Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: xlr to rca pointless?
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
stupid questions for djs, or anyone who knows.
my speakers are hifi. i dont like most monitor speakers. esp yamahas. they give me headaches and can trigger migraines.
so whether im usning my controller. ddj rz, or mixer. i read using the xlr on the back is the standard. etc, but using a cable thats xlr to rca is pointless. because its now just an unbalanced cable since its not xlr all the way.. im not like an audiophile nerd. just want it to sound good.. it does. but
should i use this very $$$ rca cable from the mixer straight to the hifi speakers.
use the xlr to rca cable. or do i need those little adapter plugs to attach to the speakers that are converters.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 6:39 am
PANOSVPRO InfinityMember since 2007
if there is rca master out , use this.
or else get a converter xlr to rca

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 8:06 am
1. You don't connect RCA cables with speakers. You connect RCA cables with an amplifier that's connected to your speakers.

2. Avoid mixing types of connection. If your amplifier has RCA inputs (most likely for a Hi-Fi amp) then use a good RCA cable from your controller's mixer's RCA outputs.

3. If for any reason in the future you need to convert signal between unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR/TRS) then the ONLY correct way to do it is via an active signal transformation device.

4. There are "adaptor cables / plugs" that will convert between RCA and XLR or TRS (Jack) but you should avoid them at all costs. You should only use them as a last resource / last minute solution, and even then, almost any other solution is preferable.

5. If an amplifier and a mixer offer both RCA and XLR inputs/outputs, prefer to use the XLR method to connect them.
HOWEVER, there is not any significant difference between choosing RCA and XLR connections sound wise.

6. The reason we prefer XLR over RCA is that XLR is capable to send the signal to greater distances than RCA. Also the XLR signal is "shielded" and it does not suffer interference, while RCA does.

7. I oversimplified things.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 10:51 am
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Audioengine-HD6-Wireless-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B017E10MPU/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3AVI9SLGACMQB&keywords=audioengine%2Bengine&qid=1693479683&sprefix=audioengine%2Bengine%2Caps%2C76&sr=8-10&th=1
i have these without the blu tooth. they sound great. and only have rca inputs. and one digital.

the question is. on my mixer. it has rca and xlr

some say the rca is better as long as its a short cable

others say xlr. but using a xlr to rca. while it does work. its no longer balanced.

have cheap rca cables. and a ridic priced audio quest rca. the AQ for some reason sounds really really brash. yes clearer. but ear fatigue and just too clincal. cheap rca cables dont

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 11:05 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
1. You don't connect RCA cables with speakers. You connect RCA cables with an amplifier that's connected to your speakers.

2. Avoid mixing types of connection. If your amplifier has RCA inputs (most likely for a Hi-Fi amp) then use a good RCA cable from your controller's mixer's RCA outputs.

3. If for any reason in the future you need to convert signal between unbalanced (RCA) and balanced
(XLR/TRS) then the ONLY correct way to do it is via an active signal transformation device.

4. There are "adaptor cables / plugs" that will convert between RCA and XLR or TRS (Jack) but you should avoid them at all costs. You should only use them as a last resource / last minute solution, and even then, almost any other solution is preferable.

5. If an amplifier and a mixer offer both RCA and XLR inputs/outputs, prefer to use the XLR method to connect them.
HOWEVER, there is not any significant difference between choosing RCA and XLR connections sound wise.

6. The reason we prefer XLR over RCA is that XLR is capable to send the signal to greater distances than RCA. Also the XLR signal is "shielded" and it does not suffer interference, while RCA does.

7. I oversimplified things.

you are spot on. was going to get those adapter things. but will avoid.

time for some testing

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 11:08 am
Your speakers are self amplified. The amplifier is located on one of the two speakers.
Anyway, for these speakers I would just get a good RCA cable.

By "good" I don't mean a $$$$ expensive one. Something in the 20-30 euros range for 5 meters should be more than enough. I would not go for more expensive ones, nor I would go for the 5 euro ones. Hope this make sense..

PS: Better cables can provide more quality. And better cables are more expensive as well. However, your listening position matters more than the quality of cables when it comes to hi end audio listening.
this means that "better" cables (some RCA cables can cost hundreds of euros per meter) are going to upgrade your sound experience only if you already have found the ideal listening position and you are always listening from that (static) position.
Since you want to connect the speakers on a controller, I don't think you are going to use these speakers on an ideal environment where everything else being equal better cables will provide better experience.
Also I don't think you're going to place them 20 or 30 meters away where having XLR cables converted to RCA just before the speakers could possibly make sense / minor difference.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 11:29 am
the speakers are placed 1 meter in front of me. had them for years. all is good. whether its a controller or mixer.

now just going from rca output on mixer to the amp on the speaker. the $$$ sound "good". but yes for my purposed i dont need anything more than 30 euros. might just use the fancy rca to connect to my stanton st50 turntable into the mixer.

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 11:55 am
ok after all the testing. at least with these speakers. xlr from mixer to rca on speakers sounds much better. not shrill. cold, or having to make the volume louder.

and btw there was a small difference with the 200 euro rca cable soundwise. but not enough to justify the 15 euro amazon basic type. i see a lot of bad $hit online about these cables. sigh whatever. maybe give it to spouse for their regular hifi. and its not the right size if you were to have some sort of amp were its longer than 1 inch to plug stuff into.

i know im not running a "balanced" sound with this type of cable. but tbh it does sound for me best.

this is the cable i have.
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/enoaudio-Mogami-Stereo-Audio-Neutrik/dp/B07BLK4H8Y/ref=sr_1_29?crid=1166M219A0SP8&keywords=xlr%2Bto%2Brca&qid=1693495469&s=ce-de&sprefix=%2Celectronics%2C68&sr=1-29&th=1

Posted Thu 31 Aug 23 @ 3:27 pm