Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: auto_bpm_transition
Love this new feature.. and the huge BPM ranges over which it works is amazing..
(unlike the, (I think) 6%, difference, in automix)

reporting one case where the BPMs do not change as expected (or preferred)

here is example:
both tracks from Tidal, easy to find:
-------------------
Track 1)
td59024020
Pitbull & Enrique Iglesias - Messin' Around
BPM 79.00
-------------------
Track 2)
td214927675
Saweetie - Closer
BPM 111.00

If one uses auto_bpm_transition to mix from track 1 to track 2
the final BPM of "Closer" is 222 BPM, way to fast for chill track
The Pitch slider is at +100%
would want the final BPM to be 111BPM

If one uses auto_bpm_transition to mix from track 2 to track 1
the final BPM for "Messin' Around" is 158 BPM
again the pitch slider finishes at +100%
would want the final BPM to be 79 BPM

wanted to report this rare case (bpm combo)..

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 1:58 pm
Just gave it a try here and BPM stayed at 111. Only the outgoing track should change anyway. I don't see how the incoming one would double.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 2:22 pm
thanks Grovindj for checking.. and upon further investigation, appears to be NOT an issue with auto_bpm_transition, but with a cool script from locodog's script school thread, and seems to only have issue in this or maybe similar BPM combos.

I had replaced the A-BPM TR's "ON" button script with locodog's start script (from script school), so the ON button could be pushed, with incoming track is at the correct location, (but stopped).

the script, (will need a look at now & a tweak and the script.. is:
( action_deck 1 ? deck 2 play : deck 1 play ) & auto_bpm_transition & ( action_deck 1 ? deck 2 sync : deck 1 sync ) & repeat_start rsiABT 25ms -1 & deck 1 auto_bpm_transition ? nothing : loop 0 & repeat_stop rsiABT

if that is used then this if video of result, (note this script works with every other bpm combo attempted):

direct link if above video does not load:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_t0V6uHo84

and again this does NOT occur with default, auto_bpm_transition as script for the ON button.
So it is NOT an issue with the auto_bpm_transition.

thanks for the help GroovinDJ !

Still trying to determine if this could be useful in a work flow.. love the idea ..but have not figured out how to incorporate it. First thought is it gets in the way, as many auto-features can do at times. Keeping an open mind.

Would love to hear great ideas.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 3:51 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
no both do decks change,
and I've seen it get weird with some bpm differences. [today even]
I wasn't paying full attention but I was sure it should have gone down to meet 0.5* the other bpm but it went up.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 3:54 pm
can you see the video, locodog..
(for some reason the embed is not connecting)

this BPM double, only seems to happen in this strange bpm combo when.. ALSO using the "Start script", mentioned above.

IE does NOT double the BPM if, only... auto_bpm_transition is used to trigger the start of the transition.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 4:02 pm
I see, but the script is logically valid [he says], but I've run into this type of double/half chasing the pitch the wrong way issue the sampler recently. Seems like there's an edge case with the underlying maths somewhere.

As for cool ideas, I've a host of loopCount variations that bandpass down to the midrange, set right it can deal with loop off and filter to not much, 'loop out' fx looks like it has uses too, if abt is loop off, it keeps real time.

loopCount can do any dial

First thing I grabbed, the band pass could be wider, those extra dials on the mixer are hp & lp filter

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 4:34 pm
PS
don't see anything that would cause the behavior in the Start script:
( action_deck 1 ? deck 2 play : deck 1 play ) & auto_bpm_transition & ( action_deck 1 ? deck 2 sync : deck 1 sync ) & repeat_start rsiABT 25ms -1 & deck 1 auto_bpm_transition ? nothing : loop 0 & repeat_stop rsiABT
Its a great script and all things that one would need to do manually (except turn off the loop if there is one), to use the auto_bpm_transition new feature.

Would be a great addition if an auto-start, option was added:

auto_bpm_transition_options autostart
where it triggers an autostart & sync of the opposite deck with auto_bpm_transition

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 4:43 pm
autostart for 2 decks yeah that would work, 4 decks gets *waves hand* ...messy...

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 4:50 pm
agree locodog.. so just as one setup the transitions features you wish.. in the A-BPM TR padpage. add the new option autostart as a possibility for those cases of 2 decks, even opposite deck (say, if deck 4 is upper deck, though not nec to have this, would be happy with deck 1 and 2).

Oh wait .. there is already a place for it on A-BPM TR ... pad 2 ! (destiny or ?)

so if one wants the opposite deck to start & sync, also.. then arm pad 2. (call it, maybe, A-S, for autostart, not A-S-S for autostart & sync, lol) (now blank) before pressing pad 1, "ON"

Posted Mon 18 Sep 23 @ 5:05 pm