Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Filter Folders Not 'Filtering' (Against Conditions); Only Acts Like "Search"
I only noticed this in the last week (and I'm using VDJ 2020 build7469).

I have a Filter Folder with following conditon
bpmdiff<=10 and (keydiff=0 or keydiff=1)

So, for an active, loaded deck, this filter will show in browser, music satisfying those conditions.

Then, I would search in the field, eg. "xyz"
and it would show all music matching "xyz"
_and_
conditions of Filter Folder, ie. KeyDiff 0 or 1.

Lately, in the Filter Folder, searching for something like "abc",
shows me all music matching "abc", but these music does not match Keydiff 0 or 1.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 23 @ 6:17 pm
I can reproduce this.

And do not know which way I prefer, as before one had to ensure that all quick filters were "off" to get any new offline search results. Since "never seen" tracks are not in the database, the quick filter would not find them as matches.

On second thought, I prefer the functioning now, since in most cases when I am doing a search I am looking for new tracks that I do not have. And do not want the quick filter applied to the results.

If you are looking in for tracks that exist in your database with specific criteria, then one can create/use a standard filter. Note the quick filters still, continue to additionally "filter" the results of the standard filter results. (the quick filter being applied to the filter folder)

Summary:
Agree it has changed.

win 10

Posted Sun 26 Feb 23 @ 8:29 pm
If I use QuickFilters, it clutters the top of the browser section very quickly.

On a big monitor, it's not so bad, but on a small laptop, the Quick Filters become hidden,
when using SideList / AutoMix (or even expanding the File-Browser.

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 3:31 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
I can reproduce this.

Yes,...all of my virtual / filter folders don't work anymore,
ie. you cannot search "within" a filtered folder _AND_ satisfy the condition of the filter.

Currently: Win10 , VDJ2020 b7469
( but I noticed this, some versions before this...and I thought it was just me, but this 'bug' has been persistent )

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 3:44 pm
On reexamination, I can NOT reproduce your results.
Quick filters do continue to filter search results (files in DB).
Has NOT changed.

iamanotheryou wrote :
Yes,...all of my virtual / filter folders don't work anymore,
ie. you cannot search "within" a filtered folder _AND_ satisfy the condition of the filter.

With setting: searchInFolder = Yes.
when searching "within" a filtered folder, the search results that also meet the filter criteria show first,
then a heading "Other folders" showing search results from other folders (tracks in DB)
and then further down a heading "Online Results" (showing search results of online files in the DB),
and a heading "Tidal" (showing Tidal, search results, most NOT in DB),
then heading "Beatport" (showing Beatport, search results, most NOT in DB).

So the first grouping does show those tracks that meet the search criteria AND the standard filter criteria.
ie allowing for searching "within" the standard filter
(the same, as searching from within any virtual folder)

Search settings as:
searchInFolder = Yes
searchInDB = Yes
searchInOnlineCatalogs = Yes
OnlineCatalogWhenEmpty = No
OnlineCatalogs = tidal, Beatport

-----------

Summary:

1) Can search "within" standard filtered folders.

2) Quick filters (if active) do filter search results. (Need to turn off all Quick filters, if want to find Online results not in DB)

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 5:30 pm
iamanotheryou wrote :
I only noticed this in the last week (and I'm using VDJ 2020 build7469).

I have a Filter Folder with following conditon
bpmdiff<=10 and (keydiff=0 or keydiff=1)

So, for an active, loaded deck, this filter will show in browser, music satisfying those conditions.

Then, I would search in the field, eg. "xyz"
and it would show all music matching "xyz"
_and_
conditions of Filter Folder, ie. KeyDiff 0 or 1.

Lately, in the Filter Folder, searching for something like "abc",
shows me all music matching "abc", but these music does not match Keydiff 0 or 1.

Searching within a filter folder works fine for me.
However keep in mind that depending on your search settings, VirtualDJ may expand the search outside the current "folder".
When VirtualDJ expands the search, the results from the current folder are presented on top, followed by a separation line, and then results from the rest of the database.
If the current folder doesn't have any possible results at all, then VirtualDJ will only show the results "outside" of the current folder.
This has been the behavior of VirtualDJ for many many years.

Is it possible that when you did your search there were no possible results inside the filter folder and thus VirtualDJ returned results outside of it ?
Can you tell us which search options you have enabled ?

Posted Mon 27 Feb 23 @ 10:17 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
Search settings as:
searchInFolder = Yes

This.

For me, for some reason, this was "NO".
I don't need the other searches in 'Online Catalogs'.
Crisis averted, ha.

I found that over the months, certain settings just change/revert without any action from me.
I don't know why, but it happens, and there's no pattern to this.

PhantomDeejay wrote :

However keep in mind that depending on your search settings, VirtualDJ may expand the search outside the current "folder".
When VirtualDJ expands the search, the results from the current folder are presented on top, followed by a separation line, and then results from the rest of the database.

Yes, PhantomDeejay....I already knew about this nice feature.
I like it too, and for now, I think I solved my issue.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 23 @ 3:14 am