Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cue Display name parameter
Hey atomix wizards, can the name parameter be added in the cue_display action in future builds.
This is because sometimes you want to explicitly use the name of the cue in your script to get its
position. It would also be nice if the cue_display action would accept casted parameters but it doesn't i.e cue_name 1 & param_cast & cue_display. So to illustrate this issue let's say that I want to execute a certain action when the cue distance is 0.0 s so the
script would be
repeat_start_instant abc 0ms & deck left has_cue 'abc' ? param_equal "`deck left cue_display abc`" "0.0 s" ? //action_here : nothing : nothing

This way I can quickly explicitly check for that cue instead of guessing by iterating through numbers i.e repeat_start_instant abc 0ms & deck left has_cue 'abc' ? param_equal "`deck left cue_display 1`" "0.0 s" ? //action_here : param_equal "`deck left cue_display 2`" "0.0 s" ? //action_here : param_equal "`deck left cue_display 3`" "0.0 s" ? //action_here : nothing
So if cue 'abc' is the 50th cue I will have to write 50 iterations which is hectic.

I know some may say to use the cue_pos action which accepts the name parameter but in order to make it work accurately for timing a specific distance requires either long script lines which adds a huge load to the system or it need a fast machine to accurately implement.
//long script lines
repeat_start_instant mchwasis 0ms -1 & cue_countup & param_smaller 0.1 ? param_equal "`param_add 'song_pos & param_multiply 10' 'cue_pos abc & param_multiply -10'`" "0" ? //action_here : param_equal "`param_add 'song_pos & param_multiply 10' 'cue_pos def & param_multiply -10'`" "0" ? //action2_here : param_equal "`param_add 'song_pos & param_multiply 10' 'cue_pos ghi & param_multiply -10'`" "0" ? //action3_here : nothing : nothing
//fast machine
repeat_start_instant mchwasis 0ms & param_equal "`get_position & param_multiply 25`" "`cue_pos abc & param_multiply 25 & param_cast float`" ? //action_here : nothing
By the way the repeat_start_instant abc 0ms & //action_here syntax tend not to work in vdj 2021 builds atleast for me so most of this automation scripts I still use vdj 8. I don't know if it's a bug or the atomix team decided to limit the functionality for their reasons eg saving memory etc.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 8:26 am
I know some may also advise to use the cue_action action directly but that was addded in the 2021 builds
since I'm using vdj 8 it doesn't have that action. Adding the cue actions manually is the alternative but it
is time comsuming besides the cue action is limited to forward movements of the song and sometimes I also need to do
certain actions irregardless of the song playback direction. Also since the cue action is bound to specific time, it does not allow room for delays.
I know most of the time like 99% it works but for me it sometimes fails when I needed it the most.
So if you have an old pc it would be best if you take the script automation approach since you can increase the cue execution distance i.e starting action x ms to or after the cue position.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 9:07 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Curious what the point is of asking for something new to be added if you don't intend to update though

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 9:51 am
I may use it for a different task in future. I normally use both versions according to my need at that particular time.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 10:04 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What does the old version do that the new version doesn't?

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 10:11 am
The custom automation script part. Most of my custom scripts that I use with the repeat_start_instant abc 0ms & //action syntax don't get executed in the new versions. That's my main concern.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 10:15 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
repeat_start_instant scripts have a speed limit of around 30ms they never go faster than that no matter what you type

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 5:10 pm
My bad there. Indeed it is true. To clarify this I have found that 0ms is the only value that is not accepted by this script action. I think I got used to using 0ms and never tested for other values. Thanks for the response, 30ms it is.

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 5:21 pm