Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Additional volume fader control does not work
MC242PRO InfinityMember since 2017
Okay, I have already made another topic but nobody answered, so I’ll try it a little less specific.
I have a stand-alone DJ controller (XDJ-XZ) which has a built in mixer that I can control directly with its built-in faders.
Virtual DJ reflects the fader movement.
But I would like to have an additional control for the volume of decks 1 and 2 with an extra BLE MIDI controller.
The BLE controller is connected (it could also be a normal MIDI controller).
The MIDI signal is recognized and the fader goes up and down (and catches the value), but the levels don’t change….
Now my question would be if it is possible to control the volume of the faders with an additional controller.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Mon 11 Sep 23 @ 8:39 pm
The XZ has an external mixer stup, so the VDJ software mixer is not being used.

The fader movement in VDJ is just there for visual feedback. The VDJ mixer isn't controlling anything.

Therefore, your MIDI controller can't control the volume of the XZ.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 23 @ 8:53 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Sort of,
the HW mixer is always going to be the final gate, if the gate is closed [fader down] then no sound.
Your midi controller could control an earlier gate like the volume plugin.
The hardware could also be mapped to override the midi volume under some condition.

Posted Mon 11 Sep 23 @ 9:00 pm
locodog wrote :
Sort of,
the HW mixer is always going to be the final gate, if the gate is closed [fader down] then no sound.
Your midi controller could control an earlier gate like the volume plugin.
The hardware could also be mapped to override the midi volume under some condition.

Thank you very much, this is an interesting approach. I will investigate this further and see if I can come up with a sort of workaround solution this way.

Posted Tue 12 Sep 23 @ 1:50 am
You can disable "fake_mixer" that XDJ-XZ mapper forces on init.
However:
1) When you close volume from your MIDI controller, you will loose PFL (CUE) on XDJ-XZ as well
2) If the volume sliders on XDJ-XZ are closed, you are not going to get ANY sound on your master, no matter what your MIDI controller tells VirtualDJ to do.

In other words: Your MIDI controller will just act as an extra gain knob (that can only go to negative values)

Posted Tue 12 Sep 23 @ 9:14 am
Thank you, PHANTOMDEEJAY, this is valuable information (like you always provide)!

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 12:34 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I think that would dramatically change the fader curve of the hardware just from the hardware alone.
If source is 1, and fader is 0.9, then 0.9 would be sent to the HW from vdj and then you'd get another drop from the hardware. and that depends on the HW [most are logarithmic curves]

Posted Wed 13 Sep 23 @ 12:58 am