Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Vdj "freeze-pause like" issue
hi everybody-

Warning : long post following..

I am having a issue & maybe brainstorming it could give me a reason & a solution.

I have an older laptop (nec versapro i5 4th vk27vd-j , 8 gb ram , 128 ssd, 1 tb hdd, intel hd graphics 4600) 5 x usb 3 ports

This laptop is used for smaller events & include video-through hdmi (simple samplers on screen & tellyvisuals)
Latest public 32 bit vdj version -i need it for the tellyvisuals-
The battery is renewed (new elements inside -2 x 18650-) and it is still capable of max 20 minutes with controller load (ddj sb3)
I always run it on power of course.

So ...the issue :
First to say that when i had it running with a ddj wego2 (similar setup and devices load), never had any issue.

For the last 1 month where i am using it with a ddj sb3, at random times the vdj gui just "freezes" and the music pauses (stops playing) for 5-10 seconds and then it continues normally.
It is not a crash but a freeze.
it is like i pressed pause .

This situation can happen 1 time or none or 3 times during a event (random factor ? or explained further down).
-I have tried changing the usb cable (still happening) even with an oyade type cable
-Usb selective sleep is disabled from windows on all usb ports & hubs.
-windows is optimized for audio

On the time it happens connected to the laptop are :
-controller sb3
-1 external usb powered hdd with videos
-usb dongle for wirelles mouse
-usb dongle for wifi (laptop does not have built-in wifi)

Now comes the good part..the power in the booth of the venue:

I know for a fact that all power delivery in the booth is from one main source.
It is then distributed to more wall plugs in the booth (including the laptop power multiplug).
In the booth we have :
-Smoke machine switch on-off (yes the smoke machine draws power from inside the booth)
-Lamp-type spot (probably 250 watts) for disco ball & switch for on-of (it is on the same electrical load as the booth)
-1 amplifier for 2 small 8 inch peripheral speakers.
Actually the whole booth & the 2 main 12 inch self-powered speakers are on the same electrical network as the coffee machine & the fridges as far as i know !
When they switch on the coffe grinder i can hear it in the self powered speakers the event has.
Not ideal..

Yesterday it happened when i switched on the disco ball light...
So it is logical to assume that the power delivery in the booth is not stable...and everytime i switch something on (smoke machine-disco ball) it draws more power, and that affects the power distribution to the laptop resulting in the freezes ?

But what can i do to solve the issue ?
will a powered usb hub help ?
If i would plug the external hdd-usb wifi-usb mouse on the hub ?
The ddj sb3 must stay on the laptop.

Would that "relieve" some of the power distribution within the laptop when the power drain resulting from other devices switching on & over or under-loading the power happens ?

When this happens does it affect the ddj sb3 ? the laptop in general ? and that results in the "pause" & freeze of the vdj gui ?

any help would be apppreciated in solving the issue & sorry for the long post

If this post is in the wrong category, please move it to the right one..

thanks in advance

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 8:06 am
Have you done a latency test on the laptop?

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 8:10 am
should i do it with everything plugged in ? hdd-controller-mouse- wifi and vdj running ?

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 8:16 am
Probably best to. See if any latency spikes correspond with the drop outs

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 9:12 am
after testing (with all connected + video running shaders or video slideshows or playing video + or audio) i see the following :
- When running only audio (no internet-airplane mode on) all is green
-Wlan usb adapter gives yellow & warnings in latencymon when not in airplane mode (running & connected to internet).No dropouts happened (about 1 hour test)
-when in airplane mode all is green.No dropouts happened -about 1 hour test
- acpi is always calculating things , but still in the green

i noticed that vdj 64 bit has better cpu etc handling in general in windows.
But i need the 32bit version because of tellyvisuals.
so i am left to believe that the dropouts are caused by the horrific power distribution in the booth & venue.

So how can i solve this from my part (helping the laptop overcome these power fluctuations that happen when i turn something like disco ball or smoke machine on or off) ?

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 10:28 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Is the sb3 connected to the computer directly or through the powered hub, or does it have it's own power supply?
Normally the computer's power supply should be quite stable and able to handle fluctuations, so when connected & powered directly through the computer I would expect the controller to be fine as well.
Otherwise finding a better power supply for the usb hub or the sb3 itself might improve things.

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 11:37 am
yes, the sb3 is connected directly to the laptop.
no it does not have a power supply, it is bus powered.
-Otherwise finding a better power supply for the usb hub or the sb3 itself might improve things
the only way the sb3 can get power is the usb interface of the laptop.

i will keep on investigating & trying to pinpoint the "weak link" chain of events, so to find a solution

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 12:50 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Depending on the frequency it happens and the state of the laptop's battery, perhaps you could try playing from battery for a couple of hours to see if that makes a difference.

