Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Rating Tag Export Questions
Hi Everyone,
I've been trying to research this topic for a couple of hours and haven't gotten any results, so maybe if I state my question someone can provide me the insight I seek.

I have been using a combination of Apple Music, MP3Tag and Virtual DJ to attempt to organize my vast music library. I have apx 60K files (I do everything, weddings, clubs, corporate gigs, etc. Also I have many variations on the same song sometimes ~ Radio Edit, Extended Mix, Instrumental, etc). Because I have so many files it becomes daunting to update tags, so I've been trying to employ automation as I go.

I usually rate my tracks in Apple Music because its a bit more intuitive to do it there casually as I'm doing other things simultaneously while I'm reviewing tracks. I use the "import itunes ratings" feature in Virtual DJ, it seems successful enough. However when I open the tracks in MP3 Player, I can't seem to find where the actual rating tag correlates to the file's ID3 tag. I know apple music/itunes does not write the rating tag to the file itself. I assumed that Virtual DJ's method of importing the rating would write it to the file's "RATING WMP" field but it doesn't seem to do that. I am asking because I want to be able to have the flexibility of opening a list of songs in mp3 tag and batch updating the rating if I know those songs aren't quite as high on my rating list anymore.

Any help is hugely appreciated!!!
Thanks!
-J

Posted Mon 05 Jun 23 @ 1:14 am
The "import" function does just that. It imports the info from iTunes inside VirtualDJ. Nothing more.
Also by default VirtualDJ will not write/update tags unless you explicitly tell it to do so.

Posted Tue 06 Jun 23 @ 8:09 am
Hi thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that after I do the import I do open the Virtual DJ Tag Editor and manually click the "write tags" button. I know something happens because I can see the updated BPM information once I open the files back in MP3 Tag and the Apple Music App.

I guess a secondary question is what ID3 Tag does Virtual DJ's ratings correspond to? "Grouping" in Virdual DJ actually updates the "Content Group" ID3 Tag, for example. Or is it exclusive to Virtual DJ's database, like the user1 and user2 tags?

Posted Tue 06 Jun 23 @ 3:22 pm