Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Sound output lag
I'm getting some output lag for headphones/speakers on my new high powered laptop. About half a second. My few years old Acer budget laptop has no delay. I hit play and the song plays that instant. I have no delay for any other sounds from other programs on the new laptop. No extra soundcard plugged into either. No controller attached. Virtual DJ and wired headphones only. I open it up, load a track, and press play. The waveform starts moving and the beat I hear is just past the spikes on the waveform. I never messed with any latency or other settings on the old laptop that would affect this. It just played fine immediately.

Any ideas?

*Just tested and I have the same problem in Rekordbox.

Posted Tue 25 Apr 23 @ 8:47 pm

Posted Tue 25 Apr 23 @ 10:50 pm
I don't think that is necessary. My old discount laptop also has the generic Realtek sound and worked fine for the last three years. My controller, when I use it, has another sound card built in, but I should be able to just open Virtual DJ without it, press play, and have it be instant here. This has to be a setting or other program causing a problem.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 4:36 am
Disable sound optimizations on Windows Sound Panel/Applet. Especially if your laptop has Windows 11 installed from the factory

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 9:56 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Disable sound optimizations on Windows Sound Panel/Applet. Especially if your laptop has Windows 11 installed from the factory

It is Windows 11 from the factory, but disabling that did not fix the issue.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 4:17 pm
Just because your old laptop was OK, it doesn't necessarily mean another laptop will work the same way.

Audio in generic computers is not designed for low latency. If you want good performance then (as previously stated) you have to use something designed for the job. On PC that usually means using an ASIO interface.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 4:49 pm
groovindj wrote :
Just because your old laptop was OK, it doesn't necessarily mean another laptop will work the same way.

Audio in generic computers is not designed for low latency. If you want good performance then (as previously stated) you have to use something designed for the job. On PC that usually means using an ASIO interface.

I don't buy it. I should be able to open Virtual DJ, load a track, hit play, and have it play instantly with the sound lined up to the waveform. It's worked on multiple other computers just fine. We're not even talking about mixing yet. Just playing a track. Also, no non-DJ programs have any sound delay. This is definitely a setting or driver or something like that. I do not believe that it requires me purchasing another sound card or anything extra.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 5:02 pm
Sound Forge and Filmora 9 play songs instantly with the waveform spikes lining up to the beat.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 7:24 pm

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 7:50 pm
But then the drivers updated through Windows Update and now I have the same problem again.

Posted Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 8:58 pm
zerocyber wrote :
But then the drivers updated through Windows Update and now I have the same problem again.

LOL BUT THEN, I remembered that the driver update probably turned audio enhancements back on, so I went into Windows audio settings and turned it off and now it's back to fixed.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 23 @ 4:20 am
I use ASIO4ALL drivers for all midi based stuff. I have used it since the days of plugging my DX 7 to win XP and still use it for the DDJ 1000. It works with most soundcards and controllers

Posted Sun 07 May 23 @ 9:55 pm
ASIO4ALL drivers are:
1) Not ASIO drivers
2) Just piggybacking onto the normal Windows drivers anyway
3) Nothing to do with MIDI

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 3:06 pm
groovindj wrote :
ASIO4ALL drivers are:
1) Not ASIO drivers

While I get what you want to say..
They are not "real" ASIO drivers, but technically "they are" ASIO "drivers" :P
That's their whole point. To provide ASIO "drivers" for devices that don't have their own, so that you can use these devices with applications that strictly require ASIO drivers to operate. (ASIO encapsulation)

PS: I totally agree with you. I'm just explaining this bit of information a little more! :)

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 3:24 pm
Yes, thanks for clarifying. ASIO4ALL emulates (pretends to be) a real ASIO driver.

Back when they first came on the scene, it was quite common for pro software such as DAWs to only provide sound if an ASIO card & driver were available. Not so much the case now.

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 3:39 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
PhantomDeejay wrote :
groovindj wrote :
ASIO4ALL drivers are:
1) Not ASIO drivers

While I get what you want to say..
They are not "real" ASIO drivers, but technically "they are" ASIO "drivers" :P
That's their whole point. To provide ASIO "drivers" for devices that don't have their own, so that you can use these devices with applications that strictly require ASIO drivers to operate. (ASIO encapsulation)

PS: I totally agree with you. I'm just explaining this bit of information a little more! :)

Clear explanation, thanks!

Posted Mon 08 May 23 @ 6:48 pm