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 1:05 pm
i wish my battery gave me a few hours...
These old powerfull laptops came from design with a battery to hold only about 35-45 minutes (when new and not much stress)
my best time with "new cells" in the old battery is max 20 minutes with everything connected on the laptop (controller-hdd)

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 6:42 pm
Maybe invest in a UPS and run the laptop and your peripherals from that. Even a simple "surge protection" extension cable may solve it, if it's just power spikes.

Posted Sun 05 Feb 23 @ 6:54 pm
djliborPRO InfinityMember since 2013

Posted Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 1:17 am

Posted Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 7:05 am
When the issue happens (the music pauses) can you click on the screen to unpause the music?

In fact can you hit the play/pause button on the controller for the music to continue? or is the whole interface frozen?

The power source is very unlikely to cause the freezing, as mentioned earlier most laptop power supplies will be able to deal with spikes and fluctuations in voltage.

I would check your laptop for any event logs at the time it happened. Or you may need to consider whether it's a possible that the SB3 is faulty itself, as you mention it has never happened with your older controller.

Lastly check if the firmware and driver are up to date.

Posted Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 9:55 am
djliborPRO InfinityMember since 2013
I would not rule out a defect due to low voltage. The controller in the video most likely has a source fluctuation problem. Pioneer has never officially admitted this, but there are individuals who have increased the voltage of the source by about 0.2V and the problem has disappeared. So, I wouldn't be surprised if in your case it was also an under-dimensioned voltage.

Other similar problems were experienced by users with the DDJ-SX3 when they approached the controller with their mobile phone (wifi, GSM??). That seems unlikely to me, but you won't give anything for the test. Remove all mobile devices from a radius of at least 2m and perform the test.

Is this error regular or random? Does it happen every time with some activity or just occasionally randomly?

Posted Wed 15 Feb 23 @ 11:07 am
romeodan wrote :
hi everybody-

Warning : long post following..

I am having a issue & maybe brainstorming it could give me a reason & a solution.

I have an older laptop (nec versapro i5 4th vk27vd-j , 8 gb ram , 128 ssd, 1 tb hdd, intel hd graphics 4600) 5 x usb 3 ports

This laptop is used for smaller events & include video-through hdmi (simple samplers on screen & tellyvisuals)
Latest public 32 bit vdj version -i need it for the tellyvisuals-
The battery is renewed (new elements inside -2 x 18650-) and it is still capable of max 20 minutes with controller load (ddj sb3)
I always run it on power of course.

So ...the issue :
First to say that when i had it running with a ddj wego2 (similar setup and devices load), never had any issue.

For the last 1 month where i am using it with a ddj sb3, at random times the vdj gui just "freezes" and the music pauses (stops playing) for 5-10 seconds and then it continues normally.
It is not a crash but a freeze.
it is like i pressed pause .

This situation can happen 1 time or none or 3 times during a event (random factor ? or explained further down).
-I have tried changing the usb cable (still happening) even with an oyade type cable
-Usb selective sleep is disabled from windows on all usb ports & hubs.
-windows is optimized for audio

On the time it happens connected to the laptop are :
-controller sb3
-1 external usb powered hdd with videos
-usb dongle for wirelles mouse
-usb dongle for wifi (laptop does not have built-in wifi)

Now comes the good part..the power in the booth of the venue:

I know for a fact that all power delivery in the booth is from one main source.
It is then distributed to more wall plugs in the booth (including the laptop power multiplug).
In the booth we have :
-Smoke machine switch on-off (yes the smoke machine draws power from inside the booth)
-Lamp-type spot (probably 250 watts) for disco ball & switch for on-of (it is on the same electrical load as the booth)
-1 amplifier for 2 small 8 inch peripheral speakers.
Actually the whole booth & the 2 main 12 inch self-powered speakers are on the same electrical network as the coffee machine & the fridges as far as i know !
When they switch on the coffe grinder i can hear it in the self powered speakers the event has.
Not ideal..

Yesterday it happened when i switched on the disco ball light...
So it is logical to assume that the power delivery in the booth is not stable...and everytime i switch something on (smoke machine-disco ball) it draws more power, and that affects the power distribution to the laptop resulting in the freezes ?

But what can i do to solve the issue ?
will a powered usb hub help ?
If i would plug the external hdd-usb wifi-usb mouse on the hub ?
The ddj sb3 must stay on the laptop.

Would that "relieve" some of the power distribution within the laptop when the power drain resulting from other devices switching on & over or under-loading the power happens ?

When this happens does it affect the ddj sb3 ? the laptop in general ? and that results in the "pause" & freeze of the vdj gui ?

any help would be apppreciated in solving the issue & sorry for the long post

If this post is in the wrong category, please move it to the right one..

thanks in advance

Hi!
I have a same issue on my Macbook AIR M2/VDJ2023. Have you solved?
Cheers

Posted Mon 21 Aug 23 @ 2:42 pm