asked to put the disk of an older version of windows in your CD drive, do that if that's necessary (normally it'll be). Now just do what the XP setup tells you to do. Normally you willn't get that much problems.
There's just one thing you have to look after: before formatting your HD, get on the internet and download the XP drivers of all your hardware and put them on a CD-r!!! You can't use the Win 98 or ME drivers!!!

I hope this was clear,
Greetz, ikke

Posted Wed 27 Feb 02 @ 3:12 pm
I'm not sure to understand your question. Edit Boot.ini in c: drive. In the first line, type delay=0 and choise Winxp for os starter. try it, and tell-me if that start correctly

Posted Sun 03 Mar 02 @ 11:35 pm
to phenryll

i just want to setup win xp. shortly i don't want to setup it on to another os (win 98 me or 98se) because i haven't got so much space on my hdd

thanx for ur replies dj_scratch

Posted Mon 04 Mar 02 @ 2:31 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)