Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How do these forums even work
I've tried really hard to learn how to use these forums, but they are so restrictively limited in how you can use them. It's driving me absolutely nuts. For instance, how do I embed an image Like other people do? I have tried bb codes. They don't work. I've tried copy and pasting. I've tried embedding images. I have tried everything in my ability. It has taken me a couple of hours and I'm sick of wasting my time. And on that note, how do you even delete a post? It's like. there is absolutely no ui tools to do anything in this forum, let alone out of all the forums I've read on here almost nothing seems to be genuinely answered in a way that actually helps people. Im kind of getting over virtual DJ, its like, I like the customizability but I feel like Im starting do the heavy lifting of this company. Im actually having to read the SDK to make basic changes... screw paying for this if I have to do this much work before Ive even pressed play.

Posted Sun 02 Jul 23 @ 7:26 am
Break dude,

VirtualDJ comes Basic with a great Overlay with all Functions.
The open SDK and the Scripts are for experience users. No other Software has souch a open Source. It's very cool from Atomix that we can so much customize.

To the Forum. The BBC Codes works only for Users above Home Licence.

From me a big thanks to the ATOMIX Team for the great Work since YEARS.

Posted Sun 02 Jul 23 @ 7:58 am
Remember that 99% of users don't make any changes in the software at all
It's an add-on if you will, that VDJ can do it - but most user by far don't customize at all
You don't need to, if you just want to do regular audio/video/karaoke/steam DJ'ing with the software
Like maybe 5-10 people in the works that don't work for Atomix use the SDK to create their own plugins like additional FXs

Regarding the forum you can't do much before you are a paying customer

Posted Sun 02 Jul 23 @ 3:59 pm
Apologies, speaking out of frustration can bring out the worst.

Thanks for replying to these.

I guess that's what would be nice to know, when you join the forums bb codes dont work for you till you pay. Couldn't find that info anywhere. Thanks for that. Documentation for Virtual DJ needs some work.

Sorry Denny (with all due respect because you have made what I think is indisputably the best skin for the platform - why dont you work at Atomix?), but "The open SDK and the Scripts are for experience users" is a gatekeeper statement that is basically saying "i dont know who you are but it's only for us" ... I've been DJing for 15 years, Virtual DJ was my first DJ program and I'm a software engineer with a masters in CS. When stems went mainstream I came back to Virtual DJ, and Im excited to see how far Virtual DJ has come but its been out for like 20 years and the documentation is just not really inviting to someone like me let alone the thousands that would love to know how to do it...and it's XML too, it's not like Im doing C on a game engine. Some of the documentation isn't even finished it literally just finished mid example and links to example skins dont work. Not demanding it get done as a priority but if Virtual DJ wants to have a thriving community based on what it brings to the table (it's open source community)... maybe make the forum easier to use and make it's open source nature even more accessible.

Your likely an Atomix devotee so you wont see eye to eye but hopefully those upstairs take note.

You get a lot for free, but it's also not free. I am moving back to Virtual DJ because of it's open source nature (that's after playing professionally with every single platform for many many years). Not going to get into the intricacies of what is and isnt worth what for free and paid. But until I can get what I want out of VDJ I'm really not keen on paying for yet another subscription service.

I can tell you now from playing professionally for clubs, bars, and festivals in Australia, NZ, Ireland and Japan, Virtual DJ is not seen lightly in the professional circuit (I know alot of mobile DJs who rock it) but in clubs and bars you can lose work if you aren't using well... basically Rekordbox and Serato and maybe Engine and I wont be using it in this setting until I've got a setup I can say "told you so" to other DJs.

Posted Sat 08 Jul 23 @ 4:36 pm
I mean, I dont want to bag on VDJ ... I've been playing with it heaps the last couple of months but it's not rock solid as far as performance goes. Even in 2023 the effects chaining and sync is still hit and miss....id go as far as to say at worst 20% of the time I can get it to do unexpected behaviour during a complex set, but there is not a set I have played using VDJ maybe ever where everything behaved exactly as expected. Most pro DJs demand nothing short of 100% so I understand why there is just no way they use it.

Just try to work with the scratch DNA, just try to reenact a James Hype set (seriously, me and a mate just for fun couldnt get this to work using VDJ, if you are playing two tracks and put a 1/8 loop on deck 1 and start smashing the play button with a 0.5 second brake setting, it will just exit the loop, totally ridiculous, you literally can't do the routine). Cant chain effects with an echo on the vocals and reverb on the whole channel, cant be done. Want to have simple pitch bending that doesnt warp the sound like real master tempo, nope, VDJ still cant do that in 2023. Want to have a rock solid sync clock with a master tempo for your 99 Decks! Nope, just find the master that was auto-assigned or set a new one.
I like scripting out the exact behaviour of my controllers, I did this for years with my Traktor equipment and it was peak DJing for me. On VDJ it feels like a house of cards.
Even changing the stems using the EQ pots, it seems to change the balance between the stems rather than just fading or gaining the individual stem.

Just feel like as much I'm having "fun" using Virtual DJ it's just not something I should indulge much longer if I can't rely on it for a set. Had a ball seeing what the future of DJIng could be tho.

I want VDJ to be awesome because DJing really needs to innovate and the big players are like snails in that regard.

Posted Sun 09 Jul 23 @ 3:30 am
DJMBR01PRO InfinityMember since 2015
user26320160 wrote :
...in clubs and bars you can lose work if you aren't using well... basically Rekordbox and Serato and maybe Engine

That "exclusive" attitude regarding an artist's tools sounds draconian and naive.

VDJ can outrun the competition so the "competition" won't let 'em enter the race.

P.S. You're a paid dj yet you want and rely on free tools...noted.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 23 @ 12:24 pm