Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: people who think they shouldn't upgrade because "it just works like this", should read this

Posted Mon 20 May 24 @ 8:04 pm
Unfortunately this might be due to bad experiences with other software (software additions/modifications can always introduce regressions), most likely due to insufficient dev testing before its release.

It feels like people often seem to overlook these things:

1. All non trivial software probably has bugs in it (discovered and unknown)
    In the worst case (avoiding OS updates), it could open up the entire machine to exploit (as you have posted here)
  2. Fixes to these issues can only come through updates

It's a bit confusing too with DJ software updates...people would stay on a version until they "think is safe to update" (i.e. someone they respect told them to update...look at competitor's forums where peope are asking if this stable version is "safe"), but report problems and ask for them to be fixed. How would you get fixes/features without updating?

Posted Mon 20 May 24 @ 9:16 pm
I know a couple of DJs with VDJ 7 on Windows 7 and they never let the machines online. They just transfer over new songs by USB stick.

Posted Mon 20 May 24 @ 9:27 pm
I still have a Dell Inspiron 6000 running XP which I only use for Quickbooks for Windows annual accounts.

It still contains Carrot Innovations Virtual TurnTables, PCDJ Blue, PCDJ Red, PCDJ VRM FX, PCDJ VJ, Traktor 3, Abelton Live vers.4 and of course VirtualDJ 7. Had it since around 2005 and used it for DJing including Music Video output. Still runs fine. It's NOT connected to the internet, it doesn't have a Wi-Fi card in it.

Posted Mon 20 May 24 @ 11:00 pm
Sticking to a particular OS and DJ Software version (a self imposed environment freeze) is a conscious choice, and given you know what you are doing (e.g. no Internet activity and making sure you are the only person accessing the software) it works really well.
It may also mean you are frozen in terms of hardware too.

But it does beg the question - when do you choose to freeze/how do you stumble upon a version/hardware setup that is safe enough to freeze on by some criteria?
You have to try updates/new releases/new machines at some point - it's just that IMO it seems a lot of people have come to expect failure more than success with new releases/updates especially wrt DJ software...that seems to be an unhealthy thought to me because we need updates to fix problems we find.
Maybe a Wiki with guidelines on how to go about doing that effectively, while keeping a safe fallback version would be helpful?

Posted Tue 21 May 24 @ 3:52 am
Personally i've always been an early adopter for most things. when i have control over it and i DO use early access updates for extensive testing of everything at home on computers far more powerful and modern that what is at the club.... But sadly that control doesn't extend to the club where we are STILL running win7 on an old ASUS tower built in 2010.
direct quote from manager who says he was an IT when he was in the Army: "It runs just fine. You don't need a machine that powerful."
yes... that kind of manager

Fortunately we can still run 32bit VirtualDJ and believe me it is FLAWLESS night after night without running afoul of win10 or win11 stupidity. The only time it's ever online is for a build update and not using stems there is not a drawback for that kind of club.
not saying i don't want it updated to a more modern machine, but for some circumstances we just have to deal with the stupidity handed to us.

Posted Tue 21 May 24 @ 4:18 am
Not all people (yes, there are those) are computer familiar or software knowledgeable or even understand simple terminology (not to mention scripting). Probably they fear that, in case they update and there is a problem (or they think it is a problem) or a come up with new things or something unknown, they won't be able to cope. So they prefer the safety of the older version. VDJ keeps evolving. But some people simply, (like other things on those days), cannot follow it or they can to a certain limit. This is the one reason. The other (which is probably the most important one and has nothing to do with VDJ) is not VDJ updates (many thanks to the forum), but those of Microsoft and Apple. 'What if i update the OS so i can use the newest versions of VDJ and something goes wrong or some other applications or connected hardware don't work anymore'. Well, it happens and when it does, if you are one of those people, good luck with that.

Posted Tue 21 May 24 @ 5:20 pm
I belong to the group of people who feel comfortable with what I have and see no rush to update.
I do small steps and update if I need support for a new controller.
But stems and those bling bling I never had the need for, so I stick to a stable 32bit version.
But I am now at one or two builds before 2024 update.

