Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Accurate beat cutting
Hi again. I don't wish to be bothering the technical team so much but I just want to
point out the small issues that I think would be nice if they were able to be implemented so that every user is happy.
I mean since every person thinks differently, it would be fantastic if a certain functionality or action favors everybody whether they are newbies, geeks, pros or just weird in their own way.
So oftenly I will be pointing out areas that I think need improvement. For instance the cut effect. It is great no doubt about it, but my concern is that it lacks a 4th effect slider of controlling the beat cut length.
So someone may say it already has that functionality in the second effect slider but what if you need to cut a beat for let's say 1/4 but then you want it to be silent afterwards for 1bt since the second effect_slider is set to 1bt i.e effect_select 1 "cut" & effect_slider 1 100% & effect_slider 1 2 70% & 'effect_slider 1 4 40%'

Another scenario is when using the cut effect with the slicer effect. Since the slicer effect doesn't cut the beats completely one may be forced to use both slicer and cut effects when they want to cut clean, hard and full beats but the same issue is witnessed.
I like the slicer effect since it is more accurate than other methods but when I want clean and sharp beats I don't get that. It would be also nice to include some sort of toggling option on the slicer effect where one can toggle between hard cuts and general cuts.

I prefer the cut effect since it is sharper than other methods eg setting cue action on the song to limit what you want to hear i.e cue x1 => mute off cue x2 => mute on

Here is an example that I think would best suit my post. It would be worth while to mention that most of these issues that I mention here I encounter them when making mixtapes.
I am a die hard of virtual dj and I use it in my mixtapes from pre-production, production and a little bit of post-production.

So let's say I have songs loaded on both deck A and B. I now want when deck A reaches near the changing song position to do an automated scratch.
So on deck A I will create cues that match the scratch pattern that I want to achieve. In those cues I will put the following command action

example1
cue x1 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 40% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play
cue x2 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 40% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play
cue x3 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 40% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play
example 2
cue x1 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 70% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play
cue x2 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 70% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play
cue x3 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 70% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play

It is also worth to mention that most of the time I need 1/4 beats.
So in example 1 the cut effect with cut 1/4 beats all through even before reaching the second cue in line
In the second example the cut effect will cut a huge beat which will not be 1/4 and would last close to 1bt loop which maybe will not match my scratch pattern.

So if the cut effect would have a 4th slider of regulating the silence afterwards I would use the second example perfectly i.e
cue x1 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 70% & deck B effect_slider 1 4 40% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play
cue x2 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 70% & & deck B effect_slider 1 4 40% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play
cue x3 => deck B effect_select 1 cut & deck B effect_slider 1 100% & deck B effect_slider 1 2 70% & deck B effect_slider 1 4 40% & deck B effect_active "cut" on & deck B goto_cue x & deck B play

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 12:26 pm