Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: USB sound solution

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

i use a sony VAIO laptop with a Roland UA30 USB sound module and a 30 gig firewire external hardrive... running into an external mixer w/ a dual numark CD and 1 turtable... and i bloody luv it

many reasons

the sony is only a 333 p2 but the hardware is solid, i have an 800 p3 gateway which always skips when i load a track into the opposite channel in atomix and i have twice as much ram in the P3. you'll save money on ram.

The ROland USB and Firewire is key because of the plugs,,, they are big and solid and won't break which my headphone jack did on the VAIO .
now, the i'm playing the USB as mono but if you use the vaio headphone jack you can have stereo on both channels. the only problem with this is.....
the headphone jack uses a 16bit DAD converter and the Roland is a 24bit DAD converter.
I love the ROland because of i'm now getting 24bit studio sound from my laptop, but in mono.
independent mono channels though. in big clubs mono doesn't matter because the other speaker is so damn far away,, mono in clubs is sometimes better!!

I usually only carry the laptop, roland, fireiwre and mixer and it's still pretty small.

hope this helps, it's a bit more money but laptops have solid 2d cards already (no 3d so you won't be playing games) but it's an investment for sure.

xalex

Posted Wed 28 Mar 01 @ 6:25 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)