Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ & "Which Sound Card?" Issue Once and for All.....

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

okay

first off, my advance apologies to all veterans of this board for re-hashing the "which sound card is best for VDJ?" yet again.

however....

after reading all the posts i could find on this topic, and also even after talking to a couple of people on this board in private emails, i am still unclear on this.

so here goes....

using a laptop, i want to run the left "virtual deck" of VDJ into one channel on my external mixer and the right "virtual deck" of VDJ into a second channel on my external mixer, and use the crossfader on my external mixer to crossfade the mix. (not multiple instances of VDJ, one running version of the software only).

is this possible? and if it is possible, which sound card can i, should i, do i, use so that i am able to use an external mixer for my crossfader, and NOT the software crossfader?

can anyone answer this question with a simple yes or no and the brand/name/model# of the sound card they use to achieve this if the answer is yes (remember this is for a laptop).

eternally grateful to anyone who can answer this definitively once and for all.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 03 @ 5:27 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You can actually do what you are trying to do without buying a 2nd sound card. Simply plug a stereo splitter type of cable into the headphone output (or line out) on your laptop.
This cable will have a standard stereo headphone mini jack on one end. (that's the end that plugs into your laptop)
then on the other end there are 2 rca jacks, usually one is red and the other is white.
Now, you can plug one of these rca ends into one of the channels on your mixer, and plug the other one into another channel on your mixer. (this will work fine IF your mixer has a switch to change the output to mono. If your mixer doesn't have this switch, then you have to get 2 more splitters, but a different type of splitter. You need the type that will plug the single plug end into one of the rca ends coming from your laptop, then the dual end into the channel on your mixer.)
Then go to your sound configuration panel, and choose the single sound card picture on the left, and the mixer set-up on the right.
There you go, you are ready to use your external mixer. I DJ with my laptop 3-5 times every week in bars and clubs, this is the configuration that I use in 2 of the bars I work in.
In the other bar, I can make good use of stereo output, so I bought an inexpensive telex usb audio device, and I use it as a 2nd sound card on Friday nights.
The actual output is about the same, and it sounds just as good in the single card set-up, as it does in the dual card set-up.

Good luck man!

Posted Wed 26 Nov 03 @ 5:39 pm
ahhhh....brilliant! i think i get it! :)

so with the single card setup, even if you dont have a "mono switch" on your mixer and you run the "second splitter scenario" into both rca jacks of a single channel, your sound from that channel will be mono, correct?

and if i am reading this right there is no single sound card that will run dual output for the purposes of VDJ. You actually have to have 2 separate sound cards? so you would use the internal sound card that came with your laptop for one virtual deck and an external soundcard for the other virtual deck?

thx much mate.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 03 @ 6:02 pm
I think you are reading it wrong. Single sound card, dual mono outputs... works great!

Posted Wed 26 Nov 03 @ 6:53 pm
no i think i get what your saying for the single sound card configuration. you are saying that the signal from the laptop is split into the two separate channels on the mixer as a mono signal for each channel rather than a stereo signal for each.

however, is what i've said about the dual sound card scenario accurate? you need one sound card for each virtual deck if you want a stereo signal from each deck?

Posted Wed 26 Nov 03 @ 9:21 pm
Yup

Posted Wed 26 Nov 03 @ 9:22 pm
shazaam! he does get it! thanks muchly bro.

Posted Wed 26 Nov 03 @ 9:23 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)