Posted Tue 21 May 24 @ 6:52 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :
I still have a Dell Inspiron 6000 running XP which I only use for Quickbooks for Windows annual accounts.

It still contains Carrot Innovations Virtual TurnTables, PCDJ Blue, PCDJ Red, PCDJ VRM FX, PCDJ VJ, Traktor 3, Abelton Live vers.4 and of course VirtualDJ 7. Had it since around 2005 and used it for DJing including Music Video output. Still runs fine. It's NOT connected to the internet, it doesn't have a Wi-Fi card in it.

Just for fun:
Half of those applications won't even boot, or if they boot won't work properly unless you rewind the system back to 2007 or something.

I know for sure that all those old "PCDJ" titles won't boot, and that VirtualDJ 7 won't work properly (dates will get stuck and everything will be seen as done in the same day)

So, I "fail" to see how useful this system is, besides being used as a museum piece :P :)

Posted Wed 22 May 24 @ 8:53 am
DJ VinylTouch wrote :
Sticking to a particular OS and DJ Software version (a self imposed environment freeze) is a conscious choice, and given you know what you are doing (e.g. no Internet activity and making sure you are the only person accessing the software) it works really well.
It may also mean you are frozen in terms of hardware too.

But it does beg the question - when do you choose to freeze/how do you stumble upon a version/hardware setup that is safe enough to freeze on by some criteria?
You have to try updates/new releases/new machines at some point - it's just that IMO it seems a lot of people have come to expect failure more than success with new releases/updates especially wrt DJ software...that seems to be an unhealthy thought to me because we need updates to fix problems we find.
Maybe a Wiki with guidelines on how to go about doing that effectively, while keeping a safe fallback version would be helpful?

Something to think about:
If "everybody" choose to "freeze" their environment, then innovation goes out the window. Who will be left behind to develop new things for, and more importantly, who's going to test those new features so that you can "unfreeze" your environment after 5 or 7 or even 10 years down the line ?
Yes, companies should provide nice and stable equipment and software. Period.
But you can't have it all..
If you want "ultra well tested, super bulletproof, rock solid" development, you loose "fast" development. And before you say "fine, I don't want/need fast" then try to think of a world where you would still be using what you used to use in 2004, and what we have today will not be a reality until maybe 2094. Not just in terms of DJ-ing, but in everything that evolves technology.
Or you can have "ultra well tested, super bulletproof, rock solid" and "fast" at the same time, but you loose "cheap", where every update costs several times more of what it does today, and/or very few people can even afford to buy a computer and it's accompanying software. Yet alone a smartphone! :P
You want "others" to do the dirty work for you, but you're not willing to contribute -at all- at helping development proceed forward. I don't mean by being a test subject, obviously!. But you don't seem to be willing to "take one for the team" since all you want is to jump from one "ultra well tested, super bulletproof, rock solid" environment to another "ultra well tested, super bulletproof, rock solid" environment without getting your feet wet. Which is not helping IMHO!

PS: This is not a personal attack or something. It's a generalization against one specific mindset that some people have. I don't imply that you fall into that mindset either. I'm just using your words as an opportunity to express some of my thoughts.

Posted Wed 22 May 24 @ 9:33 am
Curious if those who chose to not upgrade Drive older cars, have older tv's , and generally don't like change . I have a friend who does not like change and when he has to change does nothing but complain . Me I upgrade my software and run early access versions

Posted Wed 22 May 24 @ 4:26 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
djles.co.uk wrote :

Just for fun:
Half of those applications won't even boot, or if they boot won't work properly unless you rewind the system back to 2007 or something.

I know for sure that all those old "PCDJ" titles won't boot, and that VirtualDJ 7 won't work properly (dates will get stuck and everything will be seen as done in the same day)

So, I "fail" to see how useful this system is, besides being used as a museum piece :P :)

As mentioned it is only used for accounts and never touches the internet. Last used at a gig July 2014, ironically near Beamish Open Air Museum.🤣

Posted Wed 22 May 24 @ 4:56 